• Tweets

• Our picks

• Hermes lost parcel.. Read more at https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/422615-hermes-lost-parcel/
      • 49 replies
    • Oven repair. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/427690-oven-repair/&do=findComment&comment=5073391
      • 49 replies
    • I came across this discussion recently and just wanted to give my experience of A Shade Greener that may help others regarding their boiler finance agreement.

We had a 10yr  finance contract for a boiler fitted July 2015.

After a summer of discontent with ASG I discovered that if you have paid HALF the agreement or more you can legally return the boiler to them at no cost to yourself. I've just returned mine the feeling is liberating.

It all started mid summer during lockdown when they refused to service our boiler because we didn't have a loft ladder or flooring installed despite the fact AS installed the boiler. and had previosuly serviced it without issue for 4yrs. After consulting with an independent installer I was informed that if this was the case then ASG had breached building regulations,  this was duly reported to Gas Safe to investigate and even then ASG refused to accept blame and repeatedly said it was my problem. Anyway Gas Safe found them in breach of building regs and a compromise was reached.

A month later and ASG attended to service our boiler but in the process left the boiler unusuable as it kept losing pressure not to mention they had damaged the filling loop in the process which they said was my responsibilty not theres and would charge me to repair, so generous of them! Soon after reporting the fault I got a letter stating it was time we arranged a powerflush on our heating system which they make you do after 5 years even though there's nothing in the contract that states this. Coincidence?

After a few heated exchanges with ASG (pardon the pun) I decided to pull the plug and cancel our agreement.

The boiler was removed and replaced by a reputable installer,  and the old boiler was returned to ASG thus ending our contract with them. What's mad is I saved in excess of £1000 in the long run and got a new boiler with a brand new 12yr warranty. 

You only have to look at TrustPilot to get an idea of what this company is like.

• Thanks
      • 3 replies
    • Dazza a few months ago I discovered a good friend of mine who had ten debts with cards and catalogues which he was slavishly paying off at detriment to his own family quality of life, and I mean hardship, not just absence of second holidays or flat screen TV's.

I wrote to all his creditors asking for supporting documents and not one could provide any material that would allow them to enforce the debt.

As a result he stopped paying and they have been unable to do anything, one even admitted it was unenforceable.

If circumstances have got to the point where you are finding it unmanageable you must ask yourself why you feel the need to pay.  I guarantee you that these companies have built bad debt into their business model and no one over there is losing any sleep over your debt to them!  They will see you as a victim and cash cow and they will be reluctant to discuss final offers, only ways to keep you paying with threats of court action or seizing your assets if you have any.

They are not your friends and you owe them no loyalty or moral duty, that must remain only for yourself and your family.

If it was me I would send them all a CCA request.   I would bet that not one will provide the correct response and you can quite legally stop paying them until such time as they do provide a response.   Even when they do you should check back here as they mostly send dodgy photo copies or generic rubbish that has no connection with your supposed debt.

The money you are paying them should, as far as you are able, be put to a savings account for yourself and as a means of paying of one of these fleecers should they ever manage to get to to the point of a successful court judgement.  After six years they will not be able to start court action and that money will then become yours.

They will of course pursue you for the funds and pass your file around various departments of their business and out to third parties.

Your response is that you should treat it as a hobby.  I have numerous files of correspondence each faithfully organised showing the various letters from different DCA;s , solicitors etc with a mix of threats, inducements and offers.   It is like my stamp collection and I show it to anyone who is interested!
        • Thanks

HSBC reply to my request of charges

Please note that this topic has not had any new posts for the last 3871 days.

If you are trying to post a different story then you should start your own new thread. Posting on this thread is likely to mean that you won't get the help and advice that you need.

If you are trying to post information which is relevant to the story in this thread then please flag it up to the site team and they will allow you to post.

Thank you

12 January 2010

REF *************

We are writing to further your complaint relating to bank charges.

As you will be aware, issues relating the the level, fairness or lawfulness of these charges have been subject of legal proceedings between us (with several other banks) and the Office of Fair Trading which started on the 27th July 2007.

These legal proceedings have now ended, with the Supreme Court confirming that the bank charges are not capable of amounting to penalties at common law and that the level of them cannot be assessed for fairness under the Unfair Terms in Consumer Contract Regulations.

In summary we believe that the disputed charges were properly charged and the outcome of the legal proceedings confirms our position. We are therefore not upholding your complaint and we will not be refunding your bank charges.

If you believe we have failed to address all the issues raised in your complaint, you may escalate your concerns by contacting us and setting out the details so that we can consider this further. All correspondents should be addressed to, The senior Manager, Service Quality team, HSBC bank plc, Arlington business centre, Leeds. LS11 0PP. Alternatively you can email us at servicequality@hsbc.com or call us on 08457404404.

