• Tweets

• Doc 04-19-2024 11-01-51-merged-compressed.pdf good morning.    9 pages attached.    thank you  UCM
    • Hi I was being supplied my ovo after unknowingly being swapped from SSE.  My issues began when we had a smart meter fitted and our bills almost doubled overnight - we at the time assumed we were just paying not enough until then and just continued to pay the excess bills each. Month.    I would from time to time contact ovo and get faced with a call centre on South Africa of the most rude agents who would just hang up after hours of wait and I could not even get an acknowledgement of an issue with my meter.  At one point we were not in the property for like 4 months and the bills were coming just as high!  It was at this point I was sure something is not right and ovo only care to send bailiffs and started threatening us with a pay as you go meter despite me taking out a 3.5k loan to pay of my outstanding balance.  Around 1600 each on both gas and electricity.  This is where its gets really bad -  the very same day they sent me out a new bill saying the money paid already was only to cover up until the November previous and because its now Feb we owe another 1k.   By that August this had risen to over 3k and I still couldn't get anyone to even acknowledge a fault let alone fix it.    In despair I tried to swap suppliers and to my surprise octopus accepted us because even tho the debt is owed we are trying deal with.  During our time with them the bill was coming only on my wife's name as I was responsible for other bills and she this one - now that we owe them 3k they have magically started adding my name as well as my wife's to the same debt to apply double pressure and its showing on my experiwn report now with a question mark and 2700 showing in grey -  This was my wife's debt which we dispute we owe yet the have now sent me letter with both our names on from oriel and past due credit debt agencies - is this illegal and how can I get them to take my. Name of this and leave on wife's name as its so unfair they give us a both a defualt for wife's debt which we dispute anyway.    In the end about 3 weeks ago I wrote an email to their ceo and rishi sunak and low and behold for the first time in our history with ovo someone who spoke English contacted us and said she will look into our claim.    I explained to her that we feel our meter is faulty and despite me contacting them using WhatsApp email and phone I still have not got anyone to acknowledge a fault even. And that I dispute I Owe anything as my son was in hospital for 3 months and we stayed with him so house was empty and still. They were sending us super sized bills more than when we started at home.  She promised to investigate and a few days later replied that she is sorry for the poor customer service and offered us £50 compensation - however she also. Mentioned that she's attached statements for us confirming the payment for 3k I made was only up until Nov and in Feb despite me pay 3.5k nearly it's correct for them to bill. Me. Another £900 the very same day and she did not agree our meter was faulty and therfore the debt stands and she will not be calling it bcak from past due credit.  During my time with my new supplier post ovo, octopus I requested tehy check my. Meters because I felt they were faulty and over charging me and I got excellent response asking me for further details which I supplied and I got a. Response bcak within days to say my meter was indeed faulty and octopus have now remotely repaired it.   I then contacted the energy ombudsman and explained my situation how she at ovo tried to fob me off and demand I apy money we don't feel we owe due to faulty equipment we reported but ovo had to process or mechanism to deal with it or lodge complaint even without having to cc their ceo and our pm. And now I feel sick to think both husband and wife will get a 6  year default for debt which have a validity of a questionable nature.    I explained all this to the energy ombudsman and they accepted my case and I explained to them that my new supplier found my fault which ovo refueed to accept - I've uploaded the email from new supplier to ombudsman showing we had a fault.    My. Question is is there anything I can upload in defence of my case to ombudsman before they decide outcome ina few weeks    All advice greatly appreciated not only would I like advice on how to clear this debt but also how I can pursue ovo for compensation and deterrence for the future.  Thansk 
    • Thanks for the reply dubai 50 - if the statute is 10 years it has long passed - if it is 15 years i havea few months left. i shall ignore until it gets serious  An update - - I sent the letter to the bank in Dubai ( I did get delivery confirmation from Royal Mail)   - I have moved to a new address ( this is the address i gave to the bank in dubai)  - IDR are continuing to send Letters to the old address, which leads me to believe they are not in contact with the bank at all. - i have not replied to any correspondence digital or hard as they are non threatening ( as of yet).        
    • Your topic title was altered last June 23 by the owner of this forum in the interests of the forum Anyway well done on your result and thank you for concluding your topic, title updated.   Andy   .
    • So what    Why ? Consent Order/ Confidentiality ? This would be be invaluable to followers of your topic.  
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

Reapairing Credit Status - Experian etc -- WHY WORRY ANYMORE

jimbo45
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5217 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi all

Since most people using CAG (including me) have got themselves for whatever reason into a spot of bother I do wonder why there are so many posts where people seem to worry endlessly over their "Credit Rating" listed by Experian etc.

