Family tax credits!

vialli69
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5218 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Looking for some advice please?I am currently claiming jsa, tax credit's housing benefit! I'm unemployed and have over 45k worth of unsecured debt,

During the year Sept 2006- June2008 I had a commission only job with a overseas property company, one month I would earn £20.00 the next month it could be £4000.00 then the following month they would tell me all my clients cancelled and I would owe them the £4000.00 from the previous month (I Never really new what I earned ) they also used to deduct any vehicle damage out of our wages

At the end of the financial year ending Apr 2008 my P60 read £35,750.00 I had huge reductions out of this amount for example in April 2008 I grossed £3250.00 but in may 2008 I was told they I had client cancellations of £5000.00 we also we had to pay back the gross amount after paying back the tax

The company I worked for where no the best at keeping financial records and where famous for ripping staff off they went into administration in June 2008

The reason I'm posting this question here is from April2007-April 2008 I was getting £100 per week working and family tax credits this was based on my previous years income of £7540.00

I didn't notify them of any changes to my income as there was no way in gauging it! and iwas still in the same job in fact the credits where my only consistent income.

The following year 2008-2009 we didn't bother claiming as we estimated my income for 2007-2008 to be around the £24,000 mark even though my p60 read £35700.00

I have just received a letter form HMRC asking for details of my income from April 2007-April 2008 as they have not received a declaration for that year!

So finally we get to my question.

If I'm asked to pay the money back this will surely bankrupt me and my family? I have two daughters aged 5 months and 4 years

I genuinely cant find my p60 but it did read £35750.00 I cant get a copy as the company I worked for went in to administration in June 2008.

So my question is what shall I do?

Shall I just tell them what my p60 read and let the cards fall where they may? (This will certainly bankrupt me)

What can can I do? My family and I our battling on all fronts just trying to keep food on the table and fighting of all the Dca's

Shall I not respond and let them come to there own conclusions? They say in there letter if they haven't received anything by 09/02/2010 they will make there own mind up

I don't want get out of paying anything I may owe but I am really stuck!

Any opinions welcome

Edited by vialli69

give them a ring and tell them the truth, sounds like you may be missing out on your child tax credit. if you have an overpaymen you will be able to pay it back over a period time, you may be able to dispute it. Don't run from them or ignore them they won't go away. What are you doing about your other debts? look on the site and you will be able to get advice on dealing with dcas. get advice, get a plan and stick to it, good luck.

If you let it lie and they make a decision without your input, you can almost guarantee that the decision will not be in your favour. They are asking for this information for a reason - they need it to make their final calculations.

Tell them the amount - they don't always ask for verification of it. They have never asked for verification of my income for the purpose of the annual renewal. If they do ask for verification, explain the situation to them. That way you have done all that you can.

My advice is based on my opinion, my experience and my education. I do not profess to be an expert in any given field. If requested, I will provide a link where possible to relevant legislation or guidance, so that advice provided can be confirmed and I do encourage others to follow those links for their own peace of mind. Sometimes my advice is not what people necesserily want to hear, but I will advise on facts as I know them - although it may not be what a person wants to hear it helps to know where you stand. Advice on the internet should never be a substitute for advice from your own legal professional with full knowledge of your individual case.

Please do not seek, offer or produce advice on a consumer issue via private message; it is against

forum rules to advise via private message, therefore pm's requesting private advice will not receive a response.

(exceptions for prior authorisation)

Thanks Everyone for your feedback.

I have managed to find a payslip from Febuary 2008 it reads Earnings for national insurance to date is £20045.00 this is the amount i thought i was paid that year not the £35000.00

As my salary didnt increase by £25000.00 i think i may be ok?

Any thoughts?