Can I make a claim against BT for unlawful rescission?

GhostDebt
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5182 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Brief intro.

This is initially just a query to see if anybody thinks this is possible.

We were paying BT £xx per month by direct debit as a monthly payment plan.

We then changed our package with BT and when the next monthly payment was due it bounced as they had changed the payment to £yy and there was not sufficient in the account to cover it. (There was sufficient to cover £xx though). I spoke to BT and they agreed to refund us the bank charges we had incurred because they had breached the direct debit guarantee. So all seemed ok.

However, BT sent us a DN asking for the payment of the arrears being £yy. Now the DN is served under section 87(1) CCA 1974 but only gives 9 days from date of DN to date to remedy by. Therefore is a dodgy DN.

We have now received a letter saying the monthly payment plan has been cancelled and to pay the whole bill within 7 days or there may be restrictions to services.

The question is. Is this unlawful rescission as is the normal case for termination after a dodgy DN and can I issue a claim against them for damages, ref - Kpohraror v Woolwich Building Society ??

Any comments appreciated.

Many thanks

-

PLEASE NOTE - I am not a legal expert, my comments are based on information learnt or

obtained and from my own experiences.

-

Case 1 - C L Finance - Court Case 'Stayed' :-). Stay Lifted - N149 AQ Received & Filed. Case Struck Out :grin:

-

Case 2 - C L Finance - Defence Filed. N150 AQ Received & Filed. Case 'Settled by Consent' :)

-

Case 3 - EOS Solutions - No Agreement - Account Closed ~£3500. :grin:

-

Advice & opinions offered freely but informally, without prejudice & without liability.

Use your own judgment and seek advice from a qualified and insured professional if you have any doubts.

Any thoughts on the above?

-

PLEASE NOTE - I am not a legal expert, my comments are based on information learnt or

-

Case 1 - C L Finance - Court Case 'Stayed' :-). Stay Lifted - N149 AQ Received & Filed. Case Struck Out :grin:

-

Case 2 - C L Finance - Defence Filed. N150 AQ Received & Filed. Case 'Settled by Consent' :)

-

-

Advice & opinions offered freely but informally, without prejudice & without liability.

Use your own judgment and seek advice from a qualified and insured professional if you have any doubts.

Hi GD, well if the DN only gives you 9 days to remedy then it isnt correct.

I think you would do best to contact diddydicky or vint1954 who have a better understanding of recission of contract than I do.

HTH:)

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

Thanks for the prompt reply CitizenB.

Will give them a nudge.

Regards

-

-

-

-

-

if it is regulated by the CCA then clearly it is an unlawful rescission

However, if you NEED not to burn all your bridges with BT (and i suggest never say never with phonelines etc) then i would "qualify" my acceptance of their unlawful rescission with an olive branch to come to some sort of resolution

how much is involved?

Well the DN said it was issued in accordance with the CCA so therefore if its not correct the agreement has been rescinded unlawfully?

Its not a lot involved to be honest, I'm just seeing what leverage I have if they start to restrict any of our services.

They still haven't refunded the bank charges caused by their breach of the DD guarantee which they said they would.

So, just getting a feel for the situation to be honest.

-

-

-

-

-

• 5 weeks later...

Just a quick update.

BT have now agreed to refund the bank charges, but they did suspend broadband services.

Will post up the docs about this because I'm still wondering about the unlawful rescission aspect and whether I have a chance of claiming anything.

Regards

-

-

-

-

-