Continental Telecom

niggel85

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4032 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I would like to know if anyone else has had any problems with Continental Telecom.

My mother in law, who is 82 yo, changed telephone provider in August 09 to the above, but they did not collect any payments by DD, or did they send her any bills, but cut her off in October, thus leaving her isolated. We paid off what they said was outstanding, £124+, but the phone still was not reconnected.

Their customer service dept is only open from 8 am to 5pm, Mon to Fri, when most people are also at work, and they dont always answer if you manage to find some time off during these hours. I have sent 3 e mails, but got no reply.

I have recently found out that they did take £89+ by DD in Jan 10, but her phone remains disconnected.

I know I can now refer this to OFCOM and CIRAS, but I would like some feedback from the vast array of intelligence on the forum.

Hi niggel85

Get onto your mum's Bank and get that DD cancelled ASAP if you haven't already

I would instigate a complaint with Continental and see what they say for according to thier website they outsource some of thier services so there could be a lot more to this than first meets the eye but in any case they have charged your Mum for a service they have failed to give

Good luck

R

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC] I asked them to wait whilst I got my Bank card :violin:

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Information that may help if a CCA request is refused due to the lack of a signature . . http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?248863-Signature-demands-fight-back-possible-!&highlight=

• 2 weeks later...

Hi niggel85, Yes I've had very similar experiences- they managed to get my father who is a frail 87 yo to sign up with them around the same time as your mother-in-law. He didn't set up the direct debits so they barred outgoing calls. He uses the phone for emergency use as part of a "panic button" emergency service. I contacted the said company and explained the circumstances but they were completely unsympathetic and would only repeatedly insist they needed the account paying. We then attempted to get BT to take over the line. CT cancelled 3 attempts by BT to transfer it. I said I wanted to cancel the account and they said that would cost £250+. I am in the process of complaining/action against them. In the meantime I have had to set up a brand new line with BT so my father has his emergency service. I have reported them to OFCOM. Have you made any progress ?

the bank are responsible for giving you a full and immediate refund - even if the original error was made by the organisation collecting the payment.

I used to swork for a company called economy calls, similar company to what your dealing with, and customers used to get there direct debits back by using this method

Train hard...Fight easy

• 2 weeks later...

Own-initiative investigation into Continental Telecom LTD - adherence to its Code of Practice governing sales and marketing, its conduct relating to the transfer of customers between communications providers and compliance with the UTCCRs. | Ofcom

Own-initiative investigation into Continental Telecom LTD - adherence to its Code of Practice governing sales and marketing, its conduct relating to the transfer of customers between communications providers and compliance with the UTCCRs.

Complainant: Ofcom own-initiative investigation

Investigation against: Continental Telecom LTD ("Continental Telecom")

Case opened: 15 February 2010

Issue: Continental Telecom's compliance with General Condition 14.5 and 1.2 of the General Conditions of Entitlement, as well as compliance with the Unfair Terms in Consumer Contracts Regulations 1999.

Relevant instrument: General Conditions 14.5 ("GC14.5"), 1.2 ("GC 1.2") of the General Conditions of Entitlement, and the Unfair Terms in Consumer Contracts Regulations 1999 ("UTCCRs").

Ofcom has opened an own-initiative investigation into Continental Telecom, following an increase in the number of complaints received by Ofcom's Advisory Team, and a review of the substance of these complaints.

GC 14.5 requires that communications providers establish, and comply with, a Code of Practice for sales and marketing ("Code of Practice"). The investigation will examine whether there are reasonable grounds for believing that Continental Telecom has failed to comply with the requirements of its Code of Practice, and whether there are reasonable grounds to believe that Continental Telecom has failed to comply with GC 1.2 with regard to its use of information obtained during the customer transfer process.

The investigation will also examine whether the contractual terms contained within Continental Telecom's standard Terms and Conditions comply with the UTCCRs.

If you are a consumer and wish to discuss this case please contact Ofcom's Advisory Team on 020 7981 3040 or 0300 123 3333.

Case Leader: Rapinder Newton (email: [email protected])

Case Reference: CW/01043/01/10

I know I can now refer this to OFCOM and CIRAS, but I would like some feedback from the vast array of intelligence on the forum.

You must realise that OFCOM do not look at complaints on an individual basis, notwithstanding they are currently investigating the company.

I assume you mean CISAS? Continental Telecom is no longer a member of CISAS and has just applied to become members of OTELO. So, their membership of any ADR (alternative Dispute Resolution) scheme is currently in 'limbo'.

I am not sure why they are no longer members of CISAS; it may be they just left CISAS membership. Companies are free to choose which ADR scheme they are members of.

Sometimes, companies do get thrown out of membership of one of the two ADR providers (CISAS or OTELO); if that happens, there is a fair chance they will not be accepted as members of the other ADR provder.

• 10 months later...

allow those customers who have suffered due to Continental Telecom’s contraventions and who are no longer customers of (i.e. no longer connected to or receiving services from) Continental Telecom to claim refunds of any ETCs or late payment fees (including any additional or penalty charges made in relation to those charges), incurred from 1 July 2009.

telecomsadvice.org.uk