style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5205 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi, this is my first post.

I have had a visit from a Bailiff from Bristow and Sutor about council tax debt. We got into arrears with them. The debt is in my husbands name.

The Bailiff was very rude, he said he's going to get a warrant for my husbands arresst and come back at 6pm tonight.

I got understandbly distressed by this and told him i am pregnant (i'm 10 weeks gone) and that i will not be opening the door to him. He said 'fine then, i'll be back at 6pm with the police'.

My 4 year old daughter with me and she said 'policeman?' he then said 'yes to take your daddy away.' Luckily, she didn't fully understand.

I phoned National Debt Line in tears. I am still not easy about it, it's fast approaching 6pm and what if they do come?

He handed me a letter, in it there was no mention of a warrant for arrest.

I am really distressed by this and just need some reassurance really and maybe insight as to what my rights are.

Thank you.

THE bailiffs wont come tonight with a warrant for your husbands arrest

only the council can obtain a warrant for arrest and they only do this if you refused to pay your council tax

I have had a visit from a Bailiff from Bristow and Sutor about council tax debt. We got into arrears with them

Have you been paying B&S and missed some payments

Thank you for your replies. I was paying the council then missed a payment and they sent it to B&S.

However, i am paying this years council tax and i'm going to put a complaint in about the Bailiff for the distress he caused.

We've been visited by other bailiffs and they are lovely and tell you what to do next.

We have never refused to pay them.

B&S won't talk to me about the debt but it's ok for them to send a bailiff to threaten me.

It's abit of a relief knowing they won't come.

I have had a visit from a Bailiff from Bristow and Sutor about council tax debt. We got into arrears with them. The debt is in my husbands name.

The Bailiff was very rude, he said he's going to get a warrant for my husbands arresst and come back at 6pm tonight.

I got understandbly distressed by this and told him i am pregnant (i'm 10 weeks gone) and that i will not be opening the door to him. He said 'fine then, i'll be back at 6pm with the police'.

My 4 year old daughter with me and she said 'policeman?' he then said 'yes to take your daddy away.' Luckily, she didn't fully understand.

I phoned National Debt Line in tears. I am still not easy about it, it's fast approaching 6pm and what if they do come?

I am really distressed by this and just need some reassurance really and maybe insight as to what my rights are.

Thank you.

As a result of this dreadful recession, bailiffs are finding it very difficult to obtain payment and resorting to these most dreadful of threats which is frankly very worrying indeed and sadly, if you make a complaint the bailiff will give an entirely different story.

Despite this, you MUST write a letter of complaint to the bailiff company and this should be copied to the Chief Executive of the local authority.

I would also urge anyone with serious complaints such as this to copy your letter of complaint to the Office of Fair Trading.

Thank you.

Tracey, although you are not heavily pregnant, any bailiff who understands and appreciates the worth of their bailiffs certificate should aknowledge that you are pregnant and be reasonable.

Di the bailiff Know you are pregnant, perhaps not as you are ten weeks.

What authority does the bailiff have to come to your house, is it a liability order?

...although you are not heavily pregnant...

...Di the bailiff Know you are pregnant, perhaps not as you are ten weeks...

Just for info, most miscarriages occur within the first 12 weeks of pregnancy. So, in reality, a woman in the earlier stages of pregnancy needs to be treated with as much care and dilligence as one in the later stages.

Tracey did notify the bailiff as is evidenced in her post you qouted!

Rae.

Edited by RaeUK
tie poo

Just for info, most miscarriages occur within the first 12 weeks of pregnancy. So, in reality, a woman in the earlier stages of pregnancy needs to be treated with as much care and dilligence as one in the later stages.

Tracey did notify the bailiff as is evidenced in her post you qouted!

Rae.

Me not reading carefully enough, I agree any woman who is pregnant should be treated with the utmost respect, but some people are not phsychic( cant remember how to spell) and it isnt always easy to tell.

Especially when you say to someonre" I WILL HAVE TO RETURN YOUR CASE TO THE COUNCIL, SEEING AS YOUR HEAVILY PREGNANT.

"You cheeky bugger im not pregnant"

OOPS!:D

Thank you for your replies, they have been comforting.

No, he didn't come back but every van that went past made me scared.

He was trying every trick in the book. He claimed we made a payment but it bounced?????

1- neither me or my husband have bank accounts with cheque books

2- any payment i made is by a payment card.

I got some advice and someone helped with a letter sent to B&S by email, i've had no reply.

