• Tweets

• The Notice to Hirer does not comply with the protection of Freedoms Act 2012 Schedule  4 . This is before I ask if Europarks have sent you a copy of the PCN they sent to Arval along with a copy of the hire agreement et. if they haven't done that either you are totally in the clear and have nothing to worry about and nothing to pay. The PCN they have sent you is supposed to be paid by you according to the Act within 21 days. The chucklebuts have stated 28 days which is the time that motorists have to pay. Such a basic and simple thing . The Act came out in 2012 and still they cannot get it right which is very good news for you. Sadly there is no point in telling them- they won't accept it because they lose their chance to make any money out of you. they are hoping that by writing to you demanding money plus sending in their  unregulated debt collectors and sixth rate solicitors that you might be so frightened as to pay them money so that you can sleep at night. Don't be surprised if some of their letters are done in coloured crayons-that's the sort of  level of people you will be dealing with. Makes great bedding for the rabbits though. Euro tend not to be that litigious but while you can safely ignore the debt collectors just keep an eye out for a possible Letter of Claim. They are pretty rare but musn't be ignored. Let us know so that you can send a suitably snotty letter to them showing that you are not afraid of them and are happy to go to Court as you like winning.  
    • They did reply to my defence stating it would fail and enclosed copies of NOA, DN Term letter and account statements. All copies of T&C's that could be reconstructions and the IP address on there resolves to the town where MBNA offices are, not my location
    • Here are 7 of our top tips to help you connect with young people who have left school or otherwise disengaged.View the full article
    • My defence was standard no paperwork:   1.The Defendant contends that the particulars of claim are generic in nature. The Defendant accordingly sets out its case below and relies on CPR r 16.5 (3) in relation to any particular allegation to which a specific response has not been made. 2. Paragraph 1 is noted. The Defendant has had a contractual relationship with MBNA Limited in the past. The Defendant does not recognise the reference number provided by the claimant within its particulars and has sought verification from the claimant who is yet to comply with requests for further information. 3. Paragraph 2 is denied. The Defendant maintains that a default notice was never received. The Claimant is put to strict proof to that a default notice was issued by MBNA Limited and received by the Defendant. 4. Paragraph 3 is denied. The Defendant is unaware of any legal assignment or Notice of Assignment allegedly served from either the Claimant or MBNA Limited. 5. On the 02/01/2023 the Defendant requested information pertaining to this claim by way of a CCA 1974 Section 78 request. The claimant is yet to respond to this request. On the 19/05/2023 a CPR 31.14 request was sent to Kearns who is yet to respond. To date, 02/06/2023, no documentation has been received. The claimant remains in default of my section 78 request. 6. It is therefore denied with regards to the Defendant owing any monies to the Claimant, the Claimant has failed to provide any evidence of proof of assignment being sent/ agreement/ balance/ breach or termination requested by CPR 31.14, therefore the Claimant is put to strict proof to: (a) show how the Defendant entered into an agreement; and (b) show and evidence the nature of breach and service of a default notice pursuant to Section 87(1) CCA1974 (c) show how the claimant has reached the amount claimed for; and (d) show how the Claimant has the legal right, either under statute or equity to issue a claim; 7. As per Civil Procedure Rule 16.5(4), it is expected that the Claimant prove the allegation that the money is owed. 8. On the alternative, as the Claimant is an assignee of a debt, it is denied that the Claimant has the right to lay a claim due to contraventions of Section 136 of the Law of Property Act and Section 82A of the consumer credit Act 1974. 9. By reasons of the facts and matters set out above, it is denied that the Claimant is entitled to the relief claimed or any relief.
    • Monika the first four pages of the Private parking section have at least 12 of our members who have also been caught out on this scam site. That's around one quarter of all our current complaints. Usually we might expect two current complaints for the same park within 4 pages.  So you are in good company and have done well in appealing to McDonalds in an effort to resolve the matter without having  paid such a bunch of rogues. Most people blindly pay up. Met . Starbucks and McDonalds  are well aware of the situation and seem unwilling to make it easier for motorists to avoid getting caught. For instance, instead of photographing you, if they were honest and wanted you  to continue using their services again, they would have said "Excuse me but if you are going to go to Mc donalds from here, it will cost you £100." But no they kett quiet and are now pursuing you for probably a lot more than £100 now. They also know thst  they cannot charge anything over the amount stated on the car park signs. Their claims for £160 or £170 are unlawful yet so many pay that to avoid going to Court. When the truth is that Met are unlikely to take them to Court since they know they will lose. The PCNs are issued on airport land which is covered by Byelaws so only the driver can be pursued, not the keeper. But they keep writing to you as they do not know who was driving unless you gave it away when you appealed. Even if they know you were driving they should still lose in Court for several reasons. The reason we ask you to fill out our questionnaire is to help you if MET do decide to take you to Court in the end. Each member who visited the park may well have different experiences while there which can help when filling out a Witness statement [we will help you with that if it comes to it.] if you have thrown away the original PCN  and other paperwork you obviously haven't got a jerbil or a guinea pig as their paper makes great litter boxes for them.🙂 You can send an SAR to them to get all the information Met have on you to date. Though if you have been to several sites already, you may have done that by now. In the meantime, you will be being bombarded by illiterate debt collectors and sixth rate solicitors all threatening you with ever increasing amounts as well as being hung drawn and quartered. Their letters can all be safely ignored. On the odd chance that you may get a Letter of Claim from them just come back to us and we will get you to send a snotty letter back to them so that they know you are not happy, don't care a fig for their threats and will see them off in Court if they finally have the guts to carry on. If you do have the original PCN could you please post it up, carefully removing your name. address and car registration number but including dates and times. If not just click on the SAR to take you to the form to send to Met.
  • Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

