Advent Computer Training (Barclays Partner Finance)Info and discussion thread

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3859 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I have just spoken to barclays and they have said that in their terms and conditions they have to supply an alternative training provider, so that is what they are now sourcing, if they haven't found one by my payment date my account will be frozen. so thats a bit of positive news. This is apparently effecting 6500 customers.

• Replies 5.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Does anyone know if there is any protection for those that have already paid their loan off with Barclaycard but was still doing the course? I paid the Barclaycard loan off in November to prevent the high APR. I would still really like to do the course but there is no way I could pay the £5000+ for the course again!

i am the same I have paid off the loan to avoid the high APR, don't think barclays will be writing to all those who have paid the loan off

Hi Folks,

I'm another one in the same position, my course cost 5k and I signed up for it about a year ago. I have had only a small amount of course material from them, I was struggling to get my A+ done in time before the exam changed so they let me start the first web design part so have that stuff.

I don't know if you were told the same as me when you signed up for the Barclay's finance that after a year you should re-finance it to save astronomical interest being charged, this is what I have done and have been sooo worried that I have lost the money and have no come back as a result. This is apparantly not the case.

I have just spoken to a lady at Barclay's who has said that Barclay's have a legal obligation to us (thier clients) to fullfill the agreement made i.e our training.

At the moment I have been advised that they are looking at using a different training provider to ensure we recieve the rest of our training and she has assured me that if this is something they can do that our training will be exactly the same as advent were to provide and will be at no additional cost to us, if they cannot find a suitable training provider then they will look at cancelling the loans.

We are all to recieve a letter within the next 7 days confirming this and with whatever additional info that they can give us.

The lady also said that for those who have already paid off/re-financed thier loans (like me) then we shall be treated no differently to those who have not as they still have a legal obligation to us.

I hope that this info I have received is helpful to you, I guess that for the moment we shall just have to sit tight and see what is to happen.

I certainly feel better for speaking to her though, their number is 0844 811 9000 might be easier if you have your agreement number handy.

I have just spoken to barclays and they have said that in their terms and conditions they have to supply an alternative training provider, so that is what they are now sourcing, if they haven't found one by my payment date my account will be frozen. so thats a bit of positive news. This is apparently effecting 6500 customers.

So basically means that the some who dont want to chance being in this position again cannot get a refund?

I'm based in Manchester and in the same position!

Even if Barclays find another training provider I do not think it's right that we are expected to just accept this. I, like many of you want my money back and feel very disappointed that they just sent us all a generic email which looked like junk!

I think that it's crap aswell that we have been given next to no info from Advent themselves in an email that looks and reads extremely unproffessional. I'm sure many of you took some security in the fact that after the course was over you were pretty much guaranteed a job, so if Barclays do decide to use another training provider I'm thinking our immediate employment prospects are grimm?

USEFUL INFORMATION: The company has NOT gone into liquidation, it has just stopped trading which is irresponsible of the officers of the company. The officers of the company should at least put the company into liquidation so that we have someone to contact. Instead we have all been left in the dark having to take time out of our working lives to sort this out.

Alot of us are not interested in any alternative training programme and all we want is our money that we have paid to be refunded and the future payments stopped.

I have mentioned this to one large solicitor in Manchester to see if he would be interested in acting on behalf of all the creditors on a collective basis. (we should all unite together).

It seems strange that the directors are involved in other companies with similar names ...would be interesting to know the financial standing of these!

Mat_F Career development loan number:

0844 811 4449

I gave them a call earlier. Not only is it a nightmare trying to get them to understand plain English, they claim to know nothing about the situation and it seems like they don't give a crap anyway.

Basically, Avent have had their money from Barclays, Barclays have had their money from me, so I am expected to take it on the chin and put it down to experience.

If anyone manages to find out where this Andrew Allchurch lives, be sure to let me know.

Alot of us are not interested in any alternative training programme and all we want is our money that we have paid to be refunded and the future payments stopped.

Agree! I think they should offer us a choice to have an alternative provider or get a refund.

--edit

Has anyone been in a Barclays Bank Office yet? I was told that I should go there and write a form for refund, as they can not do it verbally by phone.

This is just a complete and utter horlicks to put it politely ive also just gave barclays a call and they have basically told me keep paying they are trying to find an alternative now i dont want to do that its just been a complete waste of my time and money surely they have broken the contract by not fulfilling what they are supposed to be doing which is providing us training i live in Belfast and its a nightmare getting over at the best of times not to mention costs me a fortune surely there must be a way to get money back or not have to pay anymore.

