style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5183 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I got a letter this morning (dated 2th Jan 2010) saying i had 7 days from the date of the letter to pay £2900! The debt is for CSA. The bill was made up of £50 a week while i was unemployed, to which i refused to pay and to cut it short - got nowhere.

I accept there is nothing i can do about the amount owed so i made arrangements to pay £100 a month with the CSA. They accepted this but said they were gonna send it to court anyway to make it a legal debt. This was 6 months ago but they didnt attempt to take a single payment from my bank. I have the agreement letter from them and a bank statement showing they made no attempt at all to take a single payment.

The next thing i wake up to this letter. I work 30 hours a week on minimum wage with 72 a week working tax. I pay 420 a month rent, 56 a week council tax (i have arrears) 30 a month water rates, 37 every 3 months for tv lisence, 80 a month gas & electric - all in all my bills every month BEFORE food etc comes to 890. Where do they expect me to pull this sort of money from? I split with my last partner and left with nothing and moved into this address 9 months ago. On my income i have afforded very little for the house and if a bailif came they would not even get 300 quids worth nevermind 3000!

I do want to pay this bill and with help i can afford 100 a month for aslong as it takes but i dont know what to do next? According to the letter i have till monday to find 3 grand, is there no way i can do anything to arrange a payment of 100 a month? I do not want bailifs adding on stupid amounts of charges for a complete waste of time visit to my house.

Any help appreciated - sooner the better please.

Hi Need, I'm sorry I know nothing about CSA however I hope you get some constructive advice soon.

All I can say is, if I was in that situation, what would I do?

Well, clearly there has been a court order for the debt. You have proof that you made an offer to the CSA, they agreed it but then never took anything from you despite you supplying the necessary information. I would be hoping that I could apply for a re-hearing to present my case and ask for an agreed payment schedule. That said, it doesn't look - on the surface - particularly good that you then didn't chase the CSA for six months. [i could be wrong on that].

I am sure you will get plenty of advice regarding dealing with bailiffs, I just think it would help if you could get back to square one somehow...

Just my basic thoughts.

Rae.

Edited by RaeUK
typoo

thanks for the site it looks good but seems like its somehow gonna cost me money??? just a feeling when the site is so bare with just a number to ring ...

did you read the whole website.. here is a quote from 'about them'

"Here at Child Support Guidance we offer a range of services for you by email, telephone or face to face to suit your needs, often at no cost."

It will cost you a phone call to find out there is a contact page to email them

[email protected]

You'll have a lot longer than that. It's highly unlikely that they'll be coming by then and certainly not to remove. They need to gain access first - don't let them in - and make a levy. They will look for a car if you have one. I'll post up some bailiff tips once I locate the right page, if someone doesn't do it first. [That said, HCEO's operate slightly differently to Bailiffs].

I'd still be wanting to explore the court route AS WELL as any other action.

Rae.

Edited by RaeUK
typo

I'm sure you'll attract better advice from several people here who are quite clued up on Bailiffs and HCEOs - I'm assuming your new friends are the latter. The former certainly cannot break into a property without gaining peacefull entry prior. The latter are a little more complicated but I suspect you're a long way from that yet. Despite any bluster you may get.

Good luck.

Rae.

Edited by RaeUK
typoo

the bailiffs have no powers of entry, the CSA CAN GET AN ATTACHMENT OF EARNINGS, REVOKE YOUR DRIVING LICENSE, FREEZE YOUR BANK ACCOUNTS AND AS A LAST RESORT GO FOR COMMITAL PROCEEDINGS.

all of which is highly unlikely, you cant get blood out of a stone.

i have read that certain bailifs do have power to enter with a warrant???

To add to this lot my girlfriend at present is 5 months pregnant (showing quite a bump) and is getting very stressed to the point of crying to sleep last night.

As you said twonames - i cant give what i haven't got but they just don't understand that term, several staff at the CSA demanded 240 a month from my very low wage and when i explained i couldnt pay that much all i got was "That's not my problem" - one guy said it 27 times in one call, i actually counted after the fifth time!

i have read that certain bailifs do have power to enter with a warrant???

To add to this lot my girlfriend at present is 5 months pregnant (showing quite a bump) and is getting very stressed to the point of crying to sleep last night.

As you said twonames - i cant give what i haven't got but they just don't understand that term, several staff at the CSA demanded 240 a month from my very low wage and when i explained i couldnt pay that much all i got was "That's not my problem" - one guy said it 27 times in one call, i actually counted after the fifth time!

