• Tweets

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

What we do if you ask for charges back

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6452 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

At Capital One-

All DPA request are sent to katherine Blunt in legal department. However, you don't need to send a DPA request to see the last six years of statements. At the moment copy statements are free, we used to charge £10 but the powers that be are currently rethinking that based on how many requests we recieve.

Do we have an email address for this Katherine girl? ;)

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, just read your thread re above and note that it relates to personal account holders only. I have several business accounts with RBS and was wondering if you knew what the correct procedure is for businesses. Should I deal direct with my business manager or approach a central department. I made a preliminary approach to him and he offered me £500 and I am looking for approx £7000. Dont want to rock the boat with him too much as it might jeopardise my business.:eek:

Any advice?

• 2 weeks later...

Its nice to know the whole bank aren't just greedy money grabbers driven by profit. Thanks for the post goodsamiritan gives you the confidence to go ahead and do it. Barclaycard next target. Are charges for cash withdrawals on a credit card reclaimable??

HSBC - £458 - PRELIM SENT 04/07/06

BARCLAYCARD NEXT

Hello jarogold,

I can not tell you what the correct procedure is for RBS business accounts. However, if you have not yet read tedblue's thread titled 'RBS', it is well worth reading it before deciding how best to proceed. I don't want to put you off by referring to tedblue's difficulties, just help you find the best method. You could try sending a Private Message to tedblue to ask his advice but bear in mind he could be in extremis at present. Also hopefully 'thegoodsamaritan' will be back soon to help you out.

Regards,

Bean

Lloyds TSB - 27/11/06 - £6377 paidrest with FOS

SETTLED

Cap One - 6/10/06 - £875

Lloyds TSB (MC) - 20/10/06 (BY DEF) £372

Hitachi Cap - Nov. 06 - £207

Citi Cards - 28/12//06 - £220

Monument - 23/1/07 - £889

Barclaycard (Mrs. Bean) - 19/2/07 £376

Opinions / advice of Bean are independent, informal, without prejudice, without liability, not CAG endorsed. If in doubt, ask a qualified professional.

So Capital one have decided to pay the balance on all charges over £12? But how far are they prepared to go when they are challenged for the full amount whistleblowingfairy??

Do they cave in fairly quickly or do they drag everything out to the last minute??

i've been told if a settlement form comes back not accepting the reduced fees, we're to send out another letter saying that our offer is still open but it is the final response and if you're not happy with our final response, you can complain to the FOS. So you're more than likely have to go to court to get more back

According to the CPRs, an email or fax is as good as a letter.

• Confused 1

If you feel that we have helped you, or you would like to help keep this web site running so that others can continue to get their money back, please click the donate button at the top of the forum.

Advice & opinions of Dave, The Bank Action Group and The Consumer Action Group are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability.

Use your own judgment. Seek advice of a qualified insured professional if you have any doubts.

------------

Add me as your friend on FaceBook - I need all the friends I can get :-(

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=577405151

------------

Now to hopefully stop the other letters coming in, we're reducing the charges you've received in the last six years down to £12.

Nothing to do with the OFT stating that they would take legal action if a charge was over 12 quid then? ;-)

If you feel that we have helped you, or you would like to help keep this web site running so that others can continue to get their money back, please click the donate button at the top of the forum.

Advice & opinions of Dave, The Bank Action Group and The Consumer Action Group are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability.

Use your own judgment. Seek advice of a qualified insured professional if you have any doubts.

------------

------------

I appreciate what you are saying, but it's largely irrelevent what the bank thinks - the CPRs clearly state that email/fax are the same as sending a letter as far as the law is concerned.

------------

------------

you can't email.

:) We have in nearly almost all of our communication with Halifax.

Go on ... you know you want to click me

:lol:don't be like the banks - give a little back :lol:

:) There was a time before CAG but now CAG is here we are the empowered! :)

Advice & opinions of mechs' wife are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Seek advice of a qualified insured professional if you have any doubts.

• 1 month later...

I can endorese the 'good eggs' theory.

As an IFA I frequently have to argue with insurers and others on behalf of clients and invariably the foot soldiers are helpful and sympathetic.

We find it helps enormously to be polite, cheerful and if possible humourous with them. Make them understand that you know that they are merely employees doing their job and stress that you are not getting at them personally but at their employers. Trade on their alienation, especially call centre staff. It's surprising what you can achieve.

We deal with Banks as well. They hate it when we turn up with an authority letter and start quizzing them. After they are ONLY a bank. Just another supplier to you as an individual.

The really sad thing is that our economy needs strong successful banks but the current institutions just feel that they are fireproof. What actually needs to happen is for one to go bust. That would make them think.

On top of that they are now running really scared of a credit crunch and bad debts. I can categorically state thate their lending practices and loan underwriting procedures are catastrophically bad.

End of rant.

