• Tweets

• It probably won't be necessary but on the other hand, no harm done. You could send him notice that you are challenging the points in his advertisement. This the mount point by point and tell him that you are having these points independently assessed and that you will be proposing to recover the costs of an assessment from him in the event that he attempts to dispute any of it. I think if you lay down a paper trail and show that you have behaved transparently and warned him of any costs, that you will probably be awarded them. Once again, whether you can enforce it – is another matter.
    • Bankfodder thanks for your help and yes i am about 90 miles from the garage i have requested the advert from autotrader  waiting for that back.  the dealer is a garage and taxi /minibus firm with a big unit i have taken screen shots of the stock and sales on ebay  and cars for sale on autotrader i have a reciept for my purchase signed etc  so yes i know 30 days is up but like you said its the enforcing it may be an issue but ill take it up to the highcourt as seen on tv lol 
    • Letter said 10 going across company, 2 from cad team. Only 2 have been scored. Essentially I would have stayed but now my position is untenable I feel, how could I go back after being mistreated like this. So yes, I want more compensation because its been an unfair process.    We don't have a union. 
    • So your desired outcome is "going, but more money"?   How many people are leaving in total? Has a union or reps agreed the redundancy terms?
    • I can certainly see why your son booked there.  The place has rave reviews from previous guests.  I'm surprised they are being so unprofessional with your son.   On their page under "Questions" they've written   Hi there! On the booking listing on the search page it says free cancellation, however when I go to book it says non refundable. Please can you confirm whether there is free cancellation on this for November bookings? Thanks!   Hello, Our cancellation policy is free cancellation upto 60 days before arrival. However if White Cross Bay has to close due to a second lockdown, we will re schedule your stay or offer a full refund.   I would suggest your son write to them through Booking.com's internal messaging system (Bookings > Owls House > Contact the property) and if they don't reply within 48 hours demand that Booking.com intervene.    N.B.  After a certain amount of time and/or a certain amount of bookings this internal messaging system ceases to work for old bookings so it might fail, but, hey, it's worth a try, it'll only take 10 minutes..   On their COVID Info. page Booking.com go on about bookings after 6 April, basically saying that after that date everyone knows about COVID and that travelling is a risk so it's a good idea to book places that offer free cancellation.  However, before that date - which would apply to your son - I'm pretty sure they had some scheme where you could cancel even if not normally allowed.  Sorry to be vague, but again this is worth looking into.   I suggest these things on a "belt & braces" basis. Obviously keep fighting to get the money back through the Halifax as others have suggested!
  • Our picks

• @curryspcworld @TeamKnowhowUK - Samsung 75 8K TV - completely broken by Currys. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/426151-samsung-75-8k-tv-completely-broken-by-currys/&do=findComment&comment=5069075
      • 6 replies
    • @skinnyfoodco Skinny Foods. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/426130-skinny-foods/&do=findComment&comment=5068996
      • 8 replies
    • I’m in desperate need of help

I bought some clothes online in may through Evans and paid through PayPal
      returned them all seven days later

I waited the 14days for my refund and no refund came
      I put in a dispute through PayPal but I didn’t get any emails to escalate the case - PayPal closed it. 
      evans said they couldn’t refund the money because PayPal have cancelled the refund because of the open dispute

I contacted PayPal
      they said the dispute had been closed but Evans at no point had attempted a refund.
      fast forward to today

I’ve got copies of numerous messages sent to and from twitter messages as it’s the only way I can contact them
      I’ve also contacted their customer service too
      all I get is PayPal have cancelled refund because dispute is still open.

I have proved that the dispute is closed
      I have got an email saying that if Evans sent the refund they would accept it
      but up until the date I got the email they have not once attempted a refund .

I have sent them a letter before court email
      I have even offered to have the full refund as a gift card just to get this sorted !

I’m literally at the end of my tether and don’t know where to turn next !

i suffer with mental health issues and this is affecting my health and I’d saved the money for a year to buy these clothes as I’m on a low income .
    • In desperate need of help. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/425244-in-desperate-need-of-help/&do=findComment&comment=5067040
      • 29 replies

CCA 1974 and 2006 updates: Advice please

Please note that this topic has not had any new posts for the last 3835 days.

If you are trying to post a different story then you should start your own new thread. Posting on this thread is likely to mean that you won't get the help and advice that you need.

If you are trying to post information which is relevant to the story in this thread then please flag it up to the site team and they will allow you to post.

Thank you

Not sure if this is the right place to post this, but could do with a little clarification.

-----------

I had a card with Barclaycard since 2000, which for various reasons I've been unable to pay.

BUT .... I never signed a credit agreement with them - only an application form.

At the time I took out the card, it would have been regulated by the Consumer Credit Act 1974, which we all know has section 127, sub section 3, which basically says "if you never signed a Credit Agreement, there's nothing the Banks can do about the debt and the courts can't help so **** off" .... or words the that effect :)

HOWEVER .... the 2006 version the Consumer Credit Act appears to remove section 127(3), but also says:-

The repeal by this Act of—

(a) the words “(subject to subsections (3) and (4))” in subsection (1) of

section 127 of the 1974 Act,

(b) subsections (3) to (5) of that section, and

© the words “or 127(3)” in subsection (3) of section 185 of that Act,

has no effect in relation to improperly-executed agreements made before the commencement of section 15 of this Act.

