Witness In Trial.what Costs Can I Claim

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4126 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I am a witness in an upcoming trial.I have heard from a colleague at work that he was a witness last year but was only awarded £45.00 per day costs.I currently earn £9.36 p.h. doing a 9.37 hour shift 5 days a week.I can't afford to lose over £200 by only being allowed to claim £45.00 perday.Are there any helpers who can tell me what I claim with regards to loss of earnings, travelling, dinner, parking etc, and give me links to the rellevant laws please? Many thanks in advance.

I presume you are an ordinary witness-

Day subsistence (Ordinary Witnesses only)

 Attendance not exceeding 5 hours

£2.25

Attendance exceeding 5 hours but not exceeding 10 hours

£4.50

 Attendance exceeding 10 hours

£9.75

Travel expenses

Public transport: Rail, bus, coach and tube fares at standard (second class) rates will be reimbursed in full.

Motor car: If you use your own motor car, you will be paid 25p for each mile. In addition, if you give a lift to another witness who is required to attend court or other person authorised to accompany you, a further 2p per mile will be paid for the first passenger and 1p per mile for each additional passenger. Exceptionally, if you can show that you had to use your own car instead of public transport (for example, WEF1B (09.08)

because there was no public transport, or there was a considerable saving of time and money, or because you are disabled or infirm), then a higher rate of 45p per mile may be paid. You will need to justify using your own motor car to be eligible for the higher rate.

Loss of earnings – employed persons (Ordinary Witnesses only) The maximum amount of earnings lost that may be repaid is:

 For an absence from work not exceeding 4 hours

£33.50

For an absence from work exceeding 4 hours

£67.00

Full details on this link

http://www.cps.gov.uk/legal/assets/uploads/files/Attachment%201.pdf

hope this helps

Many thanks to freethemice for the excellent information. Hopefully i will be longer than 4 hours in court.There are around 6 witnesses and the trial is scheduled for 5 days.