style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4057 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

So I came home today to find a hand delivered letter saying that A Rossendales Bailiff had been round to collect an outstanding council tax debt. It said it was a Magistrates liability order and warrant of distress and that I have 24 hours to pay. The debt is for £845.

I have moved a few times recently which is possibly why this has caught up with me but there are a couple of problems and I would really appreciate some advice.

Firstly, I don't have the money. I am a single mother of two and a full time student. I share a fully furnished student house with a friend.

Can the Bailiffs take his stuff as well? It is all in a locked room which I don't have the key for.

The only property I own is a bike, which I need to get around on and a tv as well as few bits of things for my kids,like a bunk bed. Would they still take this even though it won't cover the cost of the debt?

The debt is in my name and my ex partner's but they are only pursuing me, can I offer to pay half and redirect them to my ex for the rest?

I cannot get the money in 24 hours but I can get £400 next week. It says I have to pay in full and have no more options. I take it they are not very flexible on this rule?

I have rung up and left my name and number with the bailiff but would appreciate any advice that I can use to make arrangements or negotiate with.

Thanks in advance.

you may also be classed as vulnerable

as the debts in both names the council/bailiff will pursue who ever the can get the money from I'm afraid they wont split the debt it doesn't work like that

NATIONAL STANDARDS FOR ENFORCEMENT AGENTS may 2002

Those who might be potentially vulnerable include:

• the elderly;
  • people with a disability;
  • the seriously ill;
  • the recently bereaved;
  • single parent families;
  • pregnant women;
  • unemployed people; and,
  • those who have obvious difficulty in understanding, speaking or reading English

• 1 month later...

Hi,

Can someone please urgently help me. I have certificated bailiffs (Equita Ltd) coming tomorrow. However I live in a student house share and there are 6 of us. We all have locks on our doors and the tenancy agreement states that my agreement is for room 5. However we have a communal lounge area, kitchen and bathroom. I know by law that once a certificated bailiff has gained peaceful entry that he can break down locked bedroom and cupboard doors, I don't mind about my room (I think I will be letting them in as I own hardly anything and they can take what I have) my concern is for my fellow housemates would the bailiffs be able to brake down my fellow housemates bedroom doors?

Any help greatly appreciated.

TheyrCriminals

you should start your own thread

whats the debt for

please don't let them in thats when your problems relay start and the increase in fees will be massive

the tenancy agreement states that my agreement is for room 5.

can you scan and send this to to Equita with a letter explain that you live in a room in student accommodation and therefore have no assets

Hi Hallowitch,

Thanks for the reply. The thing is I really don't mind them knowing what I have, it's like I would rather get it over and done with then they can see how much I have got which is pittance. Once they are satisfied I have given them all I can then they should leave me alone, I mean I know they can come back and next time it need not be peaceful entry but if I have nothing to give them they can come back as many times as they want I don't care.

TheyrCriminals