• Tweets

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
        • Thanks
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 160 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

RadioDan Vs The HSBC **WON**

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6365 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Well I tallied up all my bills for the last 6 years and not including a charge of £55 this month, I have lost a total of £2410. I'm pretty bummed out about that sort of money being lost and me just seeing it as "the way things are", but I'm also pretty confident going into this, and hoping that I will get MY money back from this (it still seems strange looking at it as mine again, even after 2 days).

I'm afraid I'm a worrier at heart so I am likely to be on here a lot getting all agitated about if I'm ever going to hear from the bank, so apologies if I annoy anyone in advance ;) .

Well I've double read the FAQ's and was wondering with my bank charges I think the letter implies that I have to put them all down on the letter instead of just the total? Is this the case and if so should I be worried about not being taken seriously for sending them some crazy 3 page letter?

Anyway I am waiting until I am at work on Monday to print out my prelim letter which I will send on to them (no printer at home, which I guess I could buy once this is all said and done :p ) and will chuck a copy in here (its a monster so I apologise in advance) and then wait my 2 weeks before going from there.

I wish you all the best of luck in getting your cash back from the HSBC, and I definately wish myself all the luck as well ;) .

Dan

Currently taking action against the HSBC for £2465

• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hello and welcome to the forum - don't worry about needing advice, you've read the FAQ's and you have a wealth of experience and knowledge on this site.

All you need is perservirance, confidence, and patience! We have all started out like you all worried, but we have all had settlements. I've just received a cheque fro £600.27 from HSBC for my current account and £45 for my credit card. Just going for £862 with Lloyds, £180 with Egg and also around £400 with the co-operative bank. Just make sure you read around this forum and read as many threads as possible, that way you get to know the banks' tactics and that helps you to prepare for their replies etc.

You're about 6 weeks away from your cash now mate, if my experienve is anything to go by!!

Good luck and keep us informed!! :)

Disclaimer: Anything I write in these forums is my personal opinion and offered without prejudice. If in doubt, please seek independent legal advice.

*If what I have told you in this post has helped, please press the star at the bottom left and tell me!!*

My charges claims:

un1boy vs egg *SETTLED* | Un1boy vs LTSB-SETTLED | un1boy vs Black Horse-SETTLED | Un1boy v Smile *WON* | un1boy v HSBC - SETTLED! | Un1boy's HSBC CC - SETTLED! | Un1boy vs Co-Op *SETTLED* |un1boy vs Co-Op CC *SETTLED*

Default removals:

un1boy v Equifax - Default removal

un1boy vs Experian - Default removal

Hi RadioDan

Look at the guide (link Below) in there, you will find a link to a spreadsheet that we have all used as a Schedule Of Charges.

you may find other things in there usefull

HTH (Hope This Helps) RDM2006

THE FORCE (OF CAG) IS WITH YOU

;)

We've Helped You To Claim - Now Help Us Remain

A live Site - Make a Donation

All advice and opinions given by people on this site are personal, and are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, please seek qualified professional legal Help.

However, if you have found any advice you have been given helpful.

Why not show your gratitude And

Click the * on the post you found helpful.

Well I told my mum and her fiancé about this site last night and will be passing it around to all the guys at work so hopefully I can lead the way with all of them in trying to get our money back.

I shall take no complaints as just that and will get this printed out and go to the post office tomorrow.

Is there anything specific I have to do to get recorded delivery?

I was reading through earlier for a claim for someone and it had a .php page that worked out interest that was apparently a lot easier (I was on someone elses PC so didn't want to muck about too long). I was just wondering if anyone had a copy of it, or knew the link. I only ask as I want to get all my figures sorted now as I have a week holiday coming up on Friday and I figure that I will be all over the place after that (no internet while there), as I figure this will likely involve a MCOL, as it seems to be going that far with a lot of people.

dan rdm has a link in his signature for the spreadsheet use that one would recommend sending the spreadsheet with prelim as for recordedde just tell them at post office that you want it to go recorded and you wont be looking at filing for mcol for a while as you will need to send lba letter after this one so about 28 days before you need to file good luck

• Confused 1

WHEN THE WORLD GETS IN MY FACE I SAY HAVE A NICE DAY :lol:

MY SUCCESSESS

HSBC £5,735.35 :D

MUM IN LAW £2112.00 WIN FROM HALIFAX :grin:

MUM £3580.00 WIN FROM NatWest :grin:

AUNTIE 2 NATWEST WINS £1865.00 AND £2541.00

EQUITA BAILIFFS £293.00 REFUND :grin:

MBNA £871.16 WON WITH CI AT 24.49%

WELCOME FINANCE CHARGES £600 APPROX didnt even need letter lol

CAP ONE WON WITH CI AT 29.9% £994.26

CLAIMS ON THE GO AT MO

mbna ppi

NatWest cc at mcol (ppi next)

welcome ppi

first response charges

IF I HAVE HELPED IN ANY WAY HIT THE SCALES IN BOTTOM LEFT CORNER THANK YOU ;)

Well I just sent the letter recorded delivery and I am officially bricking it.