We should point out however, that we do not believe there is any legal basis on which the amount of the charges can be challenged. If we do not hear from you within 8 weeks of the date of this letter we will consider your complaint closed.

I note that you requested that HSBC does not pursue any potential enforcement action as regards the debt presently due on your account by reason that this debt consists of bank charges which you are disputing. Following the decision by the Supreme Court on 25 Nov 2009 HSBC believes that the charges have been correctly applied and therefore is entitled to pursue recovery of the outstanding debt

your sincerely

Chris Mathews Service Manager

END

So how can I kick there ass? A lot of "WE BELIEVE" in there eh, who cares what you believe! Screw you HSBC!

Please advise

Luke

:D well done !

Follow the timetable I gave you luke ..

don't let them dictate the pace ..

:)

Edited by johnnymitch

Nemo me impune lacessit

Advice & opinions given by johnnymitch are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

If you think I've helped you please feel free to tickle my star :-D

Can they demmand I pay the overdraft back up front because I'm fighting for my charges ?

They might, but they can't get blood out of a stone.

Any advice I give is honest and in good faith.:)

If in doubt, you should seek the opinion of a Qualified Professional.

If you can, please donate to this site.

Help keep it up and active, helping people like you.

If you no longer require help, please do what you can to help others

RIP: Rooster-UK - MARTIN3030 - cerberusalert

Hi johny. I sent my letter before action off yesterday to hsbc. So in two weeks I need to start a claim in court, no idea how to do that to be honest. Also, I have been charged 884 by hsbc and a further 100 since I started on this forum, so can I add that to the claim even tho it's not in my first and second letter? Also can I add interest? Again I didn't ask for it back because I don't know what the interest is

Hi PPM,

First thing to do is to list the charges you want to reclaim using one of the following spreadsheets ... that will automatically work out the 8% Statutory Interest which only becomes relevant when you submit your claim to court .You can add any charges which have accrued since you sent your LBA ... and also add your court fee (if applicable) .

Bank Accounts :

England - Simple - Excel

England - Simple - Works

England - Simple - OpenOffice

England - Advanced - Excel

England - Advanced - Works

Or – for the brave – Interest on Interest ...... by bankfodder

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/general/201984-why-let-your-bank.html

Explanation of Advanced spreadsheet calculations(courtesy of pete castlebest

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/hsbc-bank/180009-about-sar-hsbc.html#post1996894[/font]

I would advise waiting for new Particulars of Claim to be announced on here before going the whole court route , but at least you can be ready to roll once these are available.....

There are two methods of going the court route .... you can lodge a claim on- line at:

Her Majesty's Courts Service - Home

or you can get a Form N1 from your local county court .... and run it from there .....

Personally I prefer (and I think the site advice on here is ) to use the N1 Route as there is much more room to fully explain your case than there is on -line (they restrict you to about 400 words I think . )

The choice is yours of course PPM ... just come back and ask if you need more help ..... it's no use me giving you the old N1 form-filling instructions until a new set of POCs is available .... :)

Edited by johnnymitch
Tidying up font markings....

Nemo me impune lacessit

Advice & opinions given by johnnymitch are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

btw ....... that spreadsheet updates itself daily , so you don't have to recalulate at any time...... :)

Nemo me impune lacessit

Open office will do just as well - and it's free ! Just google Open Office and take it from there ..... :)

Oops ! looks like I 'm too late ......you've got it ! :grin:

Nemo me impune lacessit

Hi Johnny,

Im looking at the forums and it seems a few people are using new particulars in there claims - Have I missed the boat? I'm not as cleverr as the people on this forum but I do need to get this money the bank owe me (1300)

Just curious as to where the new particulars will be posted?

Thanks a million

Luke

Hi luke , :)

Don't worry , there's no way you're too late .... you haven't missed the boat - we're all still waiting for new POCs .... when available they'll be posted on the site here , probably under the Templates Library section as usual ...... but hopefully there will be a 'sticky' telling you when they're there ..

You're still operating on your timetable not theirs ... by waiting for the right info to allow you to proceed .. :D

Nemo me impune lacessit

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Hiya both, I posted this earlier to Zorro and it should answer your questions :)

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/hsbc-bank/248024-court-extended-stay-until.html

Just buy yourselves as much time as possible for the time being while the legal minds sort out what we should and shouldnt say :)

pete

• 4 weeks later...

Hiya Luke :) I belive we are moving slowly forward, there is a case at the moment in the Scotish courts thats looking very promising, see here

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/oft-test-case-updates/248268-sheriff-puts-bank-scotland.html

I know things seem to be moving slowly, I wish I could move forward myself, but we have to be as sure of our ground as possible. If the banks loose all or a good proportion of the first claims to get back into court then I think we could see a return to the free for all we had before the test case was started and in fact I think the banks would then be forced to review their whole policy and correct the situation of their own accord.

Lets face it the only thing we dislike more and trust less than a politician is a banker :).

pete