Vodafone mobile broadband bill £1500

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4162 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi all,

I'm hoping someone can help with this problem I have as its quite upsetting.

In October 2008, I purchased a 18 month Vodafone mobile broadband package giving me 3Gb per month for £15. This was so I could use my laptop whist commuting by train to London.

In January 2009, I lost my job in London but couldn't get out of the contract and just resigned myself to losing £15 per month. In November 2009, I lent my broadband dongle to my brother-in-law, and he paid me the £15 per month. I had fogotten about the 3Gb limit, and mistakenly told him it was unlimited usage.

Well, he used it to download numerous movies and music. Late November, I reviewed my contract and immediately rang Vodafone when I realised there was in fact a 3Gb limit. They told me there were charges racked up for had a estimated bill for £1520!! I was told that I couldn't negotiate the amount until I received the bill in January, which I have now received.

This morning, I called up Vodafone customer services to try to negotiate the bill down. In my opinion, the bill is unfair as Vodafone were aware of how much had been used but made no effort to contact me even though there was obviously a problem (the bill had never previously exceeded £15).

The contract T&Cs state that "Where there has been a significant increase in your call usage pattern, we may require a deposit to allow continued service".

The rather rude operator told me they could have informed me, but were under no obligation to do so.

They offered to reduce the bill to £1000 if I paid immediately, which I can't afford. Alternatively, they offered 8 monthly payments of £190 which I also cannot afford, as I am not working at the moment. I offered £20 a month which is all I can really afford, but they have refused this.

Can anyone tell me if I have any rights in this matter, or advice on how I should proceed? Should I set up a standing order to them of £20 a month, as a gesture of goodwill?

Thanks a lot for your help, really appreciate it!

Other posters may be able to offer some ray of light, but my thoughts on this are:

1. You don't have any "rights" as such. You owe the money, period, because you (as far as Vodafone are concerned, the fact you gave it to your brother has no relevance to them) used the data.

2. Most people probably don't have a thousand pounds just kicking around in their available cash flow, so it is probably pointless for Vodafone to demand payment in one go. You'd think that some protection mechanism might have kicked in, yes, because to a degree it also protects Vodafone. The fact that it didn't is, however, your problem, not Vodafone's.

Unless Vodafone have some contractual responsibility to cap the usage, which I suspect they do not, I imagine you'll have to pay.

They have already offered a reduction of 30% - which is a good offer - my thoughts are that you would be best to try to borrow the money and pay them now to take advantage of that.

Hi itzmike,

In addition to the advice offered by Mark_Blackpool and shining_Light I'd like to offer the assistance of the Web Relations Team in making sure this gets resolved amicably for you.

To get in touch with us just send us an email following the instructions set out in our pinned thread: Vodafone Webteam-for Customers With Problems

Many thanks,

Lee

Web Relations Team

Vodafone UK

Thanks for the advice Mark, I suspected as much. Hopefully I can come to some reasonable agreement with Vodafone involving affordable repayments.

@shining_light: Unfortunately my brother in law isn't working at the moment either (we sound like a family of layabouts, but we aren't!), so I don't expect him to be able to contribute much.

@Lee_Vodafone: Thx Lee - I've now contacted the vodafone web team as per the linked instructions.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi itzmike,

As I don't recall coming across your email I'm concerned that it hasn't reached us.

Could you let me know if you still need any help with this and if so send me a PM with the email address from which you contacted us from and I'll try to trace your account and come back to you.

Thanks,

Lee

Web Relations Team

Vodafone UK

If you told your brother it was unlimited and he used it as such then you cant really ask him to pay anything for it. If you told him there was a 3gb limit and he abused it then it is his problem to sort out.

Harsh as it seems, and bloody expensive you ran allowed the bill to get to this high amount, so you gotta suck it up and pay it.