MOT disaster!

cdti_88
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5209 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Im in a really messed up situation at the moment with my car.

Took my car to MOT my mates brother's station on 4th, and it failed on brakes and emissions. So got the work done and I dropped it off today for the retest, to be told they wont be able to retest till Wednesday, because VOSA have to come down and do some checks because the MOT station is going through a change of ownership. nI was then told, I'll have to pay for a full test again, and the car will be fully retested again!

Ive already paid for the first test, but as I'm his brother's mate, he will do me the second MOT half price.

I don't see why I should have to wait 4 days and then pay for a full retest again (where it could be possible they point out more faults that may have developed or been missed)

Just looking for advice thanks

Under these circumstances, as I remember , then a full re test fee would be the case as the car was removed from the garage for the work to be done. You could take it to an alternative station for testing where again you would have to pay the full fee.

What an individual garage charges for fees is up to them but there is a ceiling point.

sorry, what i didnt make clear was that this garage does not charge anything for a partial retest and also they give the customer 10 working days to return. I complied with the 10 day notice, and was told it was OK to bring in today, but when I got there was told the above (post 1)

Frankly I'd go to another garage and pay the full fee and take along the failure note. Not in your interests to let VOSA to look at it.

Just a case of unfortunate timing me thinks and not your fault or the garages.

Problem here is if VOSA does inspect your car and there is a difference of opinion.

Hi, im looking for advice re MOT. Have been taking my cars to the same guy for over 10yrs now and hes always been ok. Until now. Took car for an MOT and it failed. he told me it failed and needed a new trye and the middle seat belt. I took the car back the following day and asked him to do the work, he said he couldnt that day but would pick up from my house the following morning.

9am next morning he arrived and as he was leaving he handed me a set of car keys...i asked what they were for and he said "you will need to use it to collect the kids from school".

a week went by and didnt hear anything but my baby son was really sick that week so collecting the car was last on my mind. The 2nd week i called him and asked were my car was that it was the longest tyre and seat belt change in history. The assistant at the garage said he had no idea were my car was he had seen it the week before but couldnt tell me anything and i would need to call back when the owner was in. I called several times by phone and went in. Finally i got hold of him and he said he had forgotten all about it with being busy. That evening my friend called and told me that the owner had been driving around in it as she had seen him on several occasions. Another week went by and still nothing....i was starting to get fed up when he turned up at my house. He said here is the keys will sort the bill and post. I didnt to this day recieve a bill.

But he has phoned my ex numerous times asking him for £750.

He told him there was 5 things wrong and not 2. I didnt recieve a failed certificate from him this time which is normally attached to the MOT.

Can he charge me for work that i didnt know about, didnt agree to, and if he had told me the cost i would have declined and waited.

To date i still havnt recieved a bill.

Simple answer, no he can't. Did he give you a failure and pass certificate when he returned the car?

Go here -http://www.motinfo.gov.uk/ - and check what it says about your MoT, the date it was done and if there is any mention of the tyre and seat belt.

He never had your permission to use it either and if any violations were commited while he was using it, they will come to you.

When you have checked on the VOSA site, come back and tell us what it says, but in the meantime, don't pay that bill.

• Haha 1

Frankly I'd go to another garage and pay the full fee and take along the failure note. Not in your interests to let VOSA to look at it.

Just a case of unfortunate timing me thinks and not your fault or the garages.

Problem here is if VOSA does inspect your car and there is a difference of opinion.

Two reasons why I'm not keen to do that, I'm scared my car will fail on other aspects that were missed by my mates brother, and secondly, he's doing it for just £15. If I was to take my MOT failur sheet to a different garage, would they just check them bits for me (it's easy money for them)?

PS: As I'm a mate of his brothers, he said he would 'sort out' the emissions failure for £50 extra (My car has no cat and has very high emissions as a result)

Spoke to him today again, and he said it's going through a 'change of entity' and I'm not the only person affected.

The fact that it was removed from the testing garage for repair entitles any garage to charge the full fee for the retest. If it goes to the orginal garage then they can charge what they want but would have to do a full test again.

The emissions issue is very clear. What puffs out either passes or fails. There are ways around it as the test is "at the time of inspection".

My sixth sense here is starting to sound alarm bells.

There was an agreement of a free partial retest within 10 days, even if the car was removed from premises, and the emissions thing is a 'favour' he's doing so I don't have to faff about buying a cat and getting it fitted.

Thank you.

I have the following info from vosa

Date of test:12/10/2009Certificate issue refused (Fail)Odometer reading:71,402 MilesTest number:312195289426Test station name:NORTH WALES RECOVERYTest station number:0747AJTest station telephone number:01492593622Test class:IVReason(s) for refusal to issue Certificate

Anti-lock braking system warning lamp indicates an ABS fault (3.4.1d)Windscreen washer provides insufficient washer liquid (8.2.3)Nearside Rear behind front seat Seat belt retracting mechanism defective (5.1.B.5b)No Advisory Notice issued

------------------------------------------

The first two i have not been aware of until i saw this report. I was told i needed a new rear tyre which he i believed had been changed. And the 3rd fault being the seatbelt.

O i forgot to answer the first question.

No he didnt give me the failure notice just the pass certificate. All other times it has failed i have had the failure attached to the pass certificate once its been fixed.

cdti88 you recently posted about not needing a pair of mg headlights that you no longer needed for mot purposes, £15 for a test and sort emissions on a fairly modern vehicle with no cat for £50!!! not a hookey mot tester is it?