I plan to make a complaint not only to his company but to the Office of fair trading and i may even complain to the council he became a bailiff with. I'm waiting on some info from National Debt line so i can write a brilliant letter.

I did tell him i was pregnant and it didn't make a difference.

It's council tax arrears he's visited for.

He's picked the wrong person to bully.

twonames your making me laugh. I might try the last one :grin:

Please write to the council with a letter headed COMPLAINT, this bailiff is working on the behalf of the council and they ARE responsible for the bailiffs actions. This bailiff over stepped the mark and should be bought down a peg or two especially what he said to your child.

I will do.

I've just realised something. He was watching me.

He was in a van and my husband went to the shops and then to his mates, he watched me come into the house on my own with my daughter.

He knew he wasn't in.

Ooh it's spurred me on more now.

I hope you keep that feeling to the forefront of your mind, hunni, and do everything you can. As people on here will do everything they can to help and support you.

The council should be aware and adhering to the National Standards for Enforcement Agents, the bailiff should be likewise.

Should he call again, and you want to keep yourself amused, through the letterbox or the doorchain ask him to pop back to his vehicle and get you a copy of the Standards - he should have copies readily available for his 'customers'...

Rae.

Edited by RaeUK
tie poo

Should he call again, and you want to keep yourself amused, through the letterbox or the doorchain ask him to pop back to his vehicle and get you a copy of the Standards - he should have copies readily available for his 'customers'...

Rae.

I will eat my knickers if he has a copy with him.. edible ones of course lol:lol:

lol, absolutely, I'd go into shock if it was produced! But it did make me smile when I read it in the Standards that they should be readily available both in the Enforcement Agents office and with the individual Agent!

Rae.

Edited by RaeUK
and pigs might fly...

Thank you for your replies, they have been comforting.

No, he didn't come back but every van that went past made me scared.

He was trying every trick in the book. He claimed we made a payment but it bounced?????

1- neither me or my husband have bank accounts with cheque books

2- any payment i made is by a payment card.

I got some advice and someone helped with a letter sent to B&S by email, i've had no reply.

I plan to make a complaint not only to his company but to the Office of fair trading and i may even complain to the council he became a bailiff with. I'm waiting on some info from National Debt line so i can write a brilliant letter.

I did tell him i was pregnant and it didn't make a difference.

It's council tax arrears he's visited for.

He's picked the wrong person to bully.

twonames your making me laugh. I might try the last one :grin:

You have sent a letter and this should be COPIED to the CHIEF EXECUTIVE of the local authority and marked as FORMAL COMPLAINT.By doing this, the council MUST investigate and the matter will have to be logged as a complaint and if a member of the public made a Freedom of Information request to the council to ask how many complaints there have been in the past year against their appointed bailiffs, your complaint would be counted in this number but crucially, complaints have a bearing when considering new Contracts so the bailiff will NOT want you to do this.

Many people (naturally) ASSUME that when they phone the council they are talking to a person in their local council office. This is NOT THE CASE.

A vast majority of councils now use "back office providers" which are in reality call centres!!

I would not advice all correspondence to be sent to the Chief Executive at all. This should be the route for "SERIOUS COMPLAINTS".

I have written a letter that i intend to send to his company and my local council.

I have a copy of the standards not from the bailiff.

I did get an email from B&S, they said they are not going to send it back to the council because they haven't exhausted all avenues and asked me to fill out what looks like a personal budget sheet form which i don't fully trust so i will do my own.

I haven't heard from the bailiff since.

I have had visits from bailiffs before who don't seem to care if you pay them or not, one told me to 'go back inside and i'll post a letter through'.

Bailiffs and debt collectors : Directgov - Money, tax and benefits

please read above it helped me (as well as his forum) when i had problem wih Rossendales for same reason. I paid council direct via online payments and my payments were never questioned and I never again heard from Rossendales. They are bullies PLEASE do not answer door to them and do not leave windows doors open. They have NO power to get in otherwise and NEVER fall for the "can I come in so we can arrange payment". I have children and felt exactly the same as you and it is scary if you do not know you rights. Good luck.

Hi there

If they visit again - Record what they say and say you are "So sympathetic to furthering their Hollywood career - you are going to send the Recording to "Equity" - the Actors Unions" so they can pursue their chosen career on the Stage".

These BAILIFFS have ZERO powers --as always SO LONG AS YOU HAVEN'T EVER EVER LET THEM IN.

Cheers

jimbo