• Tweets

• Oil and gold prices have jumped, while shares have fallen.View the full article
    • Thank you for your reply, DX! I was not under the impression that paying it off would remove it from my file. My file is already trashed so it would make very little difference to any credit score. I am not certain if I can claim compensation for a damaged credit score though. Or for them reporting incorrect information for over 10 years? The original debt has been reported since 2013 as an EE debt even though they had sold it in 2014. It appears to be a breach of the Data Protection Act 1998 Section 13 and this all should have come to a head when I paid the £69 in September 2022, or so I thought. The £69 was in addition to the original outstanding balance and not sent to a DCA. Even if I had paid the full balance demanded by the DCA back in 2014 then the £69 would still have been outstanding with EE. If it turns out I have no claim then so be it. Sometimes there's not always a claim if there's blame. The CRA's will not give any reason for not removing it. They simply say it is not their information and refer me to EE. More to the point EE had my updated details since 2022 yet failed to contact me. I have been present on the electoral roll since 2012 so was traceable and I think EE have been negligent in reporting an account as in payment arrangement when in fact it had been sold to a DCA. In my mind what should have happened was the account should have been defaulted before it was closed and sold to the DCA who would then have made a new entry on my credit file with the correct details. However, a further £69 of charges were applied AFTER it was sent to the DCA and it was left open on EE systems. The account was then being reported twice. Once with EE as open with a payment arrangement for the £69 balance which has continued since 2013 and once with the DCA who reported it as defaulted in 2014 and it subsequently dropped off and was written off by the DCA, LOWELL in 2021. I am quite happy for EE to place a closed account on my credit file, marked as satisfied. However, it is clear to me that them reporting an open account with payment arrangement when the balance is £0 and the original debt has been written off is incorrect? Am I wrong?
    • OMG! I Know! .... someone here with a chance to sue Highview for breach of GDPR with a very good chance of winning, I was excited reading it especially after all the work put in by site members and thinking he could hammer them for £££'s and then, the OP disappeared half way through. Although you never know the reason so all I can say is I hope the OP is alive and well regardless. I'd relish the chance to do them for that if they breached my GDPR.
    • The streaming giant also said it added 9.3 million subscribers in the first three months of the year.View the full article
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

Bank Charges Campaign Continues

caro
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2177 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

• Replies 438
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Thanks guys. I'm preparing a little piece for the cagmag, and fingers crossed that I'll get a place to go. I have a feeling that I won't be the only cagger there. :-D

If anyone has any specific points they want raising, bearing in mind I'm sure people will have plenty to say, either post it on this thread, or if you prefer email me using caro@consumeracti ongro up.c o.uk (no gaps), and if I get the chance I'll try and raise them for you on the night.

I can't tell you how positive an experience it was attending the Big Banking Debate last year. We came away feeling that people who could really make a difference had listened to us, and were on board with what we had to say, not to mention some really good ideas coming out of it from a wide spectrum of delegates.

I can't wait!

The Consumer Action Group is a free help site.

Should you be offered help that requires payment please report it to site team.

Advice & opinions given by Caro are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

See you there Caro:-D

Can't wait Termi.:-D

Advice & opinions given by Caro are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

• 2 weeks later...

Yet another fantastic event by Which? hosted by Paul Lewis, with Sir John Vickers, Chair of the Independent Commission on Banking, who sat at our table listening and chipping into the conversation, chief executive of The Co-operative Financial Services Neville Richardson, and Which? chief executive Peter Vicary-Smith.

Also in attendance with yours truly were the lovely Termi and Sweetjane. We ladies were on a mission and I think I can safely say that it was accomplished!!:whoo:

What was seems to be coming out of the ICB is that competition is key, but people seem reluctant to move banks, and there was discussion about why this was and what might encourage people to change.

We looked at different named banks and which were considered traditional and which were considered newer.

There was an amusing comment from one delegate about Tesco that they should stick to groceries and let bankers stick to banking, to which someone shouted out something along the lines of

"Why? The bankers haven't done a very good job so far so maybe they'll do better!!"

