Is this constructive dismissal?

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4978 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

My employer is making some changes to our team. These are supposedly cost savings but actually will cost the organisation more due to salaries.

There are 5 members of the team at level 4 with management responsibilities as well as managing a territory of work.

They are proposing to demote those 5 people to level 3 (but protect their salary for 4 years) and just leave them with looking after their territory then promote (through and application process) 2 of those 5 to level 5 roles with a higher salary!

The demotion, loss of management responsibilities, and despite the salary being protected means those members of staff demoted will no longer be a part of the incremental salary reward scheme... does this amount to possible constructive dismissal?

The organisation will be giving those members of staff revised contracts which they will then ask them to sign - what happens if they refuse to agree to those fundamental change in terms?

Do you have a website? Add the following code to add a link to The Consumer Action Group:

<a href="http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk"><b><font color="#FF0000" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif">The Consumer Action Group</font></b></a> - <font color="#FF9900" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif">Reclaim your rights as a consumer and reclaim your unfair bank charges! Free site with letter templates and helpful forum.</font>

bump

Do you have a website? Add the following code to add a link to The Consumer Action Group:

<a href="http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk"><b><font color="#FF0000" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif">The Consumer Action Group</font></b></a> - <font color="#FF9900" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif">Reclaim your rights as a consumer and reclaim your unfair bank charges! Free site with letter templates and helpful forum.</font>

Basically No

they are being made redundant of their current position in which they will be paid (or should be paid) their redundancy package as well any other entitlements as stated in their contract including but not limited to accured holiday's and therefore upon redundacy their employment is effectively terminated.

Once they start their new employment in the new roles then they are only entitled to the same contractual bonuses as those that are already in the same role. To have different/extra bonuses, in which you gained from, then those that are already in those roles prior to them would be unfair and to those that are in the same role of employment doing the exact same job. The compensatory pay for 4 years where their salary is gauranteed is simply just that, compensation for loss of income as a result of the reemployment, and is discretional as to how long the company chooses to gaurantee. If anything, if the company was to give them the extra bonuses then it be those that werent getting those bonuses that would have grounds in which to complain not those that have been given new employment in that role.

When you say they have been given revised contracts its important to note that when made redundant their original contract is terminated. If offered a new position in the company then the contract offered is a new contract and not that of a revised one. Basically its the same as leaving one place of employment and starting a new at a different place of employment.

The company has no choice but to follow redundancy procedures here, they can not simply demote them and offer a revised contract if they did or are doing that, then yes you would have grounds for constructive dismissal but only if that is actually the case. But going by what you have said in your post, it would seem the company is following the redundancy procedure.

hope that helps to clarify things and please, if it is that they are not following the redundancy procedures let us know and we can advise accordingly.

Edited by teaboy2
spelling

Please note that this advice is given informally, without liability and without prejudice. Always seek the advice of an insured qualified professional. All my legal and nonlegal knowledge comes from either here (CAG),my own personal research and experience and/or as the result of necessity as an Employer and Businessman.

By using my advice in any form, you agreed to waive all rights to hold myself or any persons representing myself of any liability.

If you PM me, make sure to include a link to your thread as I don't give out advice in private. All PMs that are sent in missuse (including but not limited to phinishing, spam) of the PM application and/or PMs that are threatening or abusive will be reported to the Site Team and if necessary to the police and/or relevant Authority.

• 7 months later...

Thanks, just an update, when I approached my employer about what they were doing (they were not going to give redundancy) they backed down and kept everyone at the same grade.