Credit industry to rethink register response - 27/01/2010

PGH7447

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4324 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

The credit industry may have to rethink its submission to the Ministry of Justice (MoJ) consultation on the future of the edited electoral roll, following talks with department officials.

The MoJ is currently seeking views on different options for how the edited electoral roll can be used in future and a cross-industry working party has held meetings with a view to making a unified response.

The working party comprises trade bodies such as the Credit Services Association, the British Bankers’ Association, the Finance and Leasing Association and the credit reference agencies.

The option which is understood to be a preferred way forward for the credit industry is option three, which proposes abolishing the edited register as soon as practicable, but extending access to the full electoral register for other purposes to be decided.

However it is understood that the MoJ wishes to separate these two decisions and industry insiders privately expressed disappointment with the MoJ’s stance to Credit Today.

The MoJ would only issue a statement saying: "The consultation does not close until February 23. Therefore, we are still seeking views."

In the consultation document there are three options on abolishing the edited register and three for retaining it.

Among the former, one option would abolish it quickly by amending legislation. Options in the latter category include retaining the edited register, but imposing legal restrictions on who can purchase it.

The document can be viewed at: Electoral registers - proposed changes to the Edited Register - Ministry of Justice

PGH7447

Getting There Slowly

---------

Advice is given freely but is in no way meant to be taken as Gospel:-)

If they did get rid of the edited register and allowed CRAs free access to the unedited register, would they in effect be making the registering with CRAs compulsory by the back door?

This would seemingly fly in the face of the DPA, since there is no option to refuse permission to process

Hope this helps

If you feel that this site has helped you in any way please leave a donation if you can afford to do so.

If you feel that have been helpful please feel free to tip the scales.

The large print giveth, but the small print taketh away. ~Tom Waits, Small Change

Please note: i am not a qualified lawyer, any advice is offered in good faith and is based on my own and others experiences and a penchant for research and a desire to help others to empower themselves

Although the Edited version can be opted out of I agree it should be done away with

In my opinion the next move should be to have the full version made private and not on open display at Council Offices (Not sure if Libraries still have it on view) as I for one don't want or agree with any Tom/Dick/Harry being able to walk in and get my details

R

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC] I asked them to wait whilst I got my Bank card :violin:

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Information that may help if a CCA request is refused due to the lack of a signature . . http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?248863-Signature-demands-fight-back-possible-!&highlight=

sorry spam but they already have access to the full register

A copy of the full register can only be sold to those organisations listed in Regulations 113 and 114 of the Representation of the People (England and Wales) Regulations 2001 and equivalent legislation in Northern Ireland and Scotland. Those organisations are Government Departments (including the Environment Agency, the Financial Services Authority and any public body which carries out the vetting of any person for the purpose of safeguarding national security) and Credit Reference Agencies. Currently, Credit Reference

Agencies are the only commercial organisations permitted by law to buy the full register

PGH7447

Getting There Slowly

---------

We should have let the whole financial system slide silently under - where it belongs.

Hope this helps

If you feel that this site has helped you in any way please leave a donation if you can afford to do so.

If you feel that have been helpful please feel free to tip the scales.

The large print giveth, but the small print taketh away. ~Tom Waits, Small Change

Please note: i am not a qualified lawyer, any advice is offered in good faith and is based on my own and others experiences and a penchant for research and a desire to help others to empower themselves

Did anyone else spot this relating to the full register which will still be sold to CRAs

The Government has legislated in the Political Parties and Elections Act 2009 for the phased implementation of a system of individual electoral registration (IR) in Great Britain[/size]17. Individual registration will involve the collection of identifying information (signature, date of birth and National Insurance number) from individuals registering to vote. While this will initially be collected on a voluntary basis (from 2010), depending on the outcome of the Electoral Commission’s review of the voluntary phase of IR, collection of identifiers may be made compulsory (from 2015 at the earliest). If collection is made compulsory, these details will have to be provided in order for a person to be included in the electoral register. /quote]

another step closer to big brother - roll on 2084 - I know it should be 1984 but they managed to miss that year

PGH7447

Getting There Slowly

---------