2 wheels on pavement on Boxing Day

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5211 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi all

I just wanted some advice about the legality of my ticket.

I received a ticket on Boxing day for having 2 wheels on the curb.

Is it legal? The road AND the pavement are huge, I only parked up on the kerb because everyone else on the road did and stupidly I followed suit.:Cry:

pavement parking.pdf

Footway parking is a contravention throughout London unless specifically signed as being allowed at a particular location. In the rest of the real world (outside London) a more realistic and reasonable approach is generally taken. :)

The offence, therefore, appears valid, but there may be other things wrong with the PCN so hang fire whilst some of the council PCN expertshave a glance at it.

Hi,

AIUI parking is not allowed on the footpath in London but is allowed outside of London.

Nice to see Brent observing a public holiday. Can't see any way out but I'm sure our experts on PCNs will be able to tell you if there are any flaws in their ticket.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This does not constitute legal advice and is not represented as a substitute for legal advice from an appropriately qualified person or firm.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi,

AIUI parking is not allowed on the footpath in London but is allowed outside of London.

Nice to see Brent observing a public holiday. Can't see any way out but I'm sure our experts on PCNs will be able to tell you if there are any flaws in their ticket.

26th wasn't a public holiday and even if it was people still use footways on bank holidays.

bit of a jobsworth though being a meter maid on boxing day

Since its not a public holiday most employees don't get the luxury of having the day off unless they take holiday. I doubt the Police all had the day off and didn't prosecute anyone for driving offences.

I doubt that the police have days off on bank holidays.

So the point about this alleged decriminalised (civil) contravention is what exactly.....?

Thats it's OK to be so pendantic? That if the warden had to work on a day that others could spend at home, he was entitled to make sure that somebody suffered for it?

What happened to the season of goodwill?

And common sense.

Hi monaleezza,

I can completely understand your following suit if the other drivers were parked on the pavement.

We have the problem of parking on the pavement where I live and although it's a wide pavement and doesn't generally obstruct that, it does mean that if you park legally on the road, your car is the one that is sticking out and might get hit by cars coming alongside the ones half on the pavement and not concentrating and seeing that yours is sticking out. I've never seen anyone get done for it though, and I live in London. I personally don't do it - just try to park between other 'on the road' cars.

However, that is just on one side of the street where there is free parking. On the other side of the road there is a yellow line so okay to park there in the evenings and on Sundays and I'm afraid many people in the street (including me if it's pouring with rain and there's nowhere else to park) do park half on the pavement there in a line, just as you have said, and again it's down to not wanting to be hit by passing traffic.

DD

I doubt that the police have days off on bank holidays.

So the point about this alleged decriminalised (civil) contravention is what exactly.....?

Thats it's OK to be so pendantic? That if the warden had to work on a day that others could spend at home, he was entitled to make sure that somebody suffered for it?

What happened to the season of goodwill?

And common sense.

The point of DPE is that parking offences can be dealt with outside the Courts via the civil system it wasn't to allow people to break the law on days they feel they should be entitled to. The saturday wasn't a bank holiday it was a normal working day and a busy one at that. I'm sure the people that have to walk in the street because some half wit decides that the road is not big enough for their car don't share you point of view. DPE was brought in to lower the seriousness of parking offences it was to enable a HIGHER level of enforcement. If drink driving was decriminalised would that mean you should be allowed to get ****ed and drive over the holidays? Maybe you consider that the entire period christmas eve to after new year should be a parking free for all and whilst at it why not chuck in muslim, hindu and jewish religious periods to? Moving traffic offences are decriminalised in London so why not allow cars to ignore all road signs over christmas it would be so much easier to get to the sales you could drive thru the pedestrian areas and park on the footway outside the store! :rolleyes:

As I say - what happened to the season of goodwill?

And common sense -

There are NO 'offences' and 'fines' in a decriminalised system. They are contraventions and charges and merely based on a belief.

In this case the belief of a mean spirited civilian warden

It is the style of enforcement that has been questioned.

What being consistent and applying the law as it was intended? Parking on the footway damages the kerb/paving and creates a hazard for those the footway is intended for, just because its during the christmas period doesn't make it suddenly ok.

so as you have such strong opnions on this thread can you please answer my earlier post about libraries being closed on what you call a normal working day. You are quite correct the date of this offence does not make it ok. I was making a point which I had deemed relevant reading the earlier posts. Which was that some contributors felt the issuing of an fpn on the 26th of December was harsh. Accordingly I labelled this view as questioning the style of enforcement.

so as you have such strong opnions on this thread can you please answer my earlier post about libraries being closed on what you call a normal working day. You are quite correct the date of this offence does not make it ok. I was making a point which I had deemed relevant reading the earlier posts. Which was that some contributors felt the issuing of an fpn on the 26th of December was harsh. Accordingly I labelled this view as questioning the style of enforcement.

How would I know why your library was shut? Parking restrictions operate 24/7 I wouldn't expect to park on a double yellow line at 11pm nor would I expect to get a book from a library.

However if you did I would be surprised to see the so called word nor in any English dictionary. I am surprised you are not able to tell me why some borough libraries were closed as you appear to be a human encyclopedia!

nor /nɔːʳ/

• You use nor after `neither' in order to introduce the second alternative or the last of a number of alternatives in a negative statement. CONJ CONJ-COORD-NEG
    • Neither Mr Rose nor Mr Woodhead was available for comment yesterday.
    • I can give you neither an opinion nor any advice.
    • They can neither read nor write, nor can they comprehend such concepts.

[*]You use nor after a negative statement in order to indicate that the negative statement also applies to you or to someone or something else. CONJ CONJ-COORD-NEG

• `None of us has any idea how long we're going to be here.'—`Nor do I.'
    • `If my husband has no future,' she said, `then nor do my children.'
    • He doesn't want to live in the country when he grows up, nor does he want to live in the city.

[*]You use nor after a negative statement in order to introduce another negative statement which adds information to the previous one. CONJ CONJ-COORD-NEG

• Cooking up a quick dish doesn't mean you have to sacrifice flavour. Nor does fast food have to be junk food.

I guess you need to use a library more than I do!

Take it to the bear garden guys this is not helping the OP.

BTW Credit Allegery you don't need a library - I find this free program helpful when I encounter words that I don't understand or think don't exist. :)

WordWeb: Free English thesaurus dictionary download

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This does not constitute legal advice and is not represented as a substitute for legal advice from an appropriately qualified person or firm.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------