• Tweets

• Well stuff and all they can do with only a restriction k  £13k thats one hell of a card debt..   wonder why rbs decided to sell it on ....should they have allowed you to have such a large balance? Were you well solvent at the time? Looks like you were not if you had to pay your mortgage with it for god knows how long to run up £13k..   smacks of possible irresponsible lending to me esp if your credit file was shot with all manner of default s and lots other debt/ lending .
    • Hi guys    First post so apologies if I've made any mistakes on posting location or if this information if held in a general file location.   I have been declined a Mortgage recently based on defaults on my credit file that I genuinely didn't know anything about (details below)    British Gas - Defaulted in July 2019 owing £1,871 and £992 (settled Oct 2019)  Cabot – Defaulted Sept 2017 owing £330 (settled July 2017) Lowell – Defaulted May 2018 owing £79 -  Bt Consumer – Defaulted Feb 2016 owing £34 - This one isn't even in my name!    I was looking to see if anyone has a process or maybe letter templates for challenging Defaults and ultimately getting them removed from credit file?   I have spoken to a credit repair company who are looking to charge me £250 per Default to have them removed, however I would prefer to try and challenge these myself however have no idea where to start.    Any help appreciated. Happy to make a donation to the running of the site too if anyone can assist.   Many Thanks   
    • Priti Patel reaches £340,000 settlement with ex-Home Office chief Philip Rutnam "Priti Patel has reached a six-figure settlement with a senior civil servant following claims that he was forced out of his job for intervening in her alleged bullying of fellow staff, it has emerged."   https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2021/mar/04/priti-patel-reaches-six-figure-settlement-with-ex-home-office-chief-philip-rutnam   Now Johnson needs to explain how and why he over turned the assessment on her breach of ministerial code https://news.sky.com/story/boris-johnson-rules-priti-patel-did-not-breach-ministerial-code-over-bullying-allegations-12136986
    • So the CCJ is coming up to its sixth anniversary...hence the flurry of activity. Debt assignment even ones with a CCJ attached when sold or assigned....the transaction does not become complete until you have acknowledged or paid the new owner making them the legal owner.   Therefore they are desperate to get you on board with some kind of payment arrangement before it hits that  6 years period since the CCJ was given.   An action cannot be brought on any judgment after the expiry of 6 years from the date it became enforceable. The term “action” only applies to the commencement of fresh proceedings on a judgment, it does not include enforcement proceedings so, strictly speaking, for enforcement purposes and enforcement proceedings, no limitation period applies. However, any delay in enforcement on the part of the judgment creditor will affect any award of interest as recoverable interest is limited to 6 years on a judgment that is executed after the expiry of the 6 year period. Court permission is required to enforce a judgment debt that is more than 6 years old. In a particular case of Warrants of Execution, these must be renewed after 12 months if they have not been enforced. Further, the court is entitled to take account of delay and enforcement when exercising its discretion to grant any Order sought.       .
    • Already covered whether they should in my post #5 link...and no its not a telephone issue...its a service company exploiting its customers with a premium rate phone support contact number.
  • Our picks

• I sent in the bailiffs to the BBC. They collected £350. It made me smile.
        • Haha
    • Hi @BankFodder
      Sorry for only updating you now, but after your guidance with submitting the claim it was pretty straight forward and I didn't want to unnecessarily waste your time. Especially with this guide you wrote here, so many thanks for that
      So I issued the claim on day 15 and they requested more time to respond.
      They took until the last day to respond and denied the claim, unsurprisingly saying my contract was with Packlink and not with them.

I opted for mediation, and it played out very similarly to other people's experiences.

In the first call I outlined my case, and I referred to the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 as the reason to why I do in fact have a contract with them. 

In the second call the mediator came back with an offer of the full amount of the phone and postage £146.93, but not the court costs. I said I was not willing to accept this and the mediator came across as a bit irritated that I would not accept this and said I should be flexible. I insisted that the law was on my side and I was willing to take them to court. The mediator went back to Hermes with what I said.

