• Tweets

• a 'witness' to it not arriving till the 15th is sadly immaterial too. regardless to the above anyway, the PCN remains valid. 
    • Hmm yes I see your point about proof of postage but nonetheless... "A Notice to Keeper can be served by ordinary post and the Protection of Freedoms Act requires that the Notice, to be valid,  must be delivered either (Where a notice to driver (parking ticket) has been served) Not earlier than 28 days after, nor more than 56 days after, the service of that notice to driver; or (Where no notice to driver has been served (e.g ANPR is used)) Not later than 14 days after the vehicle was parked A notice sent by post is to be presumed, unless the contrary is proved, to have been delivered on the second working day after the day on which it is posted; and for this purpose “working day” means any day other than a Saturday, Sunday or a public holiday in England and Wales." My question there is really what might constitute proof? Since you say the issue of delivery is a common one I suppose that no satisfactory answer has been established or you would probably have told me.
    • I would stand your ground and go for the interest. Even if the interest is not awarded you will get the judgement and the worst that might happen is that you won't get your claim fee.  However, it is almost inevitable that you will get the interest.  It is correct that it is at the discretion of the judge but the discretion is almost always exercised in favour of the claimant in these cases.  I think you should stand your ground and don't give even the slightest penny away Another judgement against them on this issue would be very bad for them and they would be really stupid to risk it but if they did, it would cost them far more than the interest they are trying to save which they will most likely have to pay anyway
    • Yep, true to form, they are happy to just save a couple of quid... They invariably lose in court, so to them, that's a win. 😅
    • Your concern regarding the 14 days delivery is a common one. Not been on the forum that long, but I don't think the following thought has ever been challenged. My view is that they should have proof of when it was posted, not when they "issued", or printed it. Of course, they would never show any proof of postage, unless it went to court. Private parking companies are simply after money, and will just keep sending ever more threatening letters to intimidate you into paying up. It's not been mentioned yet, but DO NOT APPEAL! You could inadvertently give up useful legal protection and they will refuse any appeal, because they're just after the cash...  
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

Agressive AM Ex

stevehatesbankers
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4764 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

How long were Newman chasing you?

My debt is with them at the moment, and I'm at the F&F stage after 3months.

My experience is, you must be willing to call their bluff at every opportunity.

I suppose you might have got a F&F away with newman, given time, but they sold your debt on. So just do the same with your current DCA.

Am Ex doesnt appear to get the exposure of the bigger boys on here but I would appreciate any guidance regarding my fight with these. I am considering sending a letter acknowledging receipt of their letter but stating the sending of the oldest T&C's dont satisfy The CCA 1974 as the T&C's should be applicable to my agreement. Could someone please confirm whether or not I am correct in relation to this statement.

Also, I had RMA on the phone this morning. The girl on the phone said she was from RMA then she said she was from Am Ex. I queried this and asked her to confirm who she represented. After a mumble, she eventually confirmed that it was RMA. These people are fraudulent and are the lowest of the low

IMO after Carey vs HSBC whats required for an old pre 2007 agreement s78 request is a copy of the original signed agreement plus all variations (t&c's) since inception.

RMA/NCO are annoying but they tend to give up after no contact, rejection letters etc... just keep stating to them that you are in dispute with Amex, eventually they will pass it back/on. Expect to get a phony postcard from a Mr Green or Mr Brown saying they'll come round in 7 days time.

S.

• 1 month later...

Just an update on this one. RMA have been given the red card and its back to Newmans. The usual threats of possible legal action if I dont pay in full. They state the following:

"We have provided you with a copy of the application form which you have signed, and from that you will see it is clear that by signing the form you were entering into a credit agreement. The signature box contains the phrase "This is a Credit Agreement regulated by the Consumer Credit Act 1974. Sign it only if you want to be legally bound by its terms".

