Holiday flight cancelled- what are my rights?

jamiemac10

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4191 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I've booked my first ever skiing holiday to Bulgaria in March (a package holiday booked on the internet). This weekend I had a letter saying that our flights from Manchester had been cancelled due to a lack of support. The letter offered a full refund, alternative flights or transferring to an alternative holiday (plus or minus the difference in cost).

The alternative flight is from Heathrow at 8.25 in the morning on a Sunday. This is a 5 hour drive from where we live. Can we claim extra expenses travelling to a new departure airport? Any help would be gratefully received.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Old_andrew2018

Sorry I cant see that you have a claim as a reasonable amount of notice was given, consider booking with another company.

Andy

I've booked my first ever skiing holiday to Bulgaria in March (a package holiday booked on the internet). This weekend I had a letter saying that our flights from Manchester had been cancelled due to a lack of support. The letter offered a full refund, alternative flights or transferring to an alternative holiday (plus or minus the difference in cost).

The alternative flight is from Heathrow at 8.25 in the morning on a Sunday. This is a 5 hour drive from where we live. Can we claim extra expenses travelling to a new departure airport? Any help would be gratefully received.

I beg to differ from the advice given by the poster above, Article 8 of EC 261/2004 provides for a refund or re-routing under comparable transport conditions so you could request that they cover the cost of your travel from Manchester to Heathrow.

The applicable article is as follows:

Article 8

Right to reimbursement or re-routing

1. Where reference is made to this Article, passengers shall be offered the choice between:

(a) - reimbursement within seven days, by the means provided for in Article 7(3), of the full cost of the ticket at the price at which it was bought, for the part or parts of the journey not made, and for the part or parts already made if the flight is no longer serving any purpose in relation to the passenger's original travel plan, together with, when relevant,

- a return flight to the first point of departure, at the earliest opportunity;

(b) re-routing, under comparable transport conditions, to their final destination at the earliest opportunity; or

© re-routing, under comparable transport conditions, to their final destination at a later date at the passenger's convenience, subject to availability of seats.

2. Paragraph 1(a) shall also apply to passengers whose flights form part of a package, except for the right to reimbursement where such right arises under Directive 90/314/EEC.

3. When, in the case where a town, city or region is served by several airports, an operating air carrier offers a passenger a flight to an airport alternative to that for which the booking was made, the operating air carrier shall bear the cost of transferring the passenger from that alternative airport either to that for which the booking was made, or to another close-by destination agreed with the passenger.

Let us know how you get on.

Cityboy62