In the third call the mediator said that they would offer the full amount. However, he said that Hermes still thought that I should have taken the case against Packlink instead, and that they would try to recover the court costs themselves from Packlink.

To be fair to them, if Packlink wasn't based in Spain I would've made the claim against them instead. But since they are overseas and the law lets me take action against Hermes directly, it's the best way of trying to recover the money.

So this is a great win. Thank you so much for your help and all of the resources available on this site. It has helped me so much especially as someone who does not know anything about making money claims.

Many thanks, stay safe and have a good Christmas!

• Thanks
    • Hermes and mediation hints. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/428981-hermes-and-mediation-hints/&do=findComment&comment=5080003
      • 1 reply
    • Natwest Bank Transfer Fraud Call HMRC Please help. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/428951-natwest-bank-transfer-fraud-call-hmrc-please-help/&do=findComment&comment=5079786
      • 33 replies

Please note that this topic has not had any new posts for the last 4065 days.

If you are trying to post a different story then you should start your own new thread. Posting on this thread is likely to mean that you won't get the help and advice that you need.

If you are trying to post information which is relevant to the story in this thread then please flag it up to the site team and they will allow you to post.

Thank you

I've been sent a final notice by Marstons saying the are goin to come and remove items from my house is I don't pay in ful in th next 7 days!! I stupidly ignored a letter saying I had to pay a fine because I had my foot on a seat on the train... I live at my mothers house at th moment and lost my job 2 months ago, I have just phoned Marstons and said I can't pay the £315.00 they are asking. I was told if I paid £70 today i could pay the rest by the 14 Feb, I told them I didn't even have 70p at the moment ( don't get any money untill next week ) They then said it would be passed on to the next available bailiff!! Can anyone help please, don't know what to do next!! :(:(:Cry:

Hi and welcome to the cag, although I dont condone feet on train seats, I also dont think Marstons can charge what they want.

was what the original cost of the fine and when did you have to pay it, was it issued by a court or just an on the spot thing

more details would help

PGH7447

Getting There Slowly

---------

Advice is given freely but is in no way meant to be taken as Gospel:-)

Well the original fine was £50.... Which for some unknown reason I decided not pay ( please don't shake ya head I was having a bad year! ) It went to court and I didn't go, the old bury head in sand technique, which I can't believe hasn't worked for me! The Fine is now £265 and £50 bailiff fees. Is there anything I can do to pay this off over a bit of time??

you would have to speak nicely to marstons, are you on benefits?

PGH7447

Getting There Slowly

---------

in that case I would try and make an arrangement with the court, people on jsa cant be expected to cough up a fine like that, go to the court on monday and ask what options there are, in the meantime dont let marstons in your house, and if they do gain entry then they can only take / record what is your property not what is your mums

PGH7447

Getting There Slowly

---------

Im in the same boat with the same people mate. If you ring any contact number on their site all you get is a payment line! They dont accept any calls unles you have a card in your hand for the full payment. My bill is 3000 almost so count yourself lucky LOL!

Im off to court on monday!

Waste of time speaking to any of the "insensitive script reading excuse's for human beings" at Marston's!! They will just frustrate and wind you up beyond belief. My partner nearly had a heart attack while trying to talk to them :(

Hi scotty, that's looking like a very expensive train journey at the moment!

Definately try the court route first. They are ones who set the fine in the first place and the ones who would be interested in your income level. Don't forget to take proof of entitle ment and, if it was me, I'd be happy to provide my bank statement showing that I don't have any hidden treasure.

Here's a link and qoute why the court will be interested:

Department for Constitutional Affairs - Enforcement - National Standards for Enforcement Agents

Those who might be considered vulnerable include the following:

the elderly;

people with a disability;

the seriously ill;

the recently bereaved;

single parent families;

pregnant women;

unemployed people; and,

those who have obvious difficulty in understanding, speaking or reading English.

Best wishes.

Rae.

Edited by RaeUK
tie poo