I am buddying up with the guy I work with so that should be cool, and though most everyone else at work believes this cannot be done once I have my cash I will rub it in all their faces.

people at my work tought the same until i showed them the letter from hsbc offering £1990 as i said to them £50 is a good will gesture not £1990

• Confused 1

WHEN THE WORLD GETS IN MY FACE I SAY HAVE A NICE DAY :lol:

MY SUCCESSESS

HSBC £5,735.35 :D

MUM IN LAW £2112.00 WIN FROM HALIFAX :grin:

MUM £3580.00 WIN FROM NatWest :grin:

AUNTIE 2 NATWEST WINS £1865.00 AND £2541.00

EQUITA BAILIFFS £293.00 REFUND :grin:

MBNA £871.16 WON WITH CI AT 24.49%

WELCOME FINANCE CHARGES £600 APPROX didnt even need letter lol

CAP ONE WON WITH CI AT 29.9% £994.26

CLAIMS ON THE GO AT MO

mbna ppi

NatWest cc at mcol (ppi next)

welcome ppi

first response charges

IF I HAVE HELPED IN ANY WAY HIT THE SCALES IN BOTTOM LEFT CORNER THANK YOU ;)

hehehe pretty awesome.

I was nervous as hell earlier and am still concerned about things like having my over draft removed, but things are looking up.

Good luck with the getting the rest and showing everyone at work. :lol:

Edit: In my haste and worry today I forgot to mention, the bank took away my switch card a while ago due to charges etc. Is there anyway I could ask for this back in with the claim or is it now too late? :confused:

• 2 weeks later...

Well I am back from my 1 week holiday in Scotland (and jolly nice it was too) and I have received 2 letters from the bank. I will do 2 seperate posts for clarities sake and it goes a little something like:

24th August 2006

Dear Mr Puckett

Your reference:

Thank you for your letter dated 21st August 2006 concerning recent circumstances on your account.

I am looking into the matter you have raised and will contact you with a full response as soon as I have completed my investigations.

In the meantime, I enclose a copy of our leaflet which explains how these matters are dealt with. If you do need to contact us please quote reference number

Your Sincerely

(squiggly signature)

David L Johnson

Customer Services Oficer

And a leaflet of gubbins qwhich I will be honest and say I have not read.

And the second letter which I believe to be pretty standard (please tell me if not) goes:

22nd August 2006

Ref (completely different to the last one)

Dear Mr Puckett

(sort code and account number)

I write in response to your recent query regarding charges due to be applied to your account.

Under the bank's charges tariff, the provision of cheque books and cards, the payment of cheques and direct debits, together with the collection of salaries and other deposits, all continue to be provided free of charge. A regular statement is also provided free, in order you may reconcile the figures with your own budget.

If you do not pay sufficient funds to meet cheques, standing orders or direct debits, the bank has to decide whether (sic?) to return items unpaid , or to pay the balance over the agreed limit. Similarly the bank is aware that on occasions customers may need to access funds in anticipation of salary or another credit. For this reason the bank will allow limited toleranceat cash machines and retail outlets in order to void embarassment which rejection can cause. (bless em)

On each occasion that the bank pays the balance causing the account to go overdrawn or exceed an agreed overdraft limit, a fee of £25 will be applied subect to a maximum of five fees per month, i.e. £125

Our records confirm that during the period 18th July 2006 to 17th August 2006, it was necessary to reveiew your account on five occasions. You have an overdraft facility of £400 and your overdrawn balance reached £455.31 on 9th August 2006.

Although the total charges should total £125 in this instance, as your account only exceeded the agreed overdraft limit by £55.31, the total charges were capped at £55.

I trust this clarifies the matter for you however, should you have any further queries please do not hesitate to contact this office on the telephone number below.

Yours sincerely

(squiggle)

Mr M Bowden

Customer Services manager.

Worth noting that it went to 2 pages and there is no contact details on the second page :O

So is this the new bog standard letter or should I be buying new pants?

they look like standard letters, i would ignore them and just stick to your timetable.

you will be fine

Andy

Cool, cheers mate!

I am sending my LBA a day late as I have no access to a printer at home, but other than that I shall be going for MCOL if I get no further response.

Well, I had not added on the interest before thinking it would not be a huge amount, and also only having open office and not being able to make the interest calculator work I just let it be.

Well my good friend who I introduced to this place "mikefellows" just did the adding up for me from work and it actually comes to *drum roll*

£528.66

So now my big question is can I add this in to the LBA and just let the 14 days roll or do I start the 14 days over again?

EDIT: to clarify I do not mean the 8% interest that you add on for MCOL, I mean normal interest on all charges.

personally i would add it.

As a matter of fact...thats exactly what I did! I had more charges between my prelim and lba so added them, plus i added more charges from other statements I forgot to include.

Ive read a few threads on here where people add further charges at this point in the process so you should be fine doing so.

