TDN non compliance / draft letter please help !

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5152 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi, below is the letter I am writing to my landlord, any help appreciated.

I don't have a recipt for the deposit payment but it dose state in the AST signed by the LL and myself that it was payable upon signing.

Also, how much should I go for, how dose the 3x deposit rule apply ?

ta.

Monday, 18 January 2010

Dear 'dodgy LL'

I am writing to formally request the return of my deposit from the assured shorthold tenancy agreement dated 31/03/2008 for 'address'.

This tenancy ended 01/04/2009.

As required in the terms of the tenancy agreement you were paid £1900.00 as a Security deposit, upon signing of the agreement.

The Shorthold Tenancy Agreement signed by you states that the security deposit would be placed in an approved deposit scheme, this is required by the Housing Act 2004.

The housing act also requires that I be notified within 14 days of the start of the tenancy, the details of the scheme with which the deposit was registered. I confirm that I received no such information from either yourself of a 3rd Party.

To date only part payment of £400 has been received and I have had no further communication from you.

I now formally request the balance of £1500.00 be returned within 14 days.

Yours Sincerely

Hi there,

I'm assuming you moved out, nothing broken or needing cleaning, and this is your letter before action LBA. Try this bit added to it replcing your last line.

'I now formally request the outstanding balance of deposit held being £1500.00 to be returned within 14 days of this letter. Failure to do so will leave me no option other than to bring county court action to recover this sum.'

I think your letter plus a bit added at the end like I have suggested would be the start. My understanding is that the court award the 3x amount, not that you claim it. I believe bedlington83 on this site could lead lead you in the right direction here to be more precise.

Am I right that you have been trying to get this money back for 8 months? By telephoning, email and letter? Any replies?

Have aread around as there is plenty of information on this site that will help steer you in the right direction.

Good luck.

Edited by Chiro
Word missed out

• 4 weeks later...
No, send it regular post.

But get proof of sending (post office will supply on request).

7 years in retail customer service

Expertise in letting and rental law for 6 years

By trade - I'm an IT engineer working in the housing sector.

Please note that any posts made by myself are for information only and should not and must not be taken as correct or factual. If in doubt, consult with a solicitor or other person of equal legal standing.

Please click the star if I have helped!!