HSBC Overdraft Charges - returned DD

info_maniac
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5216 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

My current account with HSBC went into debit by £51 after two direct debits were 'taken' from my account this morning. It was ok after the first DD, but went into red after the second DD went out.

I realised this 'very late' - around 16:15 hrs today. I had funds in my savings account and promply transferred £1000 to my current account.

I called up HSBC then, they are saying that the direct debits which are showing as paid from my account MAY be reversed (or returned unpaid), if they are returned unpaid, then I will be charged £25 per DD.

But, the customer service rep said that it is upto the 'System' to decide now whether the DDs will be paid out or returned. If they are paid out - then no charge, if not then £25 charge.

Also, she said that I was a bit late in contacting them, if I could have contacted then by 15:30 today, they could have made sure that the DD goes out.

If they end up charging me, is there a way of reversing this charge?

Sorry I'm not going to hog this thread I just have a quick question from your reply to info-Maniac.

paypal made a couple of mistakes and took out money from my bank account rather than from the payapl account. The money didn't even go through as the bank stopped it dead and then immediately canceled the direct debits and payments. Technically I did not go overdrawn ( I've checked my statements and it has the direct debits but immediately on the same day that they were not paid so my account was still in credit, there is no - £50). They have charged me £60 in unpaid direct debit fees and £20 in unauthorized overdraft fees. Would your advice to IM cover this?

Thank you

Refer them to their own Fair Fees policy which states that no charges are incurred if your account is brought back within it's OD limit (or back in to credit if no OD limit) by the end of the day the transactions occurred.

Thanks for your response.

yes, I referred to their fair fee policy, and the fee they are going to charge me is not an overdraft fee, they plan to charge £25 for the returned/unpaid direct debit - which they say is fairly standard and there is no fair fee clause related to a returned/unpaid direct debit.

I checked my account just five minutes back and there is no mention of any returned/unpaid/reversed direct debit - which gives me a feeling that the DD has gone through.

But, I won't feel 'safe' until I receive my monthly statement.

Hi infomaniac ,welcome to the forum:)

At this early stage , as it appears to be a one-off, I would say it's worthwhile going to your bank, speak to someone with authority and ask them to sort it out and refund your charges . Branch Managers have authority to do this ,,, although they'll probably call it a 'goodwill payment'.. it's a refund where they deny blame , but will give you it back anyway ,,,,,,,, however, they will only do this on one occasion , so if you've had one before .. they probably won't do it again......

Give them the chance , and I'd say if they refuse ..... vote with your feet and make sure they know you're going....... :D

Be interested to know how you get on with this ......... it'll help others in the same position..

Come back and ask if you need further assistance .... someone will answer ..and we're user-friendly on here ...... :)

Edited by johnnymitch

Nemo me impune lacessit

Advice & opinions given by johnnymitch are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

If you think I've helped you please feel free to tickle my star :-D

Sorry shoegirl , :) I should have said ....... yes, it probably would help in your case too ..... worth a try I'd say....... :D

Nemo me impune lacessit

Advice & opinions given by johnnymitch are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

If you think I've helped you please feel free to tickle my star :-D