Roxburghe - Talk Talk/Tiscali

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5138 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi, hope you guys can be of some help.

I got a "72 hour notice" letter from Roxburghe today with regard to a debt of £80 I apparently owe Talk Talk formerly Tiscali. Prior to Roxburghe getting their mits on the debt, it stood at about £60.

The debt relates to an internet contract I had with them about 3 years ago. Briefly: after 3 months of getting below 56kbps on a deal which suggested I'd be getting broadband of 2Mb, or whatever my line could handle (the line can handle 8Mb), I grew tired of trying to sort out the issue with customer services on the phone and their useless forums, and informed them that if the situation weren't sorted out then I'd be getting shot of them. It wasn't sorted out, they blamed the line and suggest I contact BT. I contacted BT and they said the line was fine. I got back in touch with Tiscali and demanded my service be terminated and a MAC be sent. I cancelled the direct debits and refused to pay them.

When I transfered to my new ISP I was immediately on speeds of 8Meg and have had no problems for the past 3 years, awesome.

But, now this letter arrives, and they're threatening court action. Do I have a leg to stand on?

ta muchly,

D.

alfwithhair, I have a 'notice of suspension' letter dated 16, May 2007, where they state that despite reminders, I've got an outstanding balance.

A letter dated 22 May, 2007, confirming my 'recent request' to cancel my account with them. It states that 'As your payments are collected in arrears please don't cancel your direct debits'.

A letter dated 19 June 2007 with my final account balance of £56.79

And a letter from Experto Credite dated 20 September 2007 also asking for £56.79

Unfortunately, I don't have any of the correspondence with Tiscali detailing the connection speed issues and general lack of service as it was either all done on their forum, on the phone, or by email :/

alfwithhair, I have a 'notice of suspension' letter dated 16, May 2007, where they state that despite reminders, I've got an outstanding balance.

A letter dated 22 May, 2007, confirming my 'recent request' to cancel my account with them. It states that 'As your payments are collected in arrears please don't cancel your direct debits'.

A letter dated 19 June 2007 with my final account balance of £56.79

And a letter from Experto Credite dated 20 September 2007 also asking for £56.79

Unfortunately, I don't have any of the correspondence with Tiscali detailing the connection speed issues and general lack of service as it was either all done on their forum, on the phone, or by email :/

Right so do you owe them £56.79?

I presume you did cancel the Direct Debit or they would not be an outstanding balance.

The first thing I would do is phone talk talk and ask if there is an outstanding balance and if so how much. If they say there ins't one, ask them to confirm this in writing. DO NOT mention about Roxburghe's letter or Crapito's

I presume you never replied to any of Crapito Credit's letters, hence them passing it on to Roxburghe.

Send this;

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/resources/templates-library/86-debt-collectors/573-general-debt-letter-if-you-know-nothing-of-the-debt

to Roxburghe.

DO NOT speak to Roxbughe on the phone or answer any security questions if they ring you. Give them no personal or bank details.

Their threat of court is just that, a threat to intimidate you into paying.

Thay will not be taking any court action for £60, not even worth it to them.

Any further letters from them then come back on here and we will see where to go next with the numpties

Alf

Technically, I guess I do owe them money, but morally I'd say I'm within my rights; they failed to provide a service and failed to act to restore an adequate service after months of complaining, so I cancelled the direct debit.

I didn't respond to Crapito Credit.

Roxburghe phoned last week, I had taken notice of others on the site recommending that you not speak to debt collectors on the phone, so I just hung up on them saying "no thank you".

I'll get on to Talk Talk, and ship the letter off to Roxburghe.

Thanks Alf, you've been a great help! :)

I have just had the same sort of letter, but for just a bit less money, and with nearly the same circumstances! I went 3 months without internet because of them, and eventually left for Sky after finally receiving my MAC. Someone at customer services at Tiscali assured me i would have a credit applied to my account as a good will gesture for my lack of internet usage. Now, 3 years at least later, this pops up!

I have just had the same sort of letter, but for just a bit less money, and with nearly the same circumstances! I went 3 months without internet because of them, and eventually left for Sky after finally receiving my MAC. Someone at customer services at Tiscali assured me i would have a credit applied to my account as a good will gesture for my lack of internet usage. Now, 3 years at least later, this pops up!

Do the same as thing as advised previously in the thread

Hello,

I was contacted last month by the same people - Roxburghe - who were trying to get me to pay ~ £80 for a debt i apparently owed Tiscali and now owe TalkTalk.

I was constantly rung up by another debt collection agency 2 or 3 years ago, and paid the debt off, but have no record of doing this as it was so long ago. My Credit and Current account records do not go back that far.

Roxburghe are now hounding me to collect the same debt that I have already paid off. When I asked them to send a letter to formalise this they said they would send it but advised me to pay them £24 to stop them sending it to their legal department. I refused to pay and am still awaiting their letter - by the way I gave them my company address, so they could not find out my current place of residence.

A week later I am still awaiting the letter, but keep on receiving text messages to call them.

Is anyone else in this positing, and what would your advice be.

I would like to contact the citizens advice Bearu, but have no evidence other than many text messages to show them.

Thanks

Guy

Links

Contact us - Welcome to Roxburghe - Fresh approach, better results

Ok. So today I received a "Notice of intended legal action" letter from Graham White Solicitors (dated the 9th Feb, arrived 16th). In it they advise me that should the matter come to court there would be costs involved which include a small claims summons (£35) at 8% interest annually, along with expenses. Also "In addition to this scale costs are set to £131.61, making the outstanding amount increase by a minimum of £170.

Now, I sent Roxburghe the letter suggested above by alfwithhair a week or so ago, so where to go now?

thanks, as ever!

I wouldn't bother doing anything further.

Did you send the letter to Roburghe recorded delivery?

Do you have proof it was received.

The wording of the letter says it all rearly

"should the matter come to court"

Should being the operative word, as it will not happen.

^ fffffffuuuuuu..... no, I sent it by standard post, balls, I knew there was something I should have done!

Resend it then and send Graham White one as well for good measure, even though they are just a legal threat front for Roxburghe.

A quote from another thread reads.

As far as the Law Society is concerned this iteration of "Graham White Solicitors" is not registered with them.

There is a Graham White Solicitors in Hertfordshire which is registered with the Law Society but they are nothing to do with this crowd and are somewhat miffed that someone else is using their name.

Edited by alfwithhair

• 3 weeks later...

OK. So I sent off the letters by recorded delivery on the 18th, got my reply from both Roxburghe and Graham White Solicitors today. The letter from GW was in an unsealed envelope, terribly shabby, that.

The letter from GW is dated the 23rd Feb and is titled "Final Notice" and states that "Our clients have instructed us to write to you one final time before they decide on what further action to take", then there's blurb about costs, payment plans, court papers, and sending a field investigator to visit my property.

The letter from Roxburghe is dated the 24th and they thank me for my recent communication, but advise me that "However as we are no longer acting in this matter, your correspondence has been forwarded on to our client with our request that they now attend to your communication and respond to you directly. As there is nothing further we can do to assist you we intend to now re-file out papers"

It seems, in my humble opinion, that they don't know their arses from their elbows ;)