Dobermanns, The Bailiff and the Garden Fence / Gate

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5190 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi all

What is the law regarding a Bailiff who either climbs over a garden fence or enters via the back gate (doesn't get into the house btw) and gets bitten by "very nice friendly" Dobermann dogs guarding the property.

Do the poor dogs have to go up to the intruder and ask "Are you Mr nice Bailiff" before they do what most dogs will do -- protect their turf.

These dogs are in a PRIVATE place so by law I don't have to keep them indoors and they are NO danger to the public.

If the Bailiff gets bitten I would still be within my rights to refuse him entry into the house as he could then say "he's gained admittance".

If he needs treatment he can call on HIS mobile phone.

Any Bailiff reading this - DON'T EVEN THINK of coming anywhere near my place.

The dogs HATE you.

Cheers

jimbo

I had wondered this myself.

We have a large dog, he is incredibly friendly however he wouldn't take too kindly to someone leaping over our fence :p

Since we had the Bailiffs letter through the door in December I have put a sign on our front door to show that a large dog lives here and also a "beware dog running free" sign on the gate.

Mr Bailiff can now not say he hasnt been warned.

My other question would be - what if the dog doesnt bite the Bailiff but the bailiff let's him out of the garden (accidentally or otherwise). My dog is a very much loved pet, if he came to any harm could I hold the Bailiff accountable?

do you have a sign up saying 'beware of the dog' or something similar?

Hi there

I'd imagine he'd hear the Growling long before he got over the Fence - but I do have a sign both on the front door / gate and the garden gate.

They don't mind the Postman however.

Cheers

jimbo

do you have a sign up saying 'beware of the dog' or something similar?

They sound well trained Jimbo.

From a legal position, no sign is required if the dogs are in a secure privately owned garden.

The bailiff has entered at his own risk without invitation, similar if he was to enter your house, finding the door ajar and then fall down the trap door to the cellar. You would not be required to post a sign 'beware, I'm in the cellar and the door is open'

His own silly fault, which forms part of the risk of the job. It may of course be worthy to note that however fun it may seem to lock the trap door after him and screwing it shut, may consitute false imprisonment/kidnap.

About 15 months ago there was a report about just this situation.

It was so funny that I still burst into laughter just thinking about it.

Must see if I can find that thread ...

I really do appreciate all those 'thank you' emails - I'm glad I've been able to help. Apologies if I haven't acknowledged all of them.

You can also ding my gong if you prefer. :)

Hi there

I did think of making a sign saying

"K9 contact inevitably occurs on this property".

Is that "PC enough" for some of our more stupid Councils.

(OT BTW but I saw in the paper a Local Council was allowing TAXI DRIVER licence applications to be obtained and submitted IN BRAILLE :cool::cool:).

Shows what an utterly absurd Nation we have become - what with FEDUDAL BALIFF's etc whilst Bank bosses get MILLIONS for screwing up the whole economy.

Cheers

jimbo

I really do appreciate all those 'thank you' emails - I'm glad I've been able to help. Apologies if I haven't acknowledged all of them.

You can also ding my gong if you prefer. :)

I'm sure that you CAN be prosecuted and held liable if you DO display a sign as it is your acknowledgment that your dog COULD be dangerous.

I was given this advice by the police when someone put their hand through our gate to open it and the dog jumped up and 'scratched' their hand.

I would remove any such signs.

If anyone's worried about the wording of a sign than simply word it 'Be aware of the dog'. With so many people having allergies it seems a sensible enough statement...

Jimbo, I'm reminded of a doberman/collie cross I had. Great guard dog and companion. She did have a habit of not minding people in the house and being made a fuss of. But the minute they got up to leave she'd go for them. Literally. Had to take her out the room before anyone could leave!

Rae.

Edited by RaeUK
type o

Use the doberman photo sign saying "I live here". Many moons ago I used to breed and show boxers and later ran the Boxer Rescue for 25 years, I was "ticked off" for displaying Beware of Dog sign by LA and Police but was advised by the latter the sign I speak of is perfectly legal!!

WD

Use the doberman photo sign saying "I live here". Many moons ago I used to breed and show boxers and later ran the Boxer Rescue for 25 years, I was "ticked off" for displaying Beware of Dog sign by LA and Police but was advised by the latter the sign I speak of is perfectly legal!!

WD

I have a ***** living here sign on the front door.

My sign on the gate says CAUTION dog running free. I thought it was a good one because Im not saying the dog is dangerous, Im just saying that a dog lives here.

I was advised by police that My "Beware of the dog", and later my "Beware of the DogS"signeage were to be placed by way of a warning to any possible trespassers of the existence of dogs, not an advisory of their temperament.

When Married, My three dogs were all bark and no bite if someone entered in our presence and through the front door, the welcome one got was overwhelming, but very friendly, anyone attending in any other way

and my dogs took on a pack mentality and acted accordingly as they protected their family and territory.