I would advise anybody to think VERY SERIOUSLY why they need credit - especially if they have had any trouble in the past with any type of debt.

With ordinary Bank Cards (Debit cards) you don't need to carry large amounts of cash on you and these cards can be used in all cases where a Credit card can be used such as making online travel reservations / purchases etc etc.

It doesn't take too long to learn to live without a Credit card -- and if you own a property you won't get caught out by the sneaky "Charge Order" provision whereby Credit Card debt - supposedly unsecured can be turned into a secured debt against your house.

The best way of getting rid of all DCA **** is to TEAR UP YOUR CARD as soon as you can.

Some "Credit Repair" companies are also just basically rip off merchants offering you a "supposed VISA" card which requires you to keep a fixed amount on deposit -- for which you pay a HUGE amount of interest to "use the facility" -- which you can do for FREE by usuing an ordinary Bank Debit card.

So my best advice to ANYONE reading CAG posts this year is TEAR UP YOUR CREDIT CARD(S) and look with real pity on those hapless individuals who open their wallets and let a whole string of these cards out into full public display -- they will soon learn reality - especially in these uncertain times when jobs can be lost / outsourced at a moments noticed etc etc.

No credit -- then WHO CARES what experian et al hold on you. (Some of it when disclosed to unauthorized 3rd parties in any case could be construed as a breach of various Data protection acts anyway) --- waiting hopefully for a test case here to get these tittle tattlers shut down as well. Might never happen but even these bods have to slip up once -- and then BINGO.

Cheers and a happy DEBT FREE new year.

jimbo

• Haha 1

Can't tell you how true this is...I took the "wait six years route in 2006-07" and just live with out credit cards the feeling of having had a nice Christmas without debt is tremendous.

Live Life-Debt Free

In an ideal world... we'd all be debt free. Unfortunately, life isn't always so black and white.... I was one of those "hapless individuals" once :D

One reason people turn to credit cards is as a means of survival. This may not sound sensible, but when your back's against the wall, it's what happens in a bid to juggle income/outgoings and make sure things get paid.

Another reason is because they offer additional insurance on purchases which means that if a holiday company goes belly-up for example, then you would get a refund of monies paid (or the cc would).... but if you paid by debit card, then you would have a bigger fight on your hands and probably lose out.

Difficult subject.... but you make a valid point nonetheless.

:)

Quite agree Jimbo.

I couldn't care less whats on my credit file. In fact I have never looked at it. I know for a fact that it will be trashed for a good few years yet. Especially since we lost everything 5 years ago. I dont have a mortgage, I rent, and the next time I buy a house is when I win the lottery next week......:D.

The only loan I've got, and hopefully the only one I'll need, is to buy a car, and I knew I'd have to pay through the nose for that so I budgeted for it.

I wouldn't have another credit card or loan unless it was absolutely neccessary.

jed

Spot on! Until 2005 I had a perfect Credit Record, although to keep this meant some creative juggling money around cards. I could borrow what I wanted> Hence I ended up 100k in debt. Then the company I worked for went bust. I was earning about 60K A YEAR!! I had to take a job on about half the pay.

I agreed waht I thought were long term agreementys to pay reduced payments and this worked until late 2006 when HSBC sold my account to Phoenix. Marlin started harrassing me,then I found this site!!!

Now marlin shot thereselves in the foot taking me to court as now they get nothing! No CCA existed!

I cca'd my creditors and stopped paying, because I couldn't even afford the reduced payments.