Does this mean that, because I took out the card BEFORE 2006, I'm still covered by the 1974 Act and Barclayshark can go jump?

At this point someone please say "Yes, you're covered, BC can go jump, good luck in court" !! :)

Cheers

SamCam

As you took the card out prior to 2006, you are still able to use s127(3).

However, some Courts do find application forms enforceable, as indeed some of them are, so be very careful.

Have a look at these links which may help you understand the enforceabilty of the paperwork (courtesy of 42man & steven4064) -

Is My Agreement Enforceable - Useful

Consumer Credit Agreements

Help us to keep on helping.

Please consider making a donation, however small, if you have benefited from advice on the forums.

This site is run solely on donations.

You can make a donation

HERE. Thank you.

Any advice & opinions given by supasnooper are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability.

Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

Hi supasnooper,

This is what I was sent:-

application0001.jpg

http://www.campbellphotographic.co.uk/images/application0001.jpg

Yes, that's how clear it really is!

At the bottom by my signature I think it says "This is a Credit Agreement regulated by the Consumer Credit Act 1974. Sign only if you want to be bound by its terms".

Nothing else is really ledgable and there are certainly no Prescribed Terms or APRs, interest rates, etc.

Just because it says "Credit Agreement" by my signature, does that mean they can enforce it?

How can they enforce something that does not provide the Credit Limit, Interest Rate and Repayment if it isn't visible ?

They can't (well they shouldn't be able to ! ) ....and also a Judge may well take them to task about the legibility.

My earlier point about enforceable application Forms is still valid as some do contain the prescribed terms.

Help us to keep on helping.

Please consider making a donation, however small, if you have benefited from advice on the forums.

This site is run solely on donations.

You can make a donation

HERE. Thank you.

Any advice & opinions given by supasnooper are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability.

Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

Looks a bit pants as applications go.

Just out of intererst; that bit under no. 11 - does that allow you to say no to their card protection? I have no idea if it's the same as with PPI, but it seems a bit iffy if you have to take it out?

Time flies like an arrow...

Fruit flies like a banana.

• 2 weeks later...

I sent a letter to FOS stating that this wasn't a credit agreement and was unenforceable.

There response was that because it has "credit agreement" written on it that makes it a credit agreement!

Also, the FOS don't care if there is a credit agreement or not!

Here's there letter:-

FOSresponsetoCCA0001.jpg

http://www.campbellphotographic.co.uk/images/FOSresponsetoCCA0001.jpg

• 1 month later...

OK. I wrote to the FOS again say that this wasn't a credit agreement and it wasn't enforceable, blah, blah.

They just wrote back saying yes it is and also, even if it wasn't, they take the view that "you borrowed the money, now you have to pay it back". They're not interested in paperwork or little things like "the Law".

They contacted Barclaycard and made an offer on my behalf even though I specifically told them I didn't want to make any offer of payment to them!

BUT .... Barclaycard have agreed to let me pay £1 a month for 6 months with no interests added. Then if I go through a debt counselling service they may accept minimal payments.

They will also pay back the PPI plus 8% on the card as they accept this was missold.

The card debt is currently about £12K

PPI payback will be about £1.5K

They have no signed credit agreement (because I never signed one - only the application form) and my wife and I are on low income and have no way of paying this back.....

SO WHAT WOULD YOU GUYS DO!?

Would really appreciate some opinions. My biggest concern is that the courts suddenly start taking the moral high ground and start making people pay back debts/say they're enforceable, even without the correct paperwork.

Hope to hear from you all soon,

SamCam

I would ignore the FOS, they are not interested in what is legal, they are probably trying to prevent a collapse of the entire banking system, not enforce or demand that the law is properly adhered to. You are challenging the legality of this, so they are a waste of your time. You clearly do not have an agreement there, you only have an application form with no prescribed terms.

Did you CCA the creditor to get this? If so you can put the account into dispute after the 12+2 working days on the basis that they have not provided you with the agreement. If you got it some other way, then send off your CCA request, give them the 12+2 working days, see if they send you the same thing, and then write to say the account is in dispute and they cannot collect on it - you can choose to stop paying then if you want on that basis.

Then let them try and take you to court...if they do, you can demand they show you the documentation they will be relying on, i.e. that there is a signed agreement with all the prescribed terms even before going to court.

It really doesn't matter what FOS thinks, at the end of the day all they are is window dressing to make it look as if there is an unbiased adjudicator .... of course we all know differently particularly when they state themselves that they do not have to take into account the law when arriving at their decision. :rolleyes:

Anthrax alert at debt collectors caused by box of doughnuts

Make sure you do not post anything which identifies you. Although we can remove certain things from the site unless it's done in a timely manner everything you post will appear in Google cache & we do not have any control over that.

Vir prudens non contra ventum mingit

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

17 Port & Maritime Regiment RCT

Hi Redfish,

No, I got it from a SARs request. My CCA requests (many of them) have only ever turned up unsigned T&Cs.

This has been going on for a while. I have other threads on here too. Main one here:-

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/general-debt-issues/162487-hello-newbie-need-lots.html

Good! Then if you've sent them the account in dispute letter and stopped paying, just sit back and relax until/if they try and take you to court for real (not just threaten). Ignore their threats and don't start paying token amounts otherwise the debt will never be statute barred after 6 years, it will keep going on forever. If you pay nothing, then 6 years after the last payment they cannot chase you for it and your credit record cannot mention it.