Trust Deeds & moving Abroad

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5203 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hello. I'm a first time poster looking for a bit of advice. I am considering entering a trust deed in a month or two. My family & I have just received our permanent resident visa for Australia. Can any body tell me if it is possible to enter into a trust deed & move abroad while you are still paying it? Thanks in advance.

I could be completely wrong on this so check with someone else please. I heard that if you emigrate and don't your bills here they can't do anything about it. If you get someone to send the mail back with a notice "moved to another country" then the finance companies have insurance to cover this. I hardly think they'll be able to trace you in Oz and if you come back 6 years later your debts will all be statute barred but I don't know how you go about getting credit over there as I thought they checked your UK score to open a bank account etc. Good luck. Hope someone else can give more info.:wink:

I could be completely wrong on this so check with someone else please. I heard that if you emigrate and don't your bills here they can't do anything about it. If you get someone to send the mail back with a notice "moved to another country" then the finance companies have insurance to cover this. I hardly think they'll be able to trace you in Oz and if you come back 6 years later your debts will all be statute barred but I don't know how you go about getting credit over there as I thought they checked your UK score to open a bank account etc. Good luck. Hope someone else can give more info.:wink:

Thanks for the reply. I know your UK credit history is not linked in anyway to your OZ credit history & vice versa.

I've heard about consumer debt not being enforceable ouside of the country where the agreement was signed, but not 100% sure that it is true. Can anybody advise?

The thought of looking over our shoulder in OZ isn't exactly appealing, but not being in debt would be a huge sweetener!

i am afraid that is wrong - countries have reciprocal agreements where Uk debts can be chased and lodged in other countries.

you will not be able to enter a trust deed if you leaving the uk and if you did not tell your IP that you were leaving before the TD is set up as soon as you move the TD will fail.

this may be of use for you

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/debt-collection-industry/221573-debt-being-chased-australia.html

Ida x

Please contact a member of the site team if you are offered help off the forum for a a paid or no win no fee service.

Please consider making a small donation to help keep this site running

Click here to donate through PayPal (opens in a new window)

i am afraid that is wrong - countries have reciprocal agreements where Uk debts can be chased and lodged in other countries.

you will not be able to enter a trust deed if you leaving the uk and if you did not tell your IP that you were leaving before the TD is set up as soon as you move the TD will fail.

this may be of use for you

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/debt-collection-industry/221573-debt-being-chased-australia.html

Ida x

Thanks Ida.

My understanding of this reciprocal agreement( http://www.opsi.gov.uk/si/si1994/Uksi_19941901_en_1.htm")

is that it is for civil debt (i.e. non-payment of fines,taxes), outstanding court orders and outstanding ccj's. I can't see anything pertaining to consumer debt.

I haven't been able to read all the posts in the link you gave but it would seem that the gist of the thread is that If you have consumer debt (credit cards/loans etc), & move to Australia with no outstanding court action against you, then you cannot be made to pay that debt, but that there are companys in Oz who will illegally chase & harass you for that debt.

no I don't think so as you basically give all rights to your IP and that if you do not keep up your TD then they will apply for your BK which cannot be done if you are not resident here

Please contact a member of the site team if you are offered help off the forum for a a paid or no win no fee service.

Please consider making a small donation to help keep this site running

Click here to donate through PayPal (opens in a new window)

• 2 weeks later...

Just an update. Have spoken to the guy from the accountacy firm that is dealing with my trust deed & he has assured me that it would not be a problem moving to OZ as long as the payments are kept up to date. If anybody knows for definite that this is wrong, could they please let me know.