Barclays WANT to find an alternative training provider so they lose less money. They don't care what level of training we get or the reputation of the training programme.

We should use this solicitor to act on behalf of all of us, to say we do not want any other training provider, we want our money back and future payments stopped.

If any of us want to continue with the course, we should find this ourselves, as barclays is a bank and does not have a clue about training, courses etc. They are only looking and numbers, figures, £ at how much THEY can recover. We have to look out for ourselves.

I will NOT settle. I am not happy to continue with someone else.

What we ALL need to do:

1) Phone Watchdog

2) Phone H&M Revenue & customs to put pressure on the Directors (Andrew Allchurch etc)- to urge them to act responsibly.

3) Speak to Consumer Direct

4) Speak to The Department of Trade and Industry to have the Directors disqualified to act as Directors in the future! (looks a little strange all those other company names - see below)

CoRegNo Company Name Appt Date

05260747 ACCESS 2 CAREERS LIMITED Director 31 Dec 2004

06687942 ACCESS TRAINING & EDUCATION LIMITEDDirector 03 Sep 2008

06373522 ADVENT (2) LIMITED Director 01 Apr 2009

04511374 ADVENT COMPUTER TRAINING LIMITED Director 14 Aug 2002

04345224 ALLCHURCH & ASSOCIATES LIMITED Director 24 Dec 2001

05625504 IDEAS FOR CAREERS LIMITED Director 16 Nov 2005

5) Call the press to put more pressure on.

Barclays should NOT be allowed to issue use with another service provider when it is clear banks only care about themselves and NOT us!

Why should barclays been allowed to interfer by offering an alternative training provider and deciding whether we should pay or not. We have not had a service that is satisfactory or the full course. So we should not have to pay for it!!!

I know just about as much officially as anyone can at this moment in time:

The directors of Advent are also the directors of Access, they are sister companies.

The following has happend to both Advent and Access:

17/12/2009 - Barclays Finance instead of releasing approx 3 million (yes you may not have know that, Advent/Access were not paid your money straight away it was released slowly & large amounts were held back to cover students that staterted the course and did not do the work and did not get a job and subsiquently did not pay Barclays back)for 2010 cash flow & instead advised that they were giving Advent/Access 6 to 9 months to find a new financer as they wished to withdraw from the training industry.

W/C 04/01/10 - Advent/Access had to start cutting operating costs by laying off tele appointers and some admin staff, however this was not enough. They intended to start their own finance company to no loner be dependant on another company and to allow more people in different situations to be able to study with us.

18/01/2010 - All training advisors were advised that Barclays Finance had withdrawn all finance full stop and there was now a cash flow situation as no money had been released.

19/01/2010 to 26/01/2010 - Advent/Access directors were in talks with Barclays Finance to prevent the complete closure of the business, at worst when I left they thought they would just stop new courses being offered and keep both training centres open for existing students to complete their training.

27/01/2010 - The directors were unable to secure ongoing funding and therefore are making arangements for the company to be placed into come form of insolvency process.

Staff have been advised to wait to hear from the insolvency practioner as to be fair from a business point of view there is nothing else the directors can do. Barclays have withdrawn all funding. The money is there for you to get it back, it was speculated that they were holding 6 million in total, thats why what has happend has happend.

If you are with Barclays Finance please, please contact them asap on the number that has been provided.

If you paid cash there is nothing you can do until the Insolvency Practitioner contacts you and they will contact you but may be with the next 7 days.

I would also like to point out to you to get the good deals with Barclays Finance we also had to pay them a fee for each finance package the students had. So it really isn't as cut and shut as poeple may think. Im a good person and got a real kick out of helping people get on the right track to get a new career and I am gutted for all of you and all of my colleges who are now facing redundancy with probably very little pay if any at all and now in exactly the same situation as you were when you came to us for help!

I hope this helps a little. :-(

Much appreciated Lindsay.

So the best option for me who took the Barclays Partner Finance to do is phone them and ask where i stand?

Yes, get in touch with them as quickly as you can, if they had not withdrawn funding I would still be in a job and you would still be on your training course!

BPF is just giving the standard answer that they are looking into alternative training providers... I have to write them a letter as my address has changed since the loan was paid off, they couldn't find my account number as the loan has now been archived.... but I will still be included in the offer of alternative training.

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3859 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks