Garage carried out work without my agreement

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4088 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi All,

Looking for some advice on how I progress with this problem. I have a Suzuki Grand Vitara 2.0TDi and had to have an engine repair or a new engine fitted. I had been collecting quotations for a new engine and the cheapest I had was £1495 for supply and fit a new engine to my car. Well I contacted a company in Motherwell, Scotland and the chap I spoke to advised that he could more than likely repair the engine and it would be cheaper to do it this way. He also advised that they would uplift the car 'free of charge' and look at what work was required. I allowed them to take the car and a few days later the guy said they had been looking at the engine and noticed that because of the lack of supply of oil I would also need a new Turbo, or a repair carried out to this and new injectors. He hinted that the price for a new Turbo could be £1200. I thought that he was frightening me into what the work could cost, it certainly worked. I know nothing about cars other than they drive. Anyway, I said once you get the price please let me know total cost and I can make an informed decision. A few days later I get a call from one of his mechanics saying the work was complete and the bill was £2700 + VAT, totalling £3401. To say I was shocked is an understatement as if I had known it would cost that I would have told him to leave it seeing as I cannot afford to pay that charge. Can you please give me some URGENT and helpful advice on how I proceed with this as they still have my car and I am worried on how to proceed. Thanks in advance for your help and I am sorry I have waffled on.

Hi,

In my experience before any work is carried out, the customer has to sign the 'job card' which lists all what the customer requires to have done. As you havn't mentioned this I assume that you hav'nt signed anything. If this is the case they have indeed done what you have titled this thread. What did you say when they told you the 'good news'?

Please Note

The advice I offer will be based on the information given by the person needing it. All my advice is based on my experiences and knowledge gained in working in the motor and passenger transport industries in various capacities. Although my advice will always be sincere, it should be used as guidence only.

I would always urge to seek professional advice for clarification prior to taking any action.

Please click my scales at the bottom of my profile window on the left if you found my advice usefull.

Please Note

The advice I offer will be based on the information given by the person needing it. All my advice is based on my experiences and knowledge gained in working in the motor and passenger transport industries in various capacities. Although my advice will always be sincere, it should be used as guidence only.

I would always urge to seek face to face professional advice for clarification prior to taking any action.

Please click my reputation 'star' button at the bottom of my profile window on the left if you found my advice useful.

Ok, first step is to contact the service manager and ask him why he carried out the work without your written authorisation. Secondly, tell him that if you had known it was going to cost that much, you would not have agreed so ask him what he is going to do about it because they have done the work without you asking them. I would also speak to consumer direct who will put you in touch with trading standards. Basically, you may find yourself having to 'pay under protest' to get your car back and then persue them for a partial refund.

Do the above and let us know what happens. Take a look at this link for further guidance.

Trading Standards - Advice - Problems with Cars

Please Note

I would always urge to seek face to face professional advice for clarification prior to taking any action.

Please click my reputation 'star' button at the bottom of my profile window on the left if you found my advice useful.

Where no price was agreed prior to the work being done, the consumer shall be expected to pay only a reasonable charge. This does not allow a business to undertake work that was not previously sanctioned by a customer. It merely prevents exorbitant charges being made after the completion of any agreed work.