Magistrates fines , do have that power.

Not with the CSA LIABILITY ORDER,

Personally i wouldnt speak to them on the phone, write to them.

If you are on a low wage they can only take so much, if you have no possession they cant take them from you.

The other options I have stated will cost them money, commital proceeding would be if you refused to pay , which you are not

why didnt they get an attachment of earnings in the first place? this mess would have been sorted by now. surely it would be easier than going down this path as i have no bother paying them - i want to, but monthly. I certainly wish i was sat on a few grand but i am not, i dont even have a basic bank account!

Magistrates fines , do have that power.

Not with the CSA LIABILITY ORDER,

Personally i wouldnt speak to them on the phone, write to them.

If you are on a low wage they can only take so much, if you have no possession they cant take them from you.

The other options I have stated will cost them money, commital proceeding would be if you refused to pay , which you are not

its out of their hands now and with these aweful bailiffs who say there is no chance of making a long term agreement, they have a court order and want all the money now or they will seize all my goods. i read that on the charming Marston website under FAQ.

I got a letter this morning (dated 2th Jan 2010) saying i had 7 days from the date of the letter to pay £2900! The debt is for CSA. The bill was made up of £50 a week while i was unemployed, to which i refused to pay and to cut it short - got nowhere.

were you ,before the period of being unemployed paying, anything on a regular basis?

I accept there is nothing i can do about the amount owed so i made arrangements to pay £100 a month with the CSA. They accepted this but said they were gonna send it to court anyway to make it a legal debt. This was 6 months ago but they didnt attempt to take a single payment from my bank. I have the agreement letter from them and a bank statement showing they made no attempt at all to take a single payment.

if this is their mistake then they have to investigate it and report back to you if they refuse then slap a SAR on them it will take them the full 40days and probably lots of letters asking you to give them extra time after that.

The next thing i wake up to this letter. I work 30 hours a week on minimum wage with 72 a week working tax. I pay 420 a month rent, 56 a week council tax (i have arrears) 30 a month water rates, 37 every 3 months for tv lisence, 80 a month gas & electric - all in all my bills every month BEFORE food etc comes to 890. Where do they expect me to pull this sort of money from? I split with my last partner and left with nothing and moved into this address 9 months ago. On my income i have afforded very little for the house and if a bailif came they would not even get 300 quids worth nevermind 3000!

I do want to pay this bill and with help i can afford 100 a month for aslong as it takes but i dont know what to do next? According to the letter i have till monday to find 3 grand, is there no way i can do anything to arrange a payment of 100 a month? I do not want bailifs adding on stupid amounts of charges for a complete waste of time visit to my house.

Apply to have the matter re-heard using their own mistake to your advantage. this will probably end up with an attachment of earnings but at least it will be for an amount you can afford

Any help appreciated - sooner the better please.

You must apply for a stay of execution pending the outcome of the hearing or the bailiff will enforce... get to the court tomorrow and do that, if you are on any benefit you will be exempt for the fee.

Wd

You must apply for a stay of execution pending the outcome of the hearing or the bailiff will enforce... get to the court tomorrow and do that, if you are on any benefit you will be exempt for the fee.

Wd

WD tomorrow is saturday;)

All courts are closed.

But good advice for first thing Monday.

Thankyou everyone, looking like a busy start to the week, Need!

Do keep a copy of all correspondence.

Just to try to recap...

Contact your MP, write to the CSA, contact your local Magistrates Court for a hearing [if you're on a low income you should get help towards the cost], copy relevant correspondence to the bailiff company.

Does your girlfriend live with you? If this is the case, than you need to bring this to the attention of the Court and the bailiff, due to the National Standards for Enforcement Agents. :

Department for Constitutional Affairs - Enforcement - National Standards for Enforcement Agents

Those who might be considered vulnerable include the following:

the elderly;

people with a disability;

the seriously ill;

the recently bereaved;

single parent families;

pregnant women;

unemployed people; and,

those who have obvious difficulty in understanding, speaking or reading English.

Hope you're feeling a little better about your options.

Best wishes.

Rae.

the bailiffs have no powers of entry, the CSA CAN GET AN ATTACHMENT OF EARNINGS, REVOKE YOUR DRIVING LICENSE, FREEZE YOUR BANK ACCOUNTS AND AS A LAST RESORT GO FOR COMMITAL PROCEEDINGS.

all of which is highly unlikely, you cant get blood out of a stone.

I think they have power of entry as well