Advice regarding faulty Mobile Phone

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4174 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Currently got a Sony Erricsson Xperia X1 phone which has been repaired twice in just under 12 month under warranty

The phone was purchased from Phones4u on a Vodafone contract

Sony Erricsson repaired the phone under manufacturer's warranty on the previous occassions!

Since I received the phone, it worked flawlessly for 3 weeks, then the previous fault of randomly turning itself off 10-20 times a day has returned

Looking at some of the forums, it seems to be an inherent fault in this handset and I'm not the only one experiencing this problem

What are my options?

Am I entitled to get another phone under contract?

Or am I only entitled to a new replacement?

Or a repair only?

Or am I screwed as the phone is now out of it's 1 years manufacturer's warranty?

Secondly, who has the ultimate responsibility regarding the phone?

Phones4u - who I purchased the phone/contract with?

Vodafone - The Service Provider?

Sony Ericsson - The Mobile Phone Manufacturer?

Thanks in advance!

(1) No. You handset has nothing to do with your contract, this covers the SIM only.

(2) Entitled to a repair or replacement at the discretion of the dealer.

(3) You have the ultimate responsibility for your property. There can be issues but if fixed in firmware, then you are expected to have the handset upgraded and the problems shoud disappear. Many of the complaints on your model are related to usage issues more than inherent fault - so a 'not fit for purpose' accusation wouldn't fly.

(1) No. You handset has nothing to do with your contract, this covers the SIM only.

(2) Entitled to a repair or replacement at the discretion of the dealer.

(3) You have the ultimate responsibility for your property. There can be issues but if fixed in firmware, then you are expected to have the handset upgraded and the problems shoud disappear. Many of the complaints on your model are related to usage issues more than inherent fault - so a 'not fit for purpose' accusation wouldn't fly.

Fair pidgeons on point 1

On point 2, at what point (when a product/service is'nt fit for purpose) in my case, the phone having been repaired under warranty twice for the same re-curring fault (and the same fault re-occurring weeks after the last repair), can you argue for a replacement or compensation?

Point 3 - I deliberately left the phone in it's default state, with the latest firmware that SE left on the phone, to ascertain if it was an usage issue.

Three weeks later, the phone is constantly freezing - surely that's not fit for purpose?

(1) Fit for purpose is an emotive term, and pretty bogus, IMO. Two identical phones (with potentially the same problems) could work fine for one person but not another. This would point to it being a bum choice by the consumer, than a problem with the handset.

Phones that freeze, can be caused by network issues or software downloaded by the user. This weakens any FFP claim as the poroblem was caused by the additional software not checked or approved by the handset manufactureer or network.

As to point 2 - If after 2 unsuccessful repairs have been undertaken, a retailer will often arrange for a phone swap, either new or refurbed as new depending on the model. I believe CW actually state this as policy, but under SOGA after two failed attempts it becaomes difficult for a supplioer to maintain the issue is the consumer's fault.

Point 3 - What OS is being used? I'm not aware of what 'default' firmware is, as networks insist on modifying this with tgheir own bloatware and customisation, but lock-ups can be caused by the network interface too - the trick is to find out which!

(1) Fit for purpose is an emotive term, and pretty bogus, IMO. Two identical phones (with potentially the same problems) could work fine for one person but not another. This would point to it being a bum choice by the consumer, than a problem with the handset.

Phones that freeze, can be caused by network issues or software downloaded by the user. This weakens any FFP claim as the poroblem was caused by the additional software not checked or approved by the handset manufactureer or network.

As to point 2 - If after 2 unsuccessful repairs have been undertaken, a retailer will often arrange for a phone swap, either new or refurbed as new depending on the model. I believe CW actually state this as policy, but under SOGA after two failed attempts it becaomes difficult for a supplioer to maintain the issue is the consumer's fault.

Point 3 - What OS is being used? I'm not aware of what 'default' firmware is, as networks insist on modifying this with tgheir own bloatware and customisation, but lock-ups can be caused by the network interface too - the trick is to find out which!

The O/S in Win Mobile 6.1 and I'm running the latest official SE firmware

Well, I've been usnig 6.1 since launch and had no issues. What do you have runninhg when it stops ?

Seems to be that when I lock the phone, it's more prone to turning off :rolleyes:

:)

Not related - BUT assuming you done the usual (clean and ensure the phone and battery spring contacts are functional). Gently flex the phone to ensure it is not this movement that is causing the power to be interrupted and the phone re-set to the off position.