The thing is that without credit I can afford to live a reasonable standard of life. You soon learn not to have a credit card, infact I only got a debit card again last year. I used a prepayed card during this time. Now I've got a Solo Card I know some people moan about these but i'm happy with it. The only place i've found you can't use it is Motorway services, although you can in the Petrol Stations.

I own my own house with a mortgage, the fixed rate ended in 2008 and I haven't tried to get it fixed again. I'll wait 2 years until as I understand it my credit file will be ok again. Infact just remembered it's 2010 so less then 2 years.

Can still get mobile phone contracts, budget accounts for Car Insurance and Home insurance etc. These have always been payed on time so these will be on my file as good payments.

But I don't intend taking out another Credit card or Loan as it's a downward spiral.

I've never checked my Credit File and don't intend to. To many cases where your information is misused when you do check it!

Hi jon888999 , fully agree with what you say . One thing though about fixed rate mortgages , if you are not borrowing any more and just going for another product with the same company you are likely to be accepted as they don't check your credit record in those circumstances, only if you try changing mortgage company or increase borrowing do they credit check.

sleepingdog

It is interesting that one of the main threats that DCAs use when trying to get a payment is that they will wreck your credit rating etc. The moment you stop worrying about your credit rating is the moment that the DCAs lose their hold over you.

And lets face it, if a DCA is chasing you, the chances are that your credit record is trashed anyway.

Having been - until very recently - one of those people who had loads of credit cards in his wallet, I can concur with the comments about soon learning to live without credit. It is a great feeling to know that Christmas was paid for using money I had in the bank - for the first time in years I am not dreading the thud of credit card bills landing on the doormat.

Isn't it interesting to think that the former Directors/Executives of the banks who sc**ewed this country up are probably the only people who have perfect credit ratings?

Ooo don't get me started on CRAs!! :mad::D

We will not be intimidated.

'The pen is mightier than the sword'.

Petition to Outlaw Debt Sale and Purchase

- can't read/post much as eye strain's v.bad.

VIVA CAG!!! :)

Its now approaching 6 years since all my woes started and I have managed all that time without any additional credit.

BUT......this year, well now in fact, I really need some additional funds but know its not going to happen. My daughter needs dental work doing and it has to be private since there is no NHS dentist available for her..(she is not at school before anyone asks)...work has started and a filling is due next week but I have no more money until the 26th of Jan. I have £120 to last until then but have to buy food with that and fuel for the car or I wont be going to work.

To top all that off, my central heating boiler has just packed in, great timing with this weather, but not too bad as I also have coal fires so I can get some heat in the house but I now have no hot water so thats the hard part.

In spite of my past experiences, if I could get credit now to tide me over I would.....sometimes the need is there rather than the want.

Of course I will pay you everything you say I owe with no proof.

Oooh Look....Flying Pigs

Well done to the OP for starting this thread. It puts what we take for granted into perspective.

We all need credit of some sort from time to time, and I would like to be back into a position where I can access credit should I need to - but I fully intend to survive with what I have ... and live without what I have not.

Same here, greedy ex wife coupled with my own naivety cost me plenty - but now, had 2 jobs for last 13 months, taking home £850 a week between them!

Wouldnt have a credit cared ever again even if they were free!!

And to be honest, a lot of hard work really pays off - I went into Comet just after Christmas and paid £700 in cash for a 50" TV. what made it all the better is the amount of people I saw paying with credit cards - I felt so free!!

So why worry people? Let the "industries" of this country do their worst. They can talk about me all they want, but as long as they dont know what Im earning, or where it is - Im having the last laugh!!!

I'm not bothered about my credit rating but since the 2 banks and 1 DCA who put defaults on them did so after the agreements were unlawfully rescinded I am going to have them removed and sue them for damages. By the way, I got myself out of debt and still have 2 gold credit cards, both fully paid with zero balances, and a premier cheque account at the bank. Howzat!:D

I just cancelled my 2 credit cards with RBS + Barclays.

I was not using them, RBS used more often but Barclay's had been £0.77 in credit for 14 months. They tried to get me to keep it open with different rates/offers etc (has anyone noticed how difficult it is to get your accounts closed?!)

