• Tweets

• OK, you made a bad mistake by outing yourself as the driver. But that's not fatal.  It's a case of one argument unfortunately down, but lots of other arguments still standing.  Chiefly that this is a scam site with an invisible line separating two car parks in order to entrap motorists. 1.  As LFI says, send a SAR to MET so you can get your hands on their original invoice.  Invest in a 2nd class stamp and get a free Certificate of Posting from the post office. 2.  About six months ago, when the tsunami of cases at this site started, lots of Caggers contacted the CEO of Starbucks  https://www.ceoemail.com/s.php?id=ceo-82463&c=Starbucks UK-General Manager  Starbucks then contacted EuroGarages which seems to be another company in their group, and which runs the Stansted branch, and which got the invoice withdrawn.  However, after one, two, 10, 20 of these cases Starbucks seemed to get fed up.  However, it's only an e-mail, and surely worth a shot.  Lay it on thick about being a regular Starbucks customer but on this occasion you found the branch closed, and it is completely unfair to be charged £100 for briefly stopping in a car park while trying to use Starbucks. The main point here though is that MET are very, very wary of starting court cases for this site.  If they don't do court there's no reason to pay them.
    • Thanks jk2054, you were indeed correct. I've received the court order requesting documents and the witness statement etc. which I will read through and begin to compile shortly.
    • Find out what these WhatsApp scams are and what to do if you receive a message from a scammerView the full article
    • You need to send Met an SAR and they will send you the original PCN .. However all their PCNs appear to be the same and as the car parks are on airport land the keeper is not liable for the debt. Only the driver is responsible. But there are other considerations which can be enough for you to win. Poorly lit signage; scam site, it's a penalty; as well as problems with the contract. So you have a lot of things going for you as well as Met are not keen to take well defended cases to Court.  
    • The brand, which runs 216 shops as well as franchised stores, is looking at ways to save cash.View the full article
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

Argos Faulty Laptop

timethrow
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5202 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hello, I recently purchased (23/12/09) an Acer Aspire One D250 from there catoulouge and it was working fine till the 14/01/10and so yesterday 16/01/10 it would only display the green power light and therfore would not start up so not being that technical minded i went into Argos and spoke to the duty Manager who said "Due to the fact that there is a Screw missing and Scrathes on another Screw you will NEVER be able to get a refund and i HAVE to send it off for repair which will cost you upto £100" and i was very annoyed but i did not let him see that and i then said "Since this item is less than 6 months old and is Faulty as you can clearly see i Demand a FULL refund" in which told me then that it is my fault as i have supposedly invalidated the warranty by supposedly opening up the back compartment.

What can i do, Thanks

Sorry forgot to mention

1. I have never opened it up and have no clue as to what is there

2. When i got it the lady opened it before i had a chance to see if the seal was broken or not

3. The Screw may have never been there as it is not something i would check for

4. The Marks on the Screws could be from the factory the surface it was on anything.

thanks

Hi, I am going to introduce myself rather then hide behind anything, in which I am the Duty Manager in question. I am going to question your side of events. (Either that or its a coincidence of events that happened to me in my store yesterday)

Firstly a refund has not been refused outright, as there was evidence of the product having been opened at some point the product has been sent off to be inspected. I informed you that sending it away does not effect your statutory rights in anyway and should it come back as an inherent fault your rights for a refund still remain (As you may reject the goods under SGA 79 ss35).

Secondly a warranty has not been voided, I work with laptops, computers both software and hardware, I know what too look for, the types of scratches on screws, and there was a screw missing. There was also a partially opened panel on the back which was pushed back down. This was pushed down with a slight amount of pressure, which would have usually happened from general use. I don't see opening the back as a void of warranty myself, if the product still had an inherent fault it is something I would still honour via the SGA. It would however still have to coincide with the SGA regarding using the product with regards to the instructions provided.

Thirdly (and this is where we can see if you are my customer), as the repair system on the computer was not functioning, I did have to mention that you agree you have not damaged the product yourself, have used the product in accordance with the manufacturers instructions and accept liability otherwise. Should a charge come about the customer is ALWAYS informed first, otherwise the product will come back to you, a figure was never mentioned, as to be honest I have no idea what something like that would be!

The outcome of what to do with the product was also changed from a Refund to Repair whilst in the store. Should it still come back repaired, due to an inherent fault I will still honour a refund for the product.

Whilst you are entitled to a full refund under the Sales of Goods Act 1979 (ss35 acceptance) we still have the right to send it off to determine the fault. It is something we will usually do for high value items, the product may have been sold without the screws etc, taking the SGA into account it is something that can be assumed unless we have evidence otherwise. However due to a screw missing, I have sent it away to check it is an inherent fault, something we are by law allowed to do.

