• Tweets

• deed?  you mean consent order you and her signed? concluding the case as long as you nor she break it's conditions signed upto? dx Yes sorry. they called it a deed at first in court.  Then Judge said she was happy to have it sealed as something else  exact names of orders in message above.     The disease was tested for when his cardiac testing was done immediately after purchase and part of the now sealed case.   However, results were disclosed incorrectly and I only found out  two days ago.   This disease did not form part of my knowledge during the case as I had been informed of a normal result that was not the case.   it is perfect clarity of a genetic disease where as the previous cardiac issue could be congenital until the pup is genetically tested. 
    • Hi, Halifax recently sold a credit card account of mine to Cabot. I am unemployed and have no assets and was thinking of making token £1 payments for 12-18 months in order to drag things out a bit and reduce the chance of Cabot being able to get the correct CCA documents from Halifax if I requested them in future. However, I saw on the pages on this forum about defending county court claims that one of the standard approaches when defending such claims is to say “I had an account with bank X, but I don’t remember the details and so don’t know if I owe this debt…”. If I made £1 payments to Cabot, would it prevent me from using such a defence in future? OC: Halifax DC: Cabot/Wescot Card account opened: 2016 Defaulted: 2023
    • Paperwork says sealed consent order and composite settlement agreement      YES  ADDISONS DISEASE 
    • Hi, This may be the wrong place for a thread BUT If you receive a defence, can you send a CPR 31.14 request for document mentioned in the defence, and then apply to proceed with the case only after (14) days passed or they respond OR is it only if you receive a claim I see @dx100uk thread is for when you receive a claim, but can you also do the same when you receive a defence?
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

Bank Charges Campaign Continues

caro
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2182 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hello caro!

Just goes to show what people power can do, and nice to see a government listening to its electorate. All we need to do now is work out how to get the people of this country to stand up and make our politicians listen.

Any ideas?

If we can make the spineless self-serving politicians think there is a serious danger of them not being elected, they will soon bend over for anything that might keep them on the Gravy Train.

Now is a damned good time to have a go. A General Election has a strange effect on politicians...they actually have to listen to the people for a change.

It's a pretty small window of opportunity, but the right cause could take off like Wildfire. YouTube, FaceBook, CAG etc...it's just a question of hitting the right note.

Dishonest politicians and dull greedy bankers are two issues that spring to mind. We can work with that, I am sure!

Cheers,

BRW

• Replies 438
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Yes but its British money they are refusing to hand back.

Money that we need!

IVA Entry Removed

Nationwide Default Removed

Nationwide Joint Account Default Removed

Natwest Default Removed

Blackhorse Car Finance Court Claim - Won

Yes but its British money they are refusing to hand back.
But it was not the Icelandic people who saw any of it, so why should they be forced to pay for mistakes made by bankers?

The bankers' activities span all borders, and they have collectively made a smelly mess in most Countries.

My point is neither the Icelandic nor British people should pick up the tab for a failed Industry (hint, it is not an Industry) that makes nothing, contributes nothing and yet causes the majority of us to live in a Cloud Cuckoo debt based economy that rapes the planet by the back entrance, purely to support their greedy asset grabbing lifestyles.

Cheers,

BRW

Edited by banker_rhymes_with
Typo

Folowing this thread with interest.

A few celebs who may be interested

Bremner, Bird and Fortune (did those wonderful programmes about the banking industry)

and David Mitchell, who seems to be on TV and Radio most always atm is definately anti the whole banking shennaneghans

In fact alot of those comediens seem to be with us. Perhaps they could be persuaded to host a 'Comedy Relief' style fundraiser to help fund some of the cases to go through court.

Slightly OT, but Ive been searching the forum for over an hour now trying to find the link about where we change our application to the court, in the light of the OFT test case result. I had it up the other day but the computer crashed before I had a chance to copy it

Hi elseg..... welcome aboard :)

I would wait until our legal and site team have had a chance to work out a new set of Patriculars of Claim (POCs)..... should be fairly soon now by all accounts... keep your eye on the 'Announcements' at the top of the forum pages .

The Consumer Forums - Announcements in Forum : HSBC Bank

Meanwhile if you've had a letter from your bank 'post OFT case' trying to get the court to strike out your claim , or giving you a time-scale to alter yor POCs ... .. come back and we can give you a holding letter to buy you some time ... :)

Sorry caro , didn't mean to usurp your thread on this .......

• Haha 1

Nemo me impune lacessit

Advice & opinions given by johnnymitch are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

If you think I've helped you please feel free to tickle my star :-D

Folowing this thread with interest.

A few celebs who may be interested

Bremner, Bird and Fortune (did those wonderful programmes about the banking industry)

and David Mitchell, who seems to be on TV and Radio most always atm is definately anti the whole