Can I really run 5K ?

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5182 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

At work so to save me time retyping please check out this thread.

For anyone with a brother or sister you will be fully aware of sibbling rivilary, well mine went a little too far when I said to my super fitness freak of a little sister that im her big brother and I could win her in any race haha . .To give an insight she has managed veggy diet, ran 5K last year and trains regular with speed swimming and treadmill in house also.

For my profile, I drink a few pints every night and have a beer belly 35 years old and never ran in my life, oh and till 3 months ago smoked 20 a day . . need I carry on lolllll..

Ok this was decided back in October and the race is May, I have NOT trained once yet or gave up my daily chippy routine or stopped drinking . I guess I need too hahaha. . .

So advise can this be done ? (please do not think I am asking if I can win her, i know this is not possible, my question is can I complete this which alone will shock her and everyone else who has laughed) .

On a serious note, her son is Autistic and we are doing it for Autism and getting sponcers from work colleagues and family. Bookie suggested I ask here also but im nervous to do this as do not wish to get banned and never done anything like this before so am even nervous about asking colleagues or family for sponsors as I feel like begging weird huh . lol.

I will know more tuesday as due at my sisters to register for this race and I got to pay her 25 pounds she got all the details so will let you all know.

any physical trainers online who can train me online lol.

hahaha cheers Dodgy, no way am I doing anything on an emmpty stomache so probably get a full english breaky before race rofl . .

Thanks for the sponsor :), however untill I have instruction from a site admin im not asking for any sponsors. .

Seriously, im due at my sisters on Tuesday to register and give her 25 pounds, she is so excited about this, im just thinking of a way to get out of it, I want to do it just know im in no fit state and as for training, I really dont think I got time, im kinda buisy all the time and im not really that active in life. lollll

There's the one Latty did, Ozzy:

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/bear-garden/187985-before-i-get-my.html

I don't think she needed permission, and I know people have posted before about needing votes, encouragement etc... so I'd post a link asap, report the post if it makes you feel better, and be done... ;-)

still here, i am. and still running. really, ozzie, you should take a look at my thread - because it was just exactly this time last year that i decided to do the race for life last may. i hadn't run for 25 years and my 67 year old friend had never, ever run. first time we ran, she literally ran about 50 feet and had to stop. my thread gives a pretty good week by week guide as to how we got on. bottom line, did the race - 37 minutes which was ok by us. and we enjoyed it so much that we've kept running once or twice a week and are now doing the first jane tomlinson hull 10k race this may.

so, i'm thinking, if a couple of old dears can do it - i'm betting you can too.

you gets lots of support from everyone here. and i raised over £800 for cancer research.

best of luck and start running.

(get a decent - not expensive - but decent pair of trainers - that is a must!)

you go, ozzie!

lattie

Exelent Lattie, thanks heaps for that !!! that is brill advise. I got to log off comp in 3 mins as finished work so will check out your thread tonight at home. i gots no trainers haha. but ty will get some, how do you know if they are decent ? im not into sport wear, what is cheapest i should pay ? .

Just start your training off slowly ozzy, just like me.

Every morning when I get up it's UP 1,2 DOWN 1,2.............

Then the other sock:p

If all else fails, kick them where it hurts and SOD'EM;)

Thanks heaps for all of your support, fir those wishing to sponsor me again a huge thanks ... what I will do is make my own little soap opera and post here on my progress of training leading up to the big day. this will be my lil diary.

To start today I done nothing, im going to wait till next week and get some running shoes and also I think once I have paid my sister for the race it will hit home and I will take it more serious. I do however want to do this for Autism and really hope I can achieve this, my lack of self discipline to train is not a reflection of my motivation to do this if that makes sense.

Dodgy, thanks for the praise on the giving up smoking. this was truly the hardest thing I have ever done, anyone who tells you it is easy is either lieing or chemically made of differant stuff to me lol.

I didnt cut down just gave myself a date and stopped (no im not that strong willed as I said everyday for 2 years no more cigs) . . it was agony, there were days I was close to tears and thats not like me as im generally a happy, calm positive bloke.