There was also some sketchy information about the Financial Conduct Authority which will replace the FSA, but which it seems will have a more teeth. It is proposed that part of its remit will be to encourage competition. Only time will tell.

Hard copies of the ICB Interim Report - Consultation on Reform Options was published in April, and they're still in the feedback period until 4th July, before submitting their final findings to the Government in September.

The full report (over 200 pages, but readable) or an 8 page executive summary can be downloaded here:- http://bankingcommission.independent.gov.uk/

To feedback on the report, there are a number of questions which you can respond to by emailing [email protected]

I would urge everyone to take this rare opportunity to have their say about the report while they can.

I think that the 3 of us came away optimistic that there is a real desire to see change in banking.

Bank charges were not high on the agenda at the event, but they were mentioned and I get the feeling that the matter is still under scrutiny by the powers that be, so I would urge everyone to have their say while they can, and also to contact their MPs to make sure that they know your views for when the ICB findings are reviewed by Parliament and the Government.

Hi ElspethR. I see you've been posting on the Which? site too. I see they're asking people to email their MPs. There's a template you can send as it is, or you can personalise it. It even finds your MP for you so very easy to do. :-)

You can send it using this link. http://www.which.co.uk/campaigns/personal-finance/unfair-overdraft-charges/what-were-doing-to-tackle-unfair-charges/

For info it says:-

I am writing to ask you to urge the government to take strong action against the banks over unarranged overdraft charges. Banks make a huge amount of money from these charges so I do not believe they will make changes that deliver real benefits to people like me unless the government takes action and forces them to change their approach.

Like many of your constituents, I was very disappointed by the Supreme Court decision that denied the OFT the right to assess banks’ terms and conditions on overdraft charges for fairness. Some of the charges for unarranged overdrafts seem completely disproportionate and are difficult to understand. You generally don’t even know when you’ve been charged until after it has happened and it is hard to believe that these charges are cost-reflective to your bank. Getting hit with a charge can often make your money problems worse.

The Coalition agreement clearly states that the Coalition “will introduce stronger consumer protections, including measures to end unfair bank and financial transaction charges”. I understand the government is currently considering the case for changing the law but it is obvious the banks will campaign relentlessly against any tough changes and will try and secure support for a voluntary approach. I am concerned this will just result in more years of no action and unfair charges. I would therefore be grateful for any assistance you could offer in making sure the consumer voice isn’t drowned out and ensuring the banks don’t, yet again, manage to wriggle their way out of reforms.

I was very pleased to see the pledge in the Coalition agreement and hope you will help ensure that the government stands by their promise. The banks have enjoyed a huge amount of taxpayer support and I believe it is about time that they were made to charge consumers in a fair manner.

I honestly think that Which? are one of our best hopes in our continuing fight.

Please support them and send your MP an email.

• 1 month later...

Today CAG sent an open email to all MPs. If everyone could email their own MPs, either with this message or something similar that would be fantastic.

Open email to all Members of Parliament

Dear Sir or Madam

The Consumer Action Group’s Call for Government Action on Bank Charges

The Bank Action Group, which went on to become the Consumer Action Group (CAG) has been fighting bank charges for over 5 years. Many of our 280,000+ members successfully claimed back charges, in most cases taking out court claims. In all but a very few cases the banks settled, sometimes literally on the court steps. One cannot help but wonder why they were so keen to avoid going to court.

The CAG was initially pleased that the OFT went to court with the banks in an effort to resolve the issue, until thousands of people had their claims stayed until the test case verdict. Despite the OFT winning in two courts, it was a bitter blow when the Supreme Court found in favour of the banks, although the decision was based on a very small point of law.

Many of those claims are still stayed in courts, while others have been struck out. A few people have continued with their claims and lost in court as a result of the Supreme Court judgment, despite the comments of the judges.

It is curious that while the case against the OFT was going on, most, if not all of the banks changed their charging structure and terminology, apparently reducing charges. If they are confident that their charges are lawful and fair, why have they done this? Why, whilst this case was proceeding, did the banks decide to destroy decades of records and just keep the minimum required of six years? Could it have been that they wanted to avoid paying back charges more than 6 years old if they lost? If they don’t have records they can’t pay people back.