When entering the credit card agreement with you, Amex were required to send you three copies of the agreement. The first copy (set out as an application form) was sent out in duplicate. One copy would have been signed by you and returned to Amex. The second copy (unexecuted, in that it would not be signed by Amex) would have been yours to keep. The third copy sent to you would be an executed copy of the Agreement, as by that stage it would have been signed by you and by Amex. We do not send out a version that shows both of the signatures, but nevertheless send an executed copy, which is the 'card carrier' copy sent with your American Express credit card. This executed copy excludes the signatures, but nonetheless complies with the "true copies" requirement of the Consumer Credit (Enforcement, Default and Termination Notices) Regulations 1983. These regulations allow Amex to omit any signature and/or signature box, so although the card carrier is the executed copy, it does not have to include respective signatures. On the basis that you have received and have been using this credit card, we can only assume that you have been provided with the card carrier and therefore the executed copy of the Agreement.

Your thoughts and advices would be appreciated. Are they clutching at straws?

Certainly dont recall receiving it. They have only sent me a copy of the signed 60 second application form and the 2004 T&Cs (their oldest T&Cs) whereas the agreement was taken out in 2003.

On a seperate issue, can we reclaim the £12 charges that they have applied to the account for late or non-payment?

In my opinion if they thought they had a strong case against you I think that they would probably have taken you to court by now.

I'd be sending off £10 for a full SAR.

Once I had all my statements I'd be reclaiming all charges +CI at the current rate that they charge you for cash + 8% using this calculator.

Compound interest calculator!!!

TBQH I would just kick Newman back into touch with a simple "acknowlege no debt, in dispute, don't deal with third parties - refer you to your client, sod off" letter.

Don't encourage the parasites and keep the emphasis on Amex.

Letter to Amex telling 'em the above.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Just an update on this one. My account has now been referred to Brachers LLP. Received a letter from these stating that the account has been referred for collection and for the whole balance to be paid or to make contact to discuss payment. It just seems to be going round in circles. Anyone of Brachers and what are they like

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Steve, I'm sorry your question hasnt received any responses, this is a self help forum and as such its up to the posters to search around and find the facts.

If I was you I'd do a search through the amex threads about brachers.

S.

• 4 months later...

Heres an update from Brachers. A letter arrived this morning (always on a friday or saturday to try to spoil your weekend) referring to the Judgement given by judge Waksman re Carey v HSBC. They enclose (in their words) a reconstituted copy of the credit agreement comprising of:-

1/ a scanned copy of the front page of the actual credit agreement (its the front page of application form that has been previously scanned)

2/ a reconstituted version of the terms and conditions referred to in the last page of the agreement. These terms and conditions would have been formatted to appear on the reverse of the front page page of the credit agreement and thus would have been encompassed within the four corners of the document

3/ Copy terms and conditions as valid at termination of the credit agreement

They then go on to say "We have reviewed the comments which you have made, and believe that they are without foundation, and remain confident that our client will succeed with legal action against you, should this prove necessary. The agreement is clearly referred to within the application page and the credit agreement that there was text printed overleaf, which our client confirms to be the terms and conditions.

Furthermore, there is the wording contained within the application page of the credit agreement that the terms and conditions formed part of the agreement"

They again refer to Carey/Waksman stating the Judge stated the wording is sufficient to satisfy the content requirements and to prove the information of the credit agreement as defined by the act.

I highlighted to them that the credit agreement does not contain the prescribed terms as defined by the act. Their reply "Our client believes that all the prescribed terms were included within the credit agreement which was for a running account. On this basis, the agreement need not state the amount of credit, but instead can confirm the manner in which credit will be determined or that there is no credit limit"

Finally, they finish stating "We hereby put you on notice that unless payment of the full outstanding balance is received within 10 days from the date of this letter, we are instructed to commence litigation"

SUMMARY: I am convinced they only have the front page of the application form but would appreciate any comments and advice. They have attached a poor copy of a 2002 agreement and written on 'Reconstituted as at Application'

They are correct that for a running credit account they only have to state the way in which the credit limit will be worked out and not the actual amount.

As for reconstructions, in Carey DJ Waksman stated that reconstructions can be used to satisfy s78 requests but he declined to decide either way on their use in enforcement actions.

S.