If you do have any queries don't hesitate to ask, I have flagged this thread for a couple of people to take a look at in order to provide an unbiased view on your rights.

Sincerely

Dan

Ex-Retail Manager who is happy to offer helpful advise in many consumer problems based on my retail experience. Any advise I do offer is my opinion and how I understand the law.

Stores DO retairn the right to decide whether an item should be refunded or repaired, it is not within the gift of the consumer to decide one or the other.

There is clearly a dispute over the goods themselves, but after 14 days, with a scew missing and scratches, the probability that these were caused post-sale would be greater, as Acer's QC is pretty good, and as this was Grade A stock, no issues as described were notedd by the purchaser prioer to the complaint being made - making it likely that an attempt to repair (check for fuses) would have been a possibility.

A diagnostic check of the unit will identify the problem, and if a genuine fault in service, Acer will most likely arrange for a new replacement as a matter of goodwill. However, if dampness or other systemic issues will prevail, then a repair can be rejected due to abuse, and a caim required under your own household policy.

Under the circumstances described, I think the shop has acted fairly, and hopefully the resolution will be fast and in your favour.

Of course, the problem with anything like this is, was all the facts as told to the customer understood correctly and then copied faithfully here. It is so easy to be swayed one way or another by what is posted.

There is no reason to disbelieve anything you have said blitz and it is very admirable that you have identified yourself.

If, (I can only use the word 'if' here), the story is exactly as told, then the store would appear to have done all that is required by the regulations and not denied, or attempted to deny, the customer any of their rights under soga, but did in fact point out that sending it away does not lose them the right of a refund which is the stores decision to make along with replacement or repair.

Naturally you, even as a gesture of goodwill, cannot just take the complaint at face value and have sent the machine away for inspection. Any knowledge you may have of computers is not really relevent and is only an aid to you being able to offer more to your customers while still remaining loyal to your employer to whom your first priority lies but without diminishing customer services and customer rights.

I would like the op to remark further on where he/she thinks the £100 was introduced into the conversation.

It's unusual, but not impossible, that parts were omited during production as it is also possible that it is a past return from somewhere else that has been repaired and reboxed.

Your ultimate decision on how you conclude this will depend on the report sent to you by Acer.

Edited by Conniff

Seems like it really is a coincidence, and as such apologises. It does therefore seem that there are a couple of laptops coming out like this and as such will outline your rights (Which are posted in my post).

Should the product turn out to be an inherent fault, regardless of if it is repaired or not you retain the rights to reject the goods under the sales of goods act 1979. The store cannot restrict these rights or override them.

I'll give Yeovil a call tomorrow to establish if its the same model, and await what acer/repair agent states from my customer.

As a note I work in Guildford, to help clarify any issues there.

Ex-Retail Manager who is happy to offer helpful advise in many consumer problems based on my retail experience. Any advise I do offer is my opinion and how I understand the law.

sorry blitz i get so few messages i seldom check them, however i promise i will check them more in future.

as a laptop repair agent i can state that screws often go missing, no specific model but i can state that some acer models have that happen.

as for the pushed in cover i cant comment i have repaired acer ones but unfortunatly mostly for broken screens, if i get any more ill check the covers for you. i may have one at the min i will have to check when i get back to work if i have or not.

(as an aside i beleave the place i currently work for may be bidding for your repair contract soon)

as a personal opinion you are ALWAYS entitiled to send it off for a second opinion the sales of goods act does NOT provide for an instant refund. although in some ways the customer is right that as its under 6 months old its down to the retailer to prove that the item was not at fault.

again im sorry for not replying sooner, im on the forums ussually at least once a day, i WILL check the messages repeadly in future

Please note:

• I am employed in the IT sector of a high street retail chain but am not posting in any official capacity,so therefore any comments,suggestions or opinions are expressly personal ones and should not be viewed as an endorsement or with agreement of any company.
  • i am not legal trained in any form.
  • I have many experiences in life and do often use these in my posts

if ive been helpful kick my scales, if ive been unhelpful kick the scales of the person more helpful :eek:

Just as an update I have spoken to Yeovil today. Unfortunately the manager who dealt with this issue on Saturday is off today, awaiting to hear an update from him before looking into the situation further.

The laptop (I assume) will still be sent off to the repair agent, and I am sure yeovil will contact you when it is in. The store manager there is aware of the situation there and in my store, we will try to keep you updated.

Also due to it being from another store, be aware that the decision comes down to them and not myself, I can only speak on behalf of the customer I have dealt with

Edited by blitz