LA inspections & repairs - opinions please!

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4112 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi everyone, thanks for reading, I'd like some opinions on what to do in this situation please!

I've rented a house since February 2008, initially on 6 month AST, then 12 month, then 24 month. There are no issues with the deposit or anything. The letting agent has insisted on inspecting the property every 3 months, something I find very intrusive but have reluctantly allowed. The agent says this is so they can identify, and/or we can inform them of, any problems, repairs needed, etc. There have never been any issues with the way I keep the house, it's clean and tidy. My problem is that I've been reporting repairs that need doing, and pointing them out to the agent, since our first inspection in October 2008. The most important of these is the rotten back door frame, which would only need one good kick to get through the back door. The agent agrees this needs doing, especially since I've pointed out that this renders the house insecure, and quite likely would void my contents insurance should I be burgled. NONE of the repairs I've reported during inspections have been carried out.

My question is (finally!) - I've received another notice of inspection for next month. I want to refuse until they carry out repairs they've already been notified of. Can I do this? What are the possible consequences?

You can at any time refuse the agents access to the property, except in the case of a true emergency (i.e. flood/fire).

The possible consequences are affecting the relationship with the agent.

I would be inclined to write a short but polite letter back stating that you are not granting access to the property for inspection, as you believe the reason for inspections is to identify and resolve disrepair issues, which has not occurred. Therefore, you see it currently as a pointless invasion of privacy.

7 years in retail customer service

Expertise in letting and rental law for 6 years

By trade - I'm an IT engineer working in the housing sector.

Please note that any posts made by myself are for information only and should not and must not be taken as correct or factual. If in doubt, consult with a solicitor or other person of equal legal standing.

Please click the star if I have helped!!

IYKWIM

Huh??? :-D

Please note that any posts made by myself are for information only and should not and must not be taken as correct or factual. If in doubt, consult with a solicitor or other person of equal legal standing.

Worth checking the contract to see what you agreed to.

Maybe you could also say that for these reasons you will only permit access if the landlord is also present.

It says 'reasonable access' to be allowed by the tenant for inspection/repair. However, I don't think this is 'reasonable'.

The landlord lives in Ireland, and I've never met him. He avoids paying for things like the plague, but won't even confirm he isn't going to do a repair (not the one in question) so we can get permission to do it ourselves if we want it done that bad!

In any event, that reasonable access is against your fundamental right of "quiet enjoyment" of the property.