I must say, the knowledge that I can't just go and purchase some random thing I don't really need is amazing.

I've even opened a wee savings account to fund some travelling later this year.

I'm now debt free, which is, as others have said, a great feeling.

Good luck to everyone 2010, let's hope this is a lovely debt free/ DCA free year for all.

quote=pda123;2680315]I just cancelled my 2 credit cards with RBS + Barclays.

I was not using them, RBS used more often but Barclay's had been £0.77 in credit for 14 months. They tried to get me to keep it open with different rates/offers etc (has anyone noticed how difficult it is to get your accounts closed?!)(

The reason why they want you to keep it open is not because of any balance you might have on there,( they don't care about that) it is because of the granted facility ( via your signature) is their basis for money creation, ie they monatise it. so, if you have a 5k limit with a CC Company , they use that 5k and sell it off as a securitised Instrument It doesn't matter if you never use the card. Your signature created the facility which they use under their fractional reserve system . Hence, if you want to cancel your account your are canceling their underlying security !!! that's why they will offer you anything to keep it open. Best way to give it back to the banks is to CLOSE down as many CC accounts as you can,

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]....Please don't bother my master 'cos my sister & I might bite you...

I DO NOT offer legal advice

-

"I just say what I say because everyone is entitled to my opinion!"

Totally agree with OC.

A bit like Pinky in that I have a gold card and bank account, both held for nearly25yrs, both kept clean and right. I am amazed I still have them as I owe 29k to 6 creditors and have done for 10yrs, paid small regular amounts (£80pm total) until I found CAG.

I now pay nothing and only use the credit card for paypal payments, life is more difficult but i'm not bothered about my credit file either.

I wonder when the financial institutions will have to start lending to those the y blackist, as they number must be going up at a ridiculous amount per annum?

Advice & opinions given by spartathisis are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.:)

I've managed without credit for almost 3 years now. If I can't afford it, I do without or wait a while and save up for it. Not only does it mean that I save a ton of money in interest charges, but also I know exactly what I have to spend each month and also avoid bank charges now. It also taught me to appreciate what I have instead of buying tons of crap gadgets and impulse buys using credit cards. My Attic is testament to my past where I must have blown thousands on stuff I didn't really need, and is now worth a couple of quid on a car boot sale at the most.

As most on CAG only know too well, when things go bad and you owe thousands on credit, the creditors and the DCA vultures will show you no mercy whatsoever. The banks have enslaved us and now we're paying big style for it. You should never need any more credit than a mortgage, and in these times where nobody has job security anymore, I would even question that.

My credit rating will be clean again in 3 years time, and I will mess it up again on purpose, so I can't be tempted. But I doubt I will be. The hell I went through 2 years ago will never be forgotton, and I very much doubt I will ever intentionally put myself in that situation again.

Some good has come out of it all though. New sense of responsibility. Appreciation for what I have, instead of worrying about what I don't have. Less stress, and for the first time ever I have a savings account with a four figure sum in it. It's been a long slog fighting off the DCA's, etc, but now there is light at the end of the tunnel.

I will miss taking the pee out of the DCA scumbags though. I still have a couple left to deal with, so I will make the most of them while I can. :D

There is life after debt, as long as you learn the lessons from it.

Good luck peeps.

These are video links to show how I deal with Debt Collectors.

Fly fishing for C.A.R.S

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=zPtzK8FqE6k&feature=related

Frederickson International don't accept my card type

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=eiZBULlWW6Q&feature=related

I wonder when the financial institutions will have to start lending to those the y blackist, as they number must be going up at a ridiculous amount per annum?

I was wondering about this too. Citizens Advice recently said they had 3 million requesting help with debt problems. Add to that the number of people who use sites like CAG, and the ones who seek help elsewhere, and sadly the ones who don't have any help yet, I have a feeling that there could be 1/6th of the UK has a knackered credit rating. Now add the people over 65 who are unlikely to get credit, peeps under 18, and that easily bumps it up to a huge amount. Plus once the General Election is over and we start seeing huge tax increases to pay the money back Gordon gave to the banks, then we'll see more businesses going under and more people with debt problems.