Good luck!

xx

Kaz :)

HSBC

claiming £2749 (£3400 with court cost & 8%)

mcol acknowledge 25/09/06

DG requested breakdown 5/10/06

Breakdown sent to DG 12/10/06

Yes Car Credit/Direct Auto Finance

CCA request sent 18/10/06

Whilst my aim is to be helpful, its reasonable to assume I am not a professional and am (dare I say) not always right. Seek professional help if in doubt

:-D

:lol: If i have intentionally or accidently said something of relevance or use to you, please click the scales:lol:

"A bank is a place where they lend you an umbrella in fair weather and ask for it back when it begins to rain". - Robert Frost

hehe...know what u mean. I cant move in my bedroom for duplicate statements and quite frankly, I'd be quite happy to never see another statement again lol.

I realised quite quickly what my life had been reduced to when i was sat at my PC for the last 3 friday nights as well as a saturday night here and there just going thru all these records, threads and research.

Im sure i vaguely remember a time when i spent my weekends out drinking and doing fun stuff. mind u, i wasnt contending with millions of charges then and could afford to go out lol.

so what u gonna do with all that lovely money when u get it back?

obviously the first thing i will do is sing and skip to the nearest pub in order to get bladdered (in the most lady-like fashion possible, of course!) and RECLAIM MY WEEKENDS! yay! :D

HSBC

Whilst my aim is to be helpful, its reasonable to assume I am not a professional and am (dare I say) not always right. Seek professional help if in doubt

:lol: If i have intentionally or accidently said something of relevance or use to you, please click the scales:lol:

"A bank is a place where they lend you an umbrella in fair weather and ask for it back when it begins to rain". - Robert Frost

In the most lady like manner I'm sure ;)

I shall be going out on the booze with one of my friends who I introduced to this place, and then we shall be going out again when he gets his cash.

I looked for the post today and low and behold a big thick envelope containing my small claims procedure book from here (YAY!) and a marginally thinner envelope from the bank. I opened the bank one to find some gubbins including "listening to your comments" (yeah right), price list and interest rates and personal banking terms and conditions. I also had 2 letters:

Reference: yet another totally different reference code

Dear Mr Puckett

(account details)

Thank you for your recent letter concerning charges applied to your account. I am sorry you have had cause to complain.

The Office of Fair Trade Report published onthe 5th April 2006, was issued with regard to Credit Cards. As the report only relates to charges made payable under Credit Card, we do not agree with your contention that the charges that have been imposed by the Bank are unlawful.

The contract between the Bank and its customer is governed by HSBC's standard Terms & Conditions. In respect of unauthorised over drafts, the relevant clauses are 7.11 to 7.18. In these circumstances, there is a process that involves the Bank considering whether or not to pay the item. A fee is payable for this and the fees are set out in the published price list.

We enclose a copy of the relevant terms and conditions and a copy of the latest price list for your information.

I can confirm that the charges have been correctly calculated and it is not the bank's usual policy to refund charges applied in accordance with our published tariff. This being the case, no refund is due.

Thank you once again for taking the time to bring your concerns to the Bank's attention. I am only sorry it was necessary for you to do so. I hope that matters have now been resolved to your satisfaction. However should this not be the case, the attached guidance sheet explains the next steps available to you.

Yours sincerely

(signature that looks to infact be signed R Jenkins)

David L Johnson

And the second

Full response

We hope that you will be entirely happy with the attached response and as a consequence your complaint can now be considered resolved.

Should you wish to discuss your concerns further, please feel free to write to us at the address shown at the foot of our letter. Alternatively if you wish to escalate your complaint to the next stage in our internal complaint handling procedures, you can write to our customer relations department, enclosing a copy of this letter

The full address is:

HSBC Bank plc

Service Quality Team

Arlington Business Centre

Millshaw Park Lane

Leeds

LS11 0PP

If we do not hear from you within the next eight weeks, we will consider matters resolved. Complainst we cannot resolve can be referred ultimately to the Financial Ombudsman Service, further details of which can be found in out "Listening to your Comments" leaflet (enclosed).

Ok am I missing something as I thought that you could apply for any bank charges to be reversed, not just credit card charges. Can someone let me know on this as I was going to send my LBA tomorrow, but this leaves me a bit cautious just in case.

you are being fobbed off like everyone else. just keep going and u'll get ur money back. they are bluffing and hoping this will intimifate u out of getting ur own money back.

only £80 of my claim is against my credit card and the other £3000 odd is in bank charges.

As for:

"I can confirm that the charges have been correctly calculated and it is not the bank's usual policy to refund charges applied in accordance with our published tariff. This being the case, no refund is due."

let me see....1, 2, 3, 10, 30, 1000 1001....excuse me while I count the amount of customers reported in this forum alone that do indeed get their money back!

stick to ur timetable and ignore their waffle. they dont have a leg to stand on whereas u do (antil u hit that pub with ur refund anyways!)

good luck.

x

HSBC