The Supreme Court was careful to explain that its judgment did “not resolve the myriad cases that are currently stayed in which customers have challenged Relevant Charges”. In particular, the court made it clear that “it remained open to question whether bank charges were fair” in relation to regulation 5(1) of the Unfair Terms in Consumer Contract Regulations.

Despite this judgment being made over a year and a half ago in November 2009, and despite the three major parties stating in August 2009 that they wanted the issue of bank charges resolving quickly, bank customers are still suffering horrendous charges, at a time of inflation, the credit crunch and, for many, job loss and home repossession. The spiral effect of these insidious charges continues to cause stress and hardship for thousands, if not millions of people.

Santander and Barclays do not use the same charging system in other European countries, so why is this unfair business model reserved for disadvantaged UK citizens?--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Consumer Action Group calls on the coalition Government to fulfil their election pledges to the people they represent. If current legislation is unclear on the issue of bank charges, then new legislation must be introduced to ensure that society’s most disadvantaged get a fair deal from the banks and stop subsidising those customers who are better off, not to mention the bankers’ bonus pots.

Your support and assistance in this matter would be greatly appreciated.

If you would like further information or to discuss bank charges, please contact @consumeractiongroup.co.uk

Yours faithfully

Consumer Action Group

www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk

Originally Posted by the_shadow viewpost-right.png

no excuse... they can use this site to do the donkey work, they just have to know their postcode and how to cut&paste :)

http://www.writetothem.com/

Edited by caro
Adding useful link kindly provided by The Shadow

Thanks to citizenb for the idea and sending the email out.:-D

:oops: Lets hope that they arent all too caught up in the NOTW scandal !

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

Good morning CB and Caro ... :)

Great work .... my e-mail has gone already to my MP !

My son still has a "Stayed" case in court .... hope this moves things along favourably ...and hopefully the Scottish cases will be favourably resolved soon to add weight to the claims ...

Nemo me impune lacessit

Advice & opinions given by johnnymitch are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

If you think I've helped you please feel free to tickle my star :-D

:oops: Lets hope that they arent all too caught up in the NOTW scandal !

Yep. Shame it wasn't a quieter news day.:|

Good morning CB and Caro ... :)

Great work .... my e-mail has gone already to my MP !

My son still has a "Stayed" case in court .... hope this moves things along favourably ...and hopefully the Scottish cases will be favourably resolved soon to add weight to the claims ...

Thanks Johnny - lets hope so. Maybe if the other 280,000 or so registered caggers would email too .........:wink:

Yep. Shame it wasn't a quieter news day.:|

Thanks Johnny - lets hope so. Maybe if the other 280,000 or so registered caggers would email too .........:wink:

Yep indeed, no excuse... they can use this site to do the donkey work, they just have to know their postcode and how to cut&paste :)

S.

(Just sent mine btw)

Well done Caro and CitizenB, E-mail sent and personal info added to give extra clout! 'cause they don't like copy and pasted stuff.

Keep up the fight against Bank Charges.

Got Debt problems?

Don't panic, put the kettle on and read this

:-) Everything I write comes from my heart and head! The large filling cabinet that is my knowledge of life, however warped that may be!! :-)

<<< Please tickle my star!! if I have managed to help you or just made you chuckle!

Thanks folks. :whoo:

Yep indeed, no excuse... they can use this site to do the donkey work, they just have to know their postcode and how to cut&paste :)

Thanks for that Shadow. Hope you don't mind if I copy this into the post with the open email so people don't miss it.;-)

I'm so pleased Bank Charges are being pursued with vigour again. The PPI campaign was efficient and successful and the Banks have the money for it, and the Bank charges. The email post to MP's is spot on, the Judge gave a lifeline which I hope can be taken one step further. Is it an idea to post this email info in the Banks forum to spread the word and at the top of the main page.