Egg and their Trevor Munn muppets

stevehatesbankers
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5158 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I asked a CMC to have a look at my Egg agreement regarding enforceability. They use a traffic light system for their audits ie green is enforceable, red is unenforceable and amber is marginal in that there are breaches but not prescribed breaches. They have decided that they dont think its a strong enough case to take Egg on. The copy of my agreement is poor and has the approved limit and has no mention of the credit limit. The agreement is from 2004. These thieves increased my rates to over 20% which I was unable to pay. Any thoughts and help please

Guest Old_andrew2018

Have you considered up-loading the agreement, after removing any personally identifiable information I am sure someone will advise

• 4 weeks later...

I had an agreement with Egg started in 2004. They advised me last year that they had terminated the agreement. Moorcroft harrassed me then Arc. I CCA'd them and had a CMC check it out. Originally they said the agreement had breaches but not prescribed breaches and wouldnt be pursuing my claim. (Agreement has Approved limit rather than Agreed Credit Limit of) I was thinking of passing it to one of the bigger CMC's as I am convinced its unenforceable. Days before Christmas (Arc) sent me an offer (25% reduction) to settle within a week. Naturally it was totally unaffordable. Trevor Munn has now sent me a threatening letter stating court papers are being prepared etc, etc. I would appreciate any help. I will also post up a copy of the agreement but need to know how to do it. Thanks in anticipation

I dont know that i would worry too much about Trevor. The next letter you will get in about seven days will appear to take it a bit closer to court but without actually going to court. I suspect the one you got said something like "we are about to start preparing court papers". The next one will say "we are preparing court papers". I suspect he must have taken someone to court at ARC's instigation at some point, but I am at least as sure that the threat is made a great deal more often than it is carried out. Some here suspect that Trevor's main function is to mainly the provision of headed notepaper intended to frighten more than anything else.

I would have a look around here for some of the letters of the that have been sent to Egg in the last few weeks/months, alleging fault in their agreements. Make a note of aspects that might apply to you, and use the relevant parts to put together a letter of your own. Sort of smorgesbord approach - you know Scandinavian cold buffet - eat (or take) what you want. Fire that off to Egg with a copy to ARC. There is a decent likelihood that the next you will hear from ARC is that they are reverting to their client for further instruction.

phishing trip ignore it

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

use photobucket

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

usual stuff from Egg - main defect is use of Approved limit, though if you dig around you will find others referred to by others. The approved limit problem is the subject of a court case at Cardiff right now for which judgement should come down some time March.

