Met parking and cancelled cheque

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5200 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

got a ticket from met parking for overstayiong at macdonalds.i panicked and sent a cheque(£50) to met and cancelled it yesterday after doing some research on them yesterday.

what should i expect now that i have cancelled the cheque.can they sue me for cancelling the cheque?the photos they sent shows the cars registration but it was too dark for anyone to identify the driver.

my main concern now is after sending off the cheque(stupidly on my part), and cancelling what will they do. please advice

It really is irrelevant what they do, but no doubt your actions will have severely upset them and will cause them to immediately throw all their toys out of the pram.

If you've read enough advice to be confident enough to cancel your cheque, you already know what they can lawfully do about it - absolutely nothing.

Incidentally, it was not stupidity on your part that made you send the cheque in the first place, you were simply reacting appropriately to something designed explicitly to get you to do exactly that.

If/when they send you something else and you're not sure if you should ignore it, post up on this thread so you can be reassured that ignoring it is the only thing to do.

RMW

"If you want my parking space, please take my disability" Common car park sign in France.

Just email them and tell them that you have cancelled the cheque after receiving legal advice and advise them not to cash it. Inform them that no further correspondence will be entered in to.

And leave it at that.

If you stopped the money, what more do you need.

By doing that you have shown your attitude towards the un enforceable invoice.

Just let em get on with what they think they can do to you.

Thats a big nothing.

Keep your cool and "Steady as she goes. "

The ball is in thier court.

I recon thas dun't reight thing if tha wants me brass tha can en ole as me old dad would say.Hen hole= get lost

But they have been advised that it has been cancelled. If I ordered something for £50 and accidentally sent them a cheque for £500 they couldn't claim £500.

They may try quoting the Bills of Exchange act 1882, hard to see that they'd bother for 50 squid but never say never.......

Theres not much in the way of defence to such a claim although signing a cheque whilst under duress is a reasonable assertion if pressed.

Gez

"Fraud undoes everything" Was there 'Fraud by false representation' ? With a BPA member the clear guidance given by Trading Standards comes into play... It sounds like they attempting on compelled performance (ignoring the cancelled invoice and going for the rest of it) so that doesn't that put it into Equity which would be very bad news for the claimant I believe.

Why all this speculation on what offence has been committed?

We all say that a PPC aint worth the paper its writtten, so if laddo's changed his mind then good for him.

I cant see what the problems is.

The ball is in the PPC's hands now, so let them get on with it.

You win some and loose some.

What goods or services had the poster given back word on, nowt.

What contract with the PPC as he violated non at all.

Therefore nowt +nowt= nowt.

I repeat what my dad would have said to this PPC

' tha can en ole. ' = get lost.

well i informed them that i have cancelled the cheque by email. as below:

Dear Sirs,

Re: Your letter dated [06/01/2010] Reference

I acknowledge receipt of your captioned letter. It seems that you have got my details from the DVLA and I can confirm I was the keeper of the vehicle in question at the time. I was however not the driver so you need to take this matter up with the driver concerned.

I sent you a cheque for £50 which have now been cancelled after taking legal advice. I suggest you do not cash this cheque.

In the meantime I absolutely deny your claim that the amount claimed, or any amount at all, is due to you from me. No further correspondence will be entered into concerning this matter.

Yours faithfully

and this is the reply i got from them which i have not replied and dont intend to:

Dear Mr -----

Parking Charge Notice: MP815382 | Date of Contravention: 24/12/2009 (Thu) - 19:34

Thank you for your email regarding the above Parking Charge Notice which was received on 1/14/2010.

I can confirm that upon receipt of your appeal it has been logged onto our database and passed to our appeals team. Be assured, your case has been placed on hold whilst we complete our review. As such, the outstanding charge will remain at the rate payable when the appeal was received.

What happens next?

Once the Appeals team has reviewed the case they will confirm the outcome in writing. Should your appeal be:

a) successful – the Parking Charge Notice will be cancelled and no further action will be taken. Any payment made will be refunded.

b) unsuccessful – we will confirm the reason(s) why and provide you with a further 14 days to pay (at the rate payable when the appeal was received).

In the meantime, you may use our Online Photo Review service to look at any photographic evidence related to your case at www.metreview.co.uk – you will need the Parking Charge Notice number and the Vehicle Registration.

Should you have any questions or require further information, please call our Customer Service team on 0845 370 8004. Our team will be happy to help you Monday – Friday between the hours of 10am – 5pm.

Yours sincerely

MET Parking

Customer Service Team

i will leave it at that and ignore them as adviced on this forum. that reply i got has even re-enforced my determination not to pay.

What happens next?

Once the Appeals team has reviewed the case they will confirm the outcome in writing. Should your appeal be:

a) successful – the Parking Charge Notice will be cancelled and no further action will be taken. Any payment made will be refunded.

b) unsuccessful – we will confirm the reason(s) why and provide you with a further 14 days to pay (at the rate payable when the appeal was received).

Gosh, where have I heard text like this before? Oh, I remember, it's worded very much like I would expect from a council, putting my case on hold, and then giving me another 14 days to pay the reduced rate.

If I was a cynical person I might think that they have worded it like this to make me think it IS an official PCN thingybob..... Come to think of it, I AM a cynical person and that is exactly what I think! :lol: :lol:

• 2 weeks later...

thanks everyone on this forum.i got a letter from met yesterday and this letter goes to prove that these guys are cowboys. i sent them an email to say that i have cancelled the £50 cheque i sent them and that they should contact the driver of the vehicle at the time.

they sent a reply to say they have received my appeal(was my email an appeal?? well) and that they will investigate.si ignored the email as adviced on this forum.

i did not hear from them till yesterday. the letter said that as the owner of the car i am still responsible for the ticket.they adviced that i pass on the ticket to the driver of the vehicle at the time of offence.if not the MAY take me to court or get ccj against me etc etc (ok i look forward to that).

then at the end of the letter they say 'please note we have got payment for this offence and so we declare the case closed'

hang on!!!!!! i cancelled the cheque two weeks ago and i checked and checked again yesterday.its cancelled.

anyway i am glad they closed the case. i suppose that is what is important as far as i'm concerned.this just goes to show that this company just tries it on.thanks everyone for your help.