I find the letter overly negative in tone. I was thinking of starting a thread asking for positive proposals as to how we should go forward. I have done this by drafting my own letter on which I welcome observations:

The Bank Action Group, which went on to become the Consumer Action Group has been campaigning on bank charges for over five years. We were naturally hugely disappointed by the decision of the Supreme Court in Office of Fair Trading v Abbey National plc and Others. On reflection, whilst previously maintaining the contrary, we accept, for the reasons given by the court, that the decision was the only possible one having regard to the law. Whilst other legal avenues are being explored we are not confident that the outcome will favour the consumer. This leaves many in a state of uncertainty quite apart from the fact that, despite some small measure of improvement, bank charges are still unfair in the general rather than narrow legal sense of that word.

A modern society needs banking services. It is accepted that no business can reasonably be expected to carry on a significant part of its business without making a profit on it. Indeed, we go further and acknowledge that, much as we would like to see it, it is unrealistic to expect the level of bank charges to be controlled. The succinct comments made by Lady Hale in the judgement of the Supreme Court go to the heart of the matter and are worth quoting in full:

“I would only add that, should this or any other Parliament be minded to take up the invitation given in the last paragraph of Lord Walker's judgement, it may not be easy to find a satisfactory solution. The banks may not be the most popular institutions in the country at present, but that does not mean that their methods of charging for retail banking services are necessarily unfair when viewed as a whole. As a very general proposition, consumer law in this country aims to give the consumer an informed choice rather than to protect the consumer from making an unwise choice. We buy all sorts of products which a sensible person might not buy and some of which are not good value for the money. We do so with our eyes open because we want the product in question more than we want the money. Should financial services be treated differently from other goods and services? Or is the real problem that we do not have a real choice because the suppliers all offer much the same product and do not compete on some of their terms? This is the situation here. But it is not clear to me whether the proper solution is to find some way of forcing the suppliers to compete with one another in the terms they offer or whether the solution is to condemn one particular model of charging for those services. Fortunately, however, that is for Parliament and not for this Court.”

The time has now come for Parliament to grasp the nettle. The present model of “free if in credit banking”, whilst the result of past consumer pressure, is patently unfair. What is needed is regulation which ensures:

1. Charges which reflect more closely the services actually provided to the customer irrespective of whether he maintains his account in credit.

2. Clear terms and conditions which indicate what the charges are and the circumstances in which they will be applied.

3. Banks do not manipulate accounts to generate charges.

4. Proper competition for customers between banks to provide a real choice.

5. Decisions made at local level by bank employees who know their customers.

6. Vulnerable members of society who have no choice but to use banking services are not unfairly prejudiced.

Such regulation would leave unsettled the question of how past charges should be dealt with. Many customers who have court cases pending, and those contemplating court action, are in limbo. Whether or not the answer is be found in the law, a line needs to be drawn under the issue by encouraging the banks to make a significant gesture across the board. Whether and how government should deal with the pending cases is a difficult issue which would require debate, but clearing the court system clearly needs to be part of any package. Government could play its part by ordering the refund of court fees.

veThanks for taking the time Aequitas. In all honesty I had hoped that this thread might spark a positive way forward. After 5 years I have learned how hard it is to stir people into positive action. If someone can do better I'm behind them all the way. What matters is finding a fair solution.

I don't know if you saw Lord Phillips in the programme about the work of the Supreme Court. He made it fairly clear that he would have liked to have given a different result but had to interpret the law as it stands, so to me the way forward is to change the law.

I think the Independent Commission on Banking has gone some way towards recommending some of your suggestions, particularly with regard to competition, so it's a good idea to encourage Parliament to consider their proposals bearing in mind the opinions of bank consumers, many of whom have given evidence to the commission.

I'm not entirely sure that Government has the power to order the courts to do anything, but if they have I'd rather that they ordered the repayment of bank charges than just court fees. It is wrong that they have the fees though if they aren't going to do what they've been paid for.

Send your letter by all means. The important thing is to let our MPs that we haven't gone away and still expect them to keep their election pledges, and as Night Owl says they aren't keen on templates. Give them food for thought.

Thanks for the input.:-)