There are a good many letters that cover this ground with Egg. For what its worth, this is what I sent to them. If you want to adapt it, please feel free

Egg

Riverside Road

Pride Park

Derby

DE99 3GG

Dear Sir/Madam

Without prejudice

Account (your account number)

I refer to your letter of 7th September in which you intimate that in spite of eight weeks of your investigation you have been unable to reach a decision. I have to say I am very concerned about this as I think I have made my position quite clear in my letters to you, DLC and most recently ARC, which is that the copy agreement that Egg have supplied does not comply with s61(1) of the CCA 1974 and the associated regulations for the following reasons:

· The Consumer Credit (Agreements) Regulations 1983 (Schedule 1) require that this agreement should have been given the heading “Credit Card Agreement”. In fact the agreement supplied to me by Egg has been headed “Egg Card Agreement for (your name Steve) “.

· Additionally, no “Credit Limit” has been stated – which is a prescribed term set out in the Consumer Credit (Agreements) Regulations 1983, as required by section 61(1) of the Consumer Credit Act 1974. In paragraph 3 of the document you have sent me, the phrase used there - “Approved Limit” - is not sufficient to advise me what the credit limit is or how it will be decided, and therefore a prescribed term is not correctly stated. On this point, please see Central Trust Plc V Spurway [2005] CCLR,where HHJ Overend states

24.” In my judgment, the passages of Lord Nicholls’ speech cited by Mr Say persuade me that:

(a)The amount of credit must mean credit in its technical sense, and

(b)That although the use of the word “credit” is not prescribed, there should not be any confusion in the mind of the lay reader as to what the amount of credit is”

As the agreement has been improperly executed, it is only enforceable by an order of the court, by virtue of section 65. However, since it does not explicitly state the term “credit limit” (rather, it mentions only an "Approved Limit”), as required by Schedule 6 of the Consumer Credit (Agreements) Regulations 1983, the court would be prevented from granting such an order by virtue of section 127(3).

· Paragraph 22 of Schedule 1 Consumer Credit Agreement Regulations requires that the agreement details the default charges payable. The document that you have sent to me fails to provide this information, and is therefore deficient in terms of these regulations, making the agreement further improperly executed.

As the agreement you have sent has been improperly executed in each of the above three respects, it is only enforceable by an order of the court, by virtue of section 65. However, since it does not explicitly state the term “credit limit” (rather, it mentions only an "Approved Limit” as set out in my point 2), as required by Schedule 6 of the Consumer Credit (Agreements) Regulations 1983, the court is explicitly prevented from granting such an order by virtue of section 127(3).

I look forward to hearing from you.

Sorry to butt in, but I sent ARC (ARSE) and Trevor Munn (Mug) this and they pased my mates account straight back to Egg, Who inturn ignored all the other issues that had been raised and harped on about Approved Limit.

You will need to change to suit your own needs. Hope it helps

Thank you for your letter dated 27th November 09. I am somewhat bemused as to why you have prepared a County Court Claim against me?

As I have pointed out in my previous letters this account is totally unenforceable and can only be deemed enforceable in a court of law, but just so there isn’t any doubt whatsoever I would like to draw your attention to the following:

Firstly, the word Approved Limit is used, case law is that the word 3.Limit which is set out in the margin and the word Approved limitis not sufficient to advise you what the credit limit is or how it will be decided. Therefore a prescribed term is not correctly stated.

The case I refer to is Central Trust Plc V Spurway [2005] CCLR, where HHJ Overend states:

In my judgment, the passages of Lord Nicholls’ speech cited by Mr Say persuade me that:

(a) The amount of credit must mean credit in its technical sense, and

(b) That although the use of the word “credit” is not prescribed, there should not be any confusion in the mind of the lay reader as to what the amount of credit is.

Following HHJ Overend’s view, the agreement should make clear to the consumer, who is likely to be a lay man, what the credit limit is or how it will be determined. It is not possible to say with any certainty that the documents EGG have provided are clear, unambiguous or that a consumer would understand that the approved limit would be their credit limit.

An agreement cannot be enforced unless there is a term stating the credit limit, the term must be easily recognisable to the layperson as being a term setting out the credit limit (Egg agreements do not clearly set out a term stating the credit limit as required by schedule 6 col 2 para 3 SI1983/1553)

Secondly, the agreement fails to state the rate of interest for cash withdrawals.

The agreement only states an APR which is not sufficient for cash purchases as cash purchases includes a 1.25% handling fee which is included in the APR so it cannot be an accurate reflection of the rate of interest. Again a prescribed term is missing.

