What is the definintion of DSS?

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5184 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Dumb question, I know.

Here's my situation... I'm a single mum who works 16hrs per week, therefore I receive Child & Working Tax Credits, as well as some help towards rent (at the moment, my HB is just over half my current rent, which is through a letting agent's).

Unfortuantely, I've been served with a Section 21 notice (the reason given from the agents is that the LL has had a change of circumstances and need to move into the property themselves **sob** :( ). I really don't want to go :( :( :(

Anyway, while I've been looking, both with agents and private LL's, I've noticed the "no DSS" condition and wondered exactly what does that cover? I specifically asked a private LL, who I'd contacted through a classified ad in my local paper, and he said it meant anyone claiming an unemployment benefit. Though when I asked an agent, they said it was anyone claiming HB.

Sorry if this is a bit long and rambling, but need to know where I stand when it comes to finding somewhere. My little boy starts school in September and need to be settled before then. :(

Woozel 1 - DCA 0

No DSS means no housing benefit tenants.

7 years in retail customer service

Expertise in letting and rental law for 6 years

By trade - I'm an IT engineer working in the housing sector.

Please note that any posts made by myself are for information only and should not and must not be taken as correct or factual. If in doubt, consult with a solicitor or other person of equal legal standing.

Please click the star if I have helped!!

The "No DSS" message could be for a number of reasons.

1. Where the landlord doesn't want to inform his mortgage provider that he's sub-letting.

2. Where a council tenant doesn't want to inform the council that he's sub-letting.

3. Stigma - due the perception of people on Benefits being dirty/unlcean.

4. More stigma - a belief that people on Benefits will just trash the place.

5. Even more stigma - that people on Benefits will spend all the money and the landlord won't see any of it.

If you're going through an Agency, it might be worth asking if they'll speak to the landlord and find out the reason for you. If you're not, then you could ask yourself.

I had an experience about 12 years ago where I queried why a landlord didn't accept DSS and was told that his previous tenants had wrecked the place before they left and he'd had to re-decorate throughout. Once he'd been told that I was a lone parent and a decent person.... and he'd also spoken with me.... I got the tenancy.

:)

Many thanks for the speedy responses.

MrShed, your's was the one I dreaded the most (but also the one I expected).

Priorityone, thank you too. I did speak to the agent and was honest (to the point of telling them that my credit score would be pants) and they did say they would contact the LL. Now I just have to wait.

Thanks to both of you though. You have cleared up my query anyway. :)

Oh one thing I did forget, I have a guarantor, the agency said that would help. Still not heard anything in a week though. :(

Edited by Woozel
Forgot something

Woozel 1 - DCA 0

By the way, I agree with P-One.

It is absolute stigma only.

Some of my best tenants have been those on Housing Benefit.

There is also the slight issue of payment in arrears by HB, and also the delay in initially getting it set up.

Do you have any extra funds kicking about? Payment of a month or two upfront may appease many landlords.

Please note that any posts made by myself are for information only and should not and must not be taken as correct or factual. If in doubt, consult with a solicitor or other person of equal legal standing.

I don't have the funds myself, but at a push I could ask some of my family. My mother has agreed to be guarantor.

I'm just panicking I guess; I have until mid March to find somewhere. I wouldn't qualify for social housing as I'm not legally homeless and have the means to rent privately.

Woozel 1 - DCA 0

A single mum should be rehoused, legally homeless or not. You are in a priority group.

Which area are you in out of interest?

I'm in Carlisle. I have a son who is 3 yrs old. He's due to start school in September, which is why I'm so stressed about finding somewhere long term. I can't get a mortgage because I don't have the deposit and I don't think any bank would consider me because I don't work full time.

I have applied to a housing association locally, but not heard anything back yet.

Edited by Woozel
Another point added

Woozel 1 - DCA 0

Have you tried Copeland Homes over there? They have HA properties in the area. Also known now as Home Group Ltd www.homegroup.org.uk

No problem!

I think Carlisle might be slightly north and east, but they do cover most of Cumbria TBH.

Certainly cover the likes of Kendal, Cockermouth, Whitehaven and Aspatria.

If they cant help, they almost certainly can point you in the right direction.

If you have no joy with them PM me - as I work in the sector I may be able to find something out for you with regards who covers Carlisle specifically.

• Haha 1

That's what I thought. But thank you so much! I'm having a look at their site now. I'll post here how I get on. Really appreciate your help. You're a star! :)

Woozel 1 - DCA 0

MrShed, tried to call the number on the website, but goes through to an emergency repairs number (which is fair dos at this time on a Sunday night!) I'll give them a bell in the morning. Thanks ever so much for your help. It's good to know there's someone there! Cheers and enjoy the rest (or little) of your weekend. :) :) :)

Woozel 1 - DCA 0

Yeh sorry should have said - opening hours 9-5 Mon-Fri :)

The number is ONLY repairs actually (miscomm on the site I think), but I;m sure the housing officers are based in the same office, so they should be able to put you through.