Ozzy good luck, if you are serious then start training but start small and increase the distance gradually. I'd also suggest that you start each training session with some serious stretching. I have sort of restarted jogging and just went out a 'jogged', BAD MISTAKE, I had to hobble back with 'pulled' calf muscles, it was chuffing painful.

just read an article on running in the paper last week. says most important is good shoes - personally, i bought a pair for £25. if you go to a store likesoccer sport and ask about running shoes and try on a couple of pairs you'll soon see what's good. arch support, bit of cushioning, good fit, no rubbing.

try a site like this one and filter in your size and maybe £20-30

or more if you want to spend more but you don't need to

and just take a look but you'll need to go try on a few and find a comfortable one. Footwear

and one like this one would do the job nicelyMT571BY

the other thing the article said was about avoiding injury. progress slowly, at you own pace and it says a brisk 10 minute walk at the beginning to warm up and at the end to cool down the muscles is the most important bit(i confess i do probably 5 minutes at either end). and the run, walk, run, walk strategy is good too. going just a little bit further each time will soon show remarkable progress.

a short run 3 times a week - then increasing the time you run rather than worrying about the mileage will get you there quickly. after about a month, start looking at increasing the distance but not too quickly. if you go too hard or too fast at the begining you increase your chance of injury, so just take it easy.

that ought to do it. good drink of water before and after also helps.

good luck. hope this helps

Edited by lateralus

Boredom is one of the biggest obstacles to training of any kind, so a good MP3 player is a must, with some solid beat to keep you going to the rythm. My exercise of choice is swimming, and I would just get bored of length after length until got myself a waterproof mp3 player, it made a huge difference!

Boredom is one of the biggest obstacles to training of any kind, so a good MP3 player is a must, with some solid beat to keep you going to the rythm. My exercise of choice is swimming, and I would just get bored of length after length until got myself a waterproof mp3 player, it made a huge difference!

I'm not sure about that being safe Bookie to be honest. I mean, what if there was a shark or something right by you, and you were swimming blissfully unawares listening to Shawaddywaddy or something? How could you possibly hear people shouting "SHARK!!! SHARK!!!". It's a bit dangerous in my book.

Just showing my concern for your well being Bookster:p.

Ah yes, I can see that would be a worry right there.

Let me alleviate your legitimate and touching fears:

I live in New Addington, on the Surrey/Kent border. To date -and I grant you you never know what may happen in the future- there have been no sightings of great whites in the area, possibly due to the fact that the nearest body of seawater is Brighton, some 40 miles away. Just in case the crafty buggers adapt sufficiently to non-saltwater, I have foiled them already by living a) on top of the hill, b) there is no river/lake/pond within miles of where I live.

Furthermore, just to reassure you fully, our swimming-pool, at the time where I usually go, is full of pensioners and ageing chavs who are as a rule considerably fatter, less fit and much much slower than I, thereby minimising the risk to me even further, as any shark worth his survival (and they are very, very good at surviving, remember) would go for the weakest target.

Finally, and so that no-one be under the slightest doubt whatsoever, the day I listen to Shawaddywaddy, the shark is welcome to come and take me, it will be clear that Alzheimer's got me in its cruel grip and I'd rather go sooner than later.

Thank you for your concern, it's good to know someone does care.

Ah yes, I can see that would be a worry right there.

Let me alleviate your legitimate and touching fears:

I live in New Addington, on the Surrey/Kent border. To date -and I grant you you never know what may happen in the future- there have been no sightings of great whites in the area, possibly due to the fact that the nearest body of seawater is Brighton, some 40 miles away. Just in case the crafty buggers adapt sufficiently to non-saltwiter, I have foiled them already by living a) on top of the hill, b) there is no river/lake/pond within miles of where I live.

Furthermore, just to reassure you fully, our swimming-pool, at the time where I usually go, is full of pensioners and ageing chavs who are as a rule considerably fatter, less fit and much much slower than I, thereby minimising the risk to me even further, as any shark worth his survival (and they are very, very good at surviving, remember) would go for the weakest target.

Finally, and so that no-one be under the slightest doubt whatsoever, the day I listen to Shawaddywaddy, the shark is welcome to come and take me, it will be clear that Alzheimer's got me in its cruel grip and I'd rather go sooner than later.

Thank you for your concern, it's good to know someone does care.

:lol::lol::lol::lol:

Thanks heaps for all your advise, I have been my sisters tonight to discuss and a few things I got wrong.

1) The race was for Manchester Bupa race, it is 10K not 5K. But it appears all places are taken for Autism.

2) The only other one in Manchester is one in September for 5K and you gotta dress up as a super hero. lol . .

I think my sister is looking into other options, I know she is dissapointed there are no places left.

don't know where you live ozzy - but the jane tomlinson runs are set up to run for any charity you choose. there is one in leeds, one in york and the two new ones this year are hull and a penine lancashire run. all are 10k, but hey, in for a penny, in for a pound! i'm sure your sis could manage and with a bit of training - so could you! tell her and see what she says (mind, if you live way south - it would be a bit far.