You will try to tell me that the missing information is set out within Egg’s terms and conditions, IT CANNOT BE. The reasons for this is that Regulation 2 (4) Consumer Credit Agreement Regulations 1983 (SI1983/1553) requires that the statutory information set out within Para 3-19 of schedule 1 and 2 SI1983/1553 should be shown as a whole and not interspersed with other information if the agreement is to be properly executed and compliant with section 61 CCA 1974.

I would also bring your attention to; Paragraph 22 of Schedule 1 Consumer Credit Agreement Regulations requires that the agreement details the default charges payable and Egg Agreements DO NOT

Finally,there is nothing regarding the 14 day cooling off period and the actual agreement says nothing about agreeing to the processing of my data through credit reference agencies.

I would also like to draw your attention the following which initially brought this account into dispute.

Condition 12 is not contained within the signed copy means it may not be part of the signed agreement. Notwithstanding this upon looking at condition 12 in the attached sheets this condition is headed ‘Changes’.

12 Changes – ‘we can change this Agreement to make it fairer to you or more easily understandable, or to correct a mistake (provided that this correction would not adversely affect you), or to cover a development in, or the introduction of, new services and new ways in which you can use the card or to reflect a change in the law or any code of practice (or the way in which they are applied). We may also at any time add a card fee and vary the charges and interest rates for the following reasons:

- to reflect a change in the law or any code of practice (or the way in which they are applied)

- to reflect a change in technology, to cover an improvement or change in our services or in the facilities that we provide;

-to ensure the good management or competitiveness of our business

-or for any other valid reason.’

12.1 refers to not altering the agreement to make it unfair. You then state the grounds which would give rise to changes in the interest rate. These grounds are to reflect a change in the law or any code of practice etc. etc. or for any other valid reason. You do not define ‘valid’ - taken in the context of your claim not to unfairly prejudice the customer in 12.1 it could be assumed interest rates will be altered and will follow decreases in the base rate.

12.2.1 refers to advantageous interest rates 12.2.2 refers to disadvantageous rates and provides that if all money is repaid and the account closed then the disadvantageous rate will not apply. This seems a peculiarly odd condition as how can any rate of interest apply if the sum is repaid?

However the ethos or basis of raising or lowering interest rates is contained in 12.1 and the reasons you give to vary interest would be if there is a change in market conditions or banking practice or changes in technology which improves the efficiency of the business, to ensure good management or competitiveness of the business or reflect changes in law or codes of practice. Ignoring any ‘other valid reason’ (as it is meaningless) the specific grounds for altering interest rates appear to be in improving competitiveness or reflect a change in market conditions etc thus the general implication is that they would be reduced wherever the opportunity arose in competing with others, in improving efficiency, and any legal or code of practice.

'Legal or banking’, ‘legal or code of practice’ implies that bank base rates are covered by this - interest thus following base rates – almost all downwards since 02.

Furthermore the reasons and grounds for altering interest rates seem to imply they will be under review wherever possible to the customers advantage e.g. if any efficiencies and competitiveness can bring such change about. The grounds do not state whether they will rise or fall and how, if, and when, only that they could vary. As you state you ‘will not alter the agreement to make it unfair’ it follows that your interest rates will follow bank base rates.

Thus from condition 12 that you have raised interest rates contrary to your own conditions and the principles of natural justice.

The inference I draw from this is that rates will generally be kept under review to ensure a competitive and efficient edge thus in an era of hugely declining interest rates being reduced if anything.

Therefore given the grounds for varying interest rates this rate should by condition 12 be lowered not raised to 26.9% and increase of 7% in the current economic climate. However your current and past interest rates have risen and thus contrary to any legal or code of practice.

The attempted right to unilaterally impose interest rate increases is contrary to natural justice. Audi alteram partem = let the other side be heard’ – nemo iudex in causa sua = no man is permitted to be judge in his own cause. The right to advance warning and procedural fairness.

These ancient legal principles still permeate the legal reasoning and jurisprudence today and recent examples of them at work include many reforms enacted to codify these principles hence the CCA 1974 and many other Acts.

That they still pertain in civil law is a safety net in the event of unscrupulous actions on the self interested part of others.

Taking all the above factors in consideration I would ask that you stop all collection activity for this account, and should reduce the balance to £0 to stop the balance from being passed to any further companies. As an agreement not containing the prescribed terms is only enforceable by a court, any further collection activity will be viewed as unlawful and may lead to legal action against Egg.

