council tax refund for overpaying?

wakeywakey
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5213 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi wakey. I can only give you my general thoughts. I presume you're referring to the 25% single occupiers discount? I think this is something he can claim but would not be automatically offered as the council wouldn't know he was now on his own.

Unless anyone comes up with something better, I'd suggest he contacts the council to notify them. He may be eligible for a little discount on the current bill - I don't know for certain - but would get it from the next bill onwards. I don't think he'd be able to claim retrospectively but the council would give clear and honest advice on this.

Rae.

found this if he is over 60

Backdating claims

You must make a written request for backdating and you can do this by writing a letter to us or by completing a form to request backdating. This form is available from Online Forms - Backdated Benefit Claim form.. Alternatively, contact this office either in person or by telephone to request the form.

You can send your request for backdating with your application form when you apply for benefit or if you have received a benefit decision notice from this office, you can request for the claim to be backdated to an earlier date but in this case, you must make your request to be received at this office within one calendar month of the date on your decision notice.

Backdating claims for people aged 60 or over

The Housing/Council Tax Benefit regulations have been amended to maintain consistency with the rules for claiming Pension Credit. Where a single person or one member of a couple is aged 60 or over, entitlement to Housing/Council Tax Benefit can be considered from 3 months prior to the actual date of claim. This is an automatic backdating rule and applies without a request for the claim to be backdated. However, the first day of entitlement to Housing/Council Tax Benefit will depend on the following:

• The date from which the conditions of entitlement to Housing/Council Tax Benefit are satisfied (if there is entitlement) and
  • The date the person, or their partner, became aged 60 years and
  • The date liability for rent and/or council tax commenced

I am presuming this refers to the single occupancy as well but sure someone will correct me if not

I thinks its three months if under sixty but there are special circumstances that may considered to backdate it further,

As Rae has said he needs to contact his LA a.s.a.p