Lola

Guest NATTIE

Not sure I entirely agree with the last point NOW, but I wouldn't disagree with lending practices that have happened which are caused by targets set from on high. Staff then get sacked but customers whose accounts have been affected rarely see that they are contacted to rectify a situation because the that would mean paying loan back and not being able to process the loan in the first place

I get really p****d off when l see posts from (especially experienced) forum members criticising or turning their noses up at information provided by people like Good Samaritan, Whistle-Blowing-Fairy and Natwest Staff Member.

Surely, these 'foot soldiers' of the banking industry are providing all of us with an invaluable insight into what the banks and c/c companies are planning to counter our campaign. They have little to gain from the banks' greedy policies, other than staying in work.

For God's sake, they may be putting their careers on the line to contribute to this forum! We could at least be grateful.......unless some of us think they are 'double agents'....which l, personally, believe is unlikely.

I hate the banks and c/c companies as much as (and probably more than) most people on this forum, but l'd like to thank these contributors for their valuable 'inside information'. Get real some of you! icon8.gif

Dear Natweststaffmemeber - I don't follow;-

"Staff then get sacked but customers whose accounts have been affected rarely see that they are contacted to rectify a situation because the that would mean paying loan back and not being able to process the loan in the first place"

Please elucidate.

Ahh, do I understand that you do not think that they are running scared of bad debts and credit crunch?

Lola

Guest NATTIE

I will give you a few examples that i have read from these threads and tell you what has happened. I cannot be absolutely specific on cases that i am aware of personally as I am a current employee and to do so would identify me, which has consequences for me.

A few threads have stated that figures were bumped up to make sure loans would go through and I am sure that other cases will emerge similar to these things. Problem is that when/or if someone complains the member of staff will be sacked most likely, and yet the bank will not say right, pay back the loan and you cannot have the amount you want. Internally if it is found out, that member of staff will be sacked but no action is taken re the loan provided. Why have these things happened? The answer is targets set by the bank for loans, which lead to people being disciplined for not hitting targets and therefore, some have and may cut corners to get their target.

All financial institutions are guarding against bad debts but a few years ago I would argue that what you have said is correct. Poor lending practices, poor checking of income criteria and proof of it. I could give specific examples not just NW but that compromises myself.

I'll give one further example of NW. A few years ago NatWest lowered the income criteria for a credit card to £5k gross income. Totally irresponsible in my opinion and in other branch staff opinions. That did then go back to what it is today and previously which is £10k gross income.

Do we have an email address for this Katherine girl? ;)

When i was in the middle of my claim with Capital One and i had issued court proceedings they were running out of time for the deadline and i had sent them a letter recorded delivery telling them that i believe the ammount that they were offering was wrong as they disputed the ammount i was claiming with MCOL, but told them that i had got the charges from their statements and now there was the interest ontop. I rang them and told them that they had to file their defence in the next day or two and if they were looking at settling why i had no response from the sheet that i sent them with the breakdown of the charges to show that the ammount i was claiming was correct. They said they havent received the letter even though it was signed for but asked if i would send them another copy so they can check it. Said how about i send it to you via email which will be quicker and will make sure that she receives it this time. She gave me her email addy and i sent it to her and she rang me that day and said she got it and will go through the charges i was claiming and would ring me up at 9am the next day to let me know if they will pay what i was claiming if it was right. She rang me at 9.02am and told me Capital One will pay the whole ammount i was claiming and will get a cheque out to me asap and told me to contact the court and tell them that it has been settled out of court. Now the person i dealt with was another person from the ERC and not Katherine Blunt as she was on holiday. Now i didnt receive the cheque untill two days ago but it took them 3 weeks to issue it and she told me 7 days i would have it so i kept contacting her through email regarding the claim with no problems. Now her email addy was, i best not mention her name unless i am allowed to on the person i did deal with but surely all you have to do is replace the names but along the lines of [email protected] for instance no?

• Confused 1

If you find this info useful please click on the scales in the bottom left corner of the thread :wink:

Vodafone To Remove Default Notices thread

Paid In Full HSBC Was Claiming £3851.42 But Instead of Paying Me Decided to pay my £4900 Loan OffDG Solictors. Need Help

Concluded Lloyds TSB 27/05/2006 Action Against LloydsTSB

Concluded Lloyds TSB for Girlfriend. 27/05/2006

Paid In Full Capital One £160 Settled

Paid In Full Capital One Sent 15/05/06 for £1372 for Girlfriend

Paid In Full Cetelem £130 Settled

Paid In Full The AA £400 Settled

Paid In Full First National £160 Settled

PDA LloydsTsb Credit Card Hand Delivered 26/04/06 £180

• 12 years later...

This topic was closed on 03/07/19.

If you have a problem which is similar to the issues raised in this topic, then please start a new thread and you will get help and support there.

If you would like to post up some information which is relevant to this particular topic then please flag the issue up to the site team and the thread will be reopened.

- Consumer Action Group

(Yes I work for a bank but am here to help! Please be nice to me! :))

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6452 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks