Layoff

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5181 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi,

I recently been laid off by my employer on last Friday, there is a clause in the letter that states:

You will be paid statutory guarantee payments during a period of any lay-off or short-time working.

Please note in order to receive Statutory guarantee pay & continued employment you must:

• reasonably make sure you are available for work
  • not refuse any reasonable alternative work, including work that isn't in your contract
  • be contactable by telephone & at your address supplied

Now its confusing for me as they told me that they will pay me only 21 pounds / day for only first 5 days and then they will pay me nothing but i will remain their employee.

I have these questions:

1. What if i have to look for other work and go for interviews or do some part time job. What if they call me and i am between an interview or if they ask me to come to office when i have to attend some interview?

2. How long i have to be in this situation as I cannot claim benefits and I have to look for job to look after my family.

3. If they contact me and give me some short time work that is not suitable for me should i accept that? As it is written that they will pay me statutory guarantee pay during short time work that is obviously not enough for my needs. What should i do? If i refuse such work where will I stand?

4. What if i resign? Will the same notice period apply as it is in the contract?

5. What is my holiday or sick leave status? Can i get holidays or sick leaves?

6. Can I appeal against this anywhere?

Thanks

nmm, I have no experience of the subject you need advice on. Have you looked at the ACAS website, which may have advice for people in your situation? Otherwise, they have a helpline which is usually pretty good.

Also, the CAB advise on some employment problems.

Hope you find a solution.

Illegitimi non carborundum

spnfan, how you are dealing with it as i am feeling myself helpless as i cannot pay huge fees of lawyers and my visa don't allow me the legal aid. My employer is playing with the laws and putting me under pressure so that i resign myself and he can save his 2 weeks notice and 2 weeks redundancy pay. That's ridiculous in this first world country......

Do you have a contract of employment?

If so, does it say anything about lay offs in your contract of employment?

The letter you quote in your opening post, is this something that has been issued to you just before laying you off?