Bought a used car and discovered its clocked...

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4169 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi, ive just bought a high value car within the past few days from an independant car dealer and have since discovered its been clocked.

Do i have any rights to go back to garage to return the car and refuse it on this basis?

Assuming you want to pursue it, I would go back to the dealer and explain the problem and that you will be taking this further with Trading Standards.

Have you got any previous service history, MOT's or anything to back up your suspicion if not you just need to start going back until you find the discrepancy.

If you can show the garage the discrepancy you may find that they will sort something out or come to an arrangement with you to save the hassle of the TS sniffing around or any bad publicity.

If I have been helpful please tickle my scales or better still contribute to CAG.

I have proof its been clocked from Audi UK, i enquired previously about the receipts for servicing but they were unable to provide information other than it had been serviced with them.

I've since had an email from them giving mileage, dates and locations of servicing and these number conflict with the current readings and also some previous MOT's.

They advertised and sold the car as having a genuine mileage.

If it was clocked before they came to have it, but they sold it to me in this manor, am i still going to have some come back with them?

Sods law i get additional info after i purchase the car

Yes, if they sell the car as having "Genuine Mileage" they need to have either previously checked or have proof, ie previous history or MOT's, to back up their statement. Assuming it is a genuine mileage is no defence.

If they say "Genuine Mileage" and used it as a selling point as garage's do, then thats a misleading statement and they should have checked it out like you did, but they didn't and you were mislead.

Go back to the garage with your facts and tell us what they say.

Edited by boswell
typo,,again

If I have been helpful please tickle my scales or better still contribute to CAG.

Thank you for your replies.

I've contacted Audi UK again to ensure their information is correct and not mis-typed or anything, once ive had a reply from them i'll persue further, i want to make sure im 100% correct before making claims.

Quite right.

What do you want out of this a Full Refund or are you open to a compromise.

Car is a 2000 Audi, mileage is showing about the same as an Audi recorded service 2.5yrs ago - 77k - as to what it should be showing... shall i get a crystal ball out?

Price was 15k+ and due to this im wanting to go back for a refund if its proven to have been tampered with, it will seriously put a spanner in the works for a sale in the future.

yes it will and you need to tell the garage that as well.

When you have verified the facts again go to the gatage and tell them it will seriously affect a future sale of the car.

As regards tampering there could be a genuine reason why the clock has been changed, if so more the reason to bring this to a new purchasers attention.

I'm understandably (i think) a little miffed by discovering this now having checked what i thought i could, but how do you suppose i make a statement on likely accurate mileage? I guess you could put typical "average" mileage on to it and get to roughly 100k-110k i guess. But that wasnt intended to be rude.

Might not be massive but the vehicle isnt an average family car etc

Tony i think JS was trying to help and to be fair to him he was only asking questions that maybe i should have asked earlier.

Car is a 2000 Audi, mileage is showing about the same as an Audi recorded service 2.5yrs ago - 77k - as to what it should be showing... shall i get a crystal ball out?

Price was 15k+ and due to this im wanting to go back for a refund if its proven to have been tampered with, it will seriously put a spanner in the works for a sale in the future.

Hold on here.........What if it's been laid up for 2 1/2 years????

Any other evidence??

Heliosuk, i think the OP has answered that question in #3 and he has proof from Audi that the car has been clocked.