Should I return all letters to sender?

lmd75
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5186 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I have left the UK and moved to another EU country with my partner and child.

I have a few credit card debts and have put some into dispute and others I simply bank transfer £1 a month on my terms as I have no job. They did not like this but I keep paying it every month. Is this a waste of time? Am I better of not paying anything then letting the six year thing pass?

However despite all my efforts they have still defaulted me and passed them on to various agencies.

I have a stack load of mail in my house which I rent out to family in the UK.

None of the creditors or agencies have my overseas address.

Is it a bad idea to simply put all the letters back in the post marked 'Not at this address'.

Also a family member said that someone came looking for me and they posted (hand delivered) a letter through the letterbox. The family member told them that I no longer lived here! Could this be a possible CCJ notice?

The mortgage is getting paid each month on time but what would happen if they started to receive all my statements and letters returned as undelivered?

A part of me is thinking that I should get all my mail redirected to my overseas address and write to all the DCA's /creditors and tell them that I am now living overseas with no job or money. However I am also thinking that I would be completely wasting my time with them as they are not going to simply say "OK - we will let you off for now!". Truth is that I cant pay them anything!

What is the best course of action here? Return to Sender?

Edited by lmd75

There is no equity in the property - it is a pure loss maker for me and I would love to hand it back to the lenders but I cant as I have family living there and I have a mutual agreement with them. I receive Housing Benefit from the family tenants but it does not cover the interest only on my mortgage (which is about £80 short). I also have to pay ground rent /buildings insurance which is a further £25 a month). This is costing me £100 a month - Well its actually costing my partner this as she is working and I am looking after the baby.

The equity of the property and mortgage payments have nothing to do with this. You are getting rent and any creditor can take action to attach any money they know that you have or that is due to you. The fact that they seize the rent which you need to pay the mortgage is immaterial. It will be a first come first served basis. That said for the avoidance of doubt this can only happen if they get a CCJ for the Credit Card Debt and know that you have income that they could attach and then obtain an order to seize the money. A lot of if's there and the fact that the court issuing the initial CCJ might not have jurisdiction could have prevented that chain reaction. To ensure that the lender does not pursue this path you need to make them aware that the property you are renting out is no longer your primary address and let them know where you are now domicile.

Edited by Coactum
missing "not" should read lender does not pursue

Coactum - You have been a great help. Thanks for replying to both my threads. I have just sent my brother a text in the UK to forward all my mail on. I will begin to draft letters to all my creditors informing them of situation. Do you think they and the DCA's will cease to write to my UK address when they have my new one?

I can see no reason why any creditor or their agent should persist in writing to the Uk it they know you are elsewhere. BTW i suggest you make no mention of renting out your UK residence. Simply state I'm not there I'm now at... etc. In otherword tell them the bare minimum and don't make yourself a hostage to their demands.