Family member asked to attend a welfare meeting while off sick!!

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5187 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi All,

I am writing on here for my cousin whose is currently off work with stress.

I am unsure what to advise her as it is a complex situation! She works for a well known company who I believe are treating her unfairly and I can't believe some of the rubbish I am hearing!

Basically, her manager has been texting her to ask her to attend a welfare meeting at work while she is signed off sick - she has also been asked to ring in twice a week to update her on how she is feeling, is this neccessary? Furthermore, when asked to drop in her sick note they wanted her to document any hospital appointment letters and medication she is on!!

Prior to this, she had been given a written warning for absence at work for taking more than 3 days off in a year (noted in the company's policy) due to swine flu. I have also got a list as long as my hand of other things that have happened but I won't go in to every detail as I will run out of space.

In my view she is being bulled and harassed at work and they want her out. She is barely able to cope with it all and is unable to sleep, eat.

Can anyone advise where to go from here?

Her doctor is updating her employer on how she's feeling, by issuing sick notes. It's none of their business what treatment/medication she's receiving.

I'd advise her not to go into work any more. Post the sick notes (recorded).

She needs to state that if they wish to communicate with her, they do so in writing.

What size is the business?

Thanks elpulpo. That's what I advised her. I can't believe they are texting her about a so called 'formal' meeting. They are being unprofessional - Its a large multinational company so they should know better.

What do you envisage she do when she returns to work, does she have a case for grievance/constructive dismissal? She does not feel like returning to work at the moment.

Thanks elpulpo. That's what I advised her. I can't believe they are texting her about a so called 'formal' meeting. They are being unprofessional - Its a large multinational company so they should know better.

What do you envisage she do when she returns to work, does she have a case for grievance/constructive dismissal? She does not feel like returning to work at the moment.

Yes. She needs to document the issues that have brought her to the point that she now is on sick leave. She should submit a grievance. She can either do that now, if she feels addressing these issues would speed her recovery and enable her to return to work, or she can submit the grievance when she feels well enough to return to work.

Often, the issues need to be addressed in order for her to return to work. One is unlikely to get better when one has the trepidation of returning to the same environment.

Constructive dismissal is notoriously difficult to prove, and one must exhaust all avenues of grievance before resigning.

I read a comment somewhere recently about CD, " Never resign and claim CD, unless you're happy to resign anyway".

Very true.

Nah. I don't agree with that.

I'm not going to make sweeping statements about unions, I've no experience of them myself, but from what I've heard they can range from extremely helpful to completely useless.

I certainly wouldn't be at all happy about someone from work coming to my house.

Communicate in writing only.

Hi there. I've been in this situation and would definitely agree that people coming to your daughter's house is a complete nono.

I think there's another thread about interview whilst off sick from today or tomorrow, on this forum. I don't think [subject to confirmation] that they're allowed to do this. And of course it will make your daughter's condition worse.

I don't know if asking them to deal by letter, say, would work, but I would be trying to keep them at arm's length for my own sanity, whatever their intentions are.

Illegitimi non carborundum