2 years from now I can easily see 80% of the population who could have got credit 4 years ago, not being able to. It will be interesting to see what the banks next move is. I can guess it will be in the interests of short term massive profits to the detriment of the rest of us, and the whole sorry saga will happen all over again in the future.

When you look at the past history of the human race, we seem to make the same mistakes over and over, and hardly ever seem to learn from them.

These are video links to show how I deal with Debt Collectors.

Fly fishing for C.A.R.S

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=zPtzK8FqE6k&feature=related

Frederickson International don't accept my card type

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=eiZBULlWW6Q&feature=related

Can't tell you how true this is...I took the "wait six years route in 2006-07" and just live with out credit cards the feeling of having had a nice Christmas without debt is tremendous.

Me too ....Wot an eye opener , ive got a credit card with a £200 limit and its for internet shopping only , i dont have the number for it , apart from that i have no outstanding debt . Six years is a long run but ive learned a hell of a lot about myself and how to manage debt ...never again will i get a bank loan or myself into unmanagable debt ;)

Hi I have just started to receive offers of loans and credit cards again even though I have 1 credit card marked default with >£5000 on it and they must know that I had another credit card cleared by another creditor. Or as I suspect they are getting desperate to give credit that they can now recover as the CCA 2006 allows creditors more scope for recovery.

dpick

Being Debt Free Is Like A Breath Of Frsh Air

I Have A Cap 1 Card With A 250 Quid Limit On It

They Keep Putting It Up And I Say Put It Back Or Ill Close The Account

Credit

Who Needs It

Its A Mugs Game

i'm the same as you postggj...

Cap1 card with £500 limit. they are lucky if i use £100 per month, then its payed off on payday. The way i see it now is the same as Sir Fuzzybobble, if i can't afford to pay cash then i'm not interested.

t-star

FOR THE BENEFIT OF OUR FRIENDS IN THE NSA USING THE PRISM SYSTEM. HELLO FROM THE UK.

By 2011 or 2012 at the latest there will be no such thing as a credit rating ( or for that matter credit ref agency's)

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]....Please don't bother my master 'cos my sister & I might bite you...

I DO NOT offer legal advice

-

"I just say what I say because everyone is entitled to my opinion!"

It is now almost exactly 6 years since I had to give up an extremely well paid job due to my health. Admittedly I get a huge amount more than the average person on benefits because of my disability, but in those 6 years I have not borrowed one penny from anyone and throughout I have been able to 'save for a rainy day' so when the garage roof needed to be replaced, I could pay for it. If it had been the house roof, I might have struggled though!

It hasn't been easy, but after 6 years I am now so much in the habit of being 'economical' - and that doesn't mean buying the cheapest you can find - that even though my circumstances have now vastly improved, I still do it and will keep on doing it.

I do once again have a credit card - I'm a second card holder on the OH's account - but it's only to buy things we would have bought anyway and can pay for, but would prefer to have s75 protection, e.g. flights, furniture which has to be ordered etc and the bill is cleared every month without fail. I also have a small overdraft facility on my personal account, but would actually prefer not to since I've never used it. However, try getting the bank to take it away!

My credit file is completely shot and will be for another 3 years yet (it took them that long to register all the defaults) but I've had no difficulty in arranging utilities etc in my name for the new place and I am constantly bombarded by mail begging me to apply for loans, mortgages and credit cards. They all go straight in the bin. I will never take another loan as long as I live - mortgage is in OH's name - so to me, my credit file is and will be forever irrelevant.

PS It isn't a case of once bitten - I did this twice, admittedly with a huge amount of help from the ex. It won't happen again.

RMW

"If you want my parking space, please take my disability" Common car park sign in France.

Hi jon888999 , fully agree with what you say . One thing though about fixed rate mortgages , if you are not borrowing any more and just going for another product with the same company you are likely to be accepted as they don't check your credit record in those circumstances, only if you try changing mortgage company or increase borrowing do they credit check.

sleepingdog

Thanks for that info, I think i'll give that a try soon, as rates can only one way now.