Suspended - without pay

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5202 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi, i was wondering if anyone could help me with where i stand!

I work for Sky in a huge call centre, Today at lunch time whilst on staff pc I found an Ipod, myself and another employee where the only two in there, so i picked it up and my lunch was jsut ending so took it back to my desk.

When i sat down at my desk i knew i had to login within a certain time frame if not i would be black marked and asked why, so i logged in and immediately my first call started flashing, so i took it. Half way through the call i noticed the ipod on my desk and automatically picked it up and put it in my desk. I know now that this seems a mad thing to do but we have it drilled into us were not allowed anything on our desks including phones, drinks, note pads, pens etc! So i put it in my desk with the full intention that on my next break between calls, or t the end of my shift which ever came first i would hand it in! (I know your all probably thinking i wasnt going to give it in, but i was i am a very honest person, i once found money in a nightclub and handed it in) Not many people i know would do that!

Anyway, a few mins into my frist call my manager came over and took myself and the other person i was in lunch with into another room.

They asked why we had taken an ipod which did not belong to us!

We both explained and the other person was allowed back to his desk whilst i sat in a room on my own.

My manager returned with a lady from HR where i was further question and was called a thief by the HR lady and made to feel very guilt for something i did not do intentionally. They then long me i was suspended without pay until wednesday when i had to return at 1pm for a disciplinary.

Where do i stand? What shall i shall at the disciplinary? Can they call me a thief first without hearing my side of the story and secondly the ipod never left the building? Any advise you can give would be greatly appreiciated.

Thansk

Do you have a copy of the companies disciplinary & grievance procedures? It's usually in the staff handbook, if there is one.

It's unusual for a suspension to be unpaid. It shouldn't be punitive, you've not been found guilty of anything yet. Did they give you a letter?

Very unprofessional of the HR woman to call you a thief as well.

Her calling you a thief was not on at all, and I would consider taking that up once this matter has been sorted, did actually call you a thief or make you feel like one?

The suspension could simply be for them to have time to investigate the incident properly.

If one of my employee's was faced with something like this, then I would probably act in the same manner, and suspend them, whilst I looked into what happened and have the meeting with them to discuss and sort out. If the intention had been for them to steal something and they had been caught in the act, but not suspended and carried on working until the meeting it could give them the chance to do so again and not be caught. But I would make it very clear to them, at the time and after the meeting, if everything was ok, the reason why they had to be suspended.