Also, I am asking you to remove all defaults issued on this account by you or your client which have been registered with ANY credit reference agency as is required by the Data Protection Act 1984, since these are obviously incorrect as no enforceable agreement exists between myself and Egg. Failure to remove these default notices will be seen as Egg being in breach of the Data Protection Act 1984, and will be reported to the relevant authorities.

I will give you 14 days to respond to this letter to confirm your intentions in regards to collection activity stopping and also the correction of incorrect data held about me. If I should not hear from you within the 14 day time period then I will advise my solicitor to begin legal proceedings against Egg. As well as making my complaint known to the Information Commissioners Office, the Financial Services Authority and any other parties as I see fit.

Scrapper Coco :cool:

Edited by Scrapper

"I just want to make people silky-smooth!"

Scrapper vs MBNA Partial Settlement Success. Saved £13,000 :lol:

Scrapper vs Barclays Bank Plc PPI Reclaim Success £5,500 :lol:

Scrapper vs Barclaycard Partial Settlement Success. Saved £6,000 :lol:

Scrapper vs Tesco's FOS upheld complaint. Possible court action to get default removed

Scrapper vs Egg (Barclaycard) Awaiting FOS

Scrapper vs Barclays Bank Plc Offered made & Refused. This means war :-x

Scrapper vs Barclaycard (Cabot) Waiting 4 years for CCA. Cabot advised irresolvable :lol:

Scrapper vs Intelligent Finance. Success

Scrapper vs Picture (Webb Resolutions) Success

Beginner's guide

Advice & opinions given by Scrapper are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability.

Did they actually produce a court claim, or just threaten this (in my experience there are two stages of this - "we will prepare", and "we are preparing"? What happens next I really dont know)

What you do set out about what happened between you and ARC and Trevor is pretty much exactly what happened to me. I went through (in rather less detail than your very impressive missive) much the same sort of argument (twice once in response to "we will..." and once in response to "we are ..."), and got a letter back from ARC saying they were reverting to their client for further instructions. That was in August last year and I havent heard from them since. My suspicion is that they are waiting for the decision in PT2537's case at Cardiff to see how that goes. Life could get a bit more difficult whichever way that goes - for them for us, or for us for them.

At the moment, anyone getting letters from Egg are being told that "it is a well accepted point of law that approved limit can be used instead of credit limit". The standard advice is to ask what their legal authority for this might be.

• 1 month later...

For what its worth, I wrote to them middle November and got a reply last week (had to look back through my own letters for this - I had forgotten). So on the basis that mine is typical, and you wrote to them in January Steve, it could well be May before you get anything from them :)

Nothing new really.

1. They still maintain that approved limit is ok - i think they always will.
  2. perhaps more interesting is that they refer to Carey and the argument there (para 178) that is the sig page and T&Cs are presetned as a package then that constitutes an agreement. However they are being a wee bit economical with the truth here. First of all 178 is where Waksman deals with the Carey case only - and thus those particular issues/ facts are what determines his view in this case. Its not a general statement that he is making here. Moreover, this judgement was a prelimnary judgement based on "assumed" facts (can someone tell me what an "assumed" fact is?) and is still to go to full trial, so its hardly complete. More interesting is para 173 (agreed by all sides in the case) which says "(5) Accordingly, where the debtor's signature and the Prescribed Terms appear on separate pieces of paper, the questions of whether those pieces of paper together constitute one document is a question of substance and not form. (the emphasis is my own, but if I interpret this right then what is being said here isnt much more than "it depends"). So the certainty that Egg have placed on this does seem to me to be somewhat misconceived.
  3. they have concluded their letter by advising me that i hae 6 months from the date of this letter to refer my "complaint" to the FOS - which as I would be (I know its not a court of law, but in effect) the pursuer puts the onus on to me - seems rather like a "go on punk, make my day!" sort of encouragement (btw, in passing, someone told me the other day that Clint Eastwood never actually said that in any of the Dirty Harry movies). Not sure exactly what they are getting at here, beyond why dont you go to the FOS. Is this a sort of subliminal confession that they arent going to take it to court and if I want them to stop sending me silly letters, or putting it out to DCAs (DLC and ARC so far) then I will need to get FOS to tell them to stop it (much chance of that!)

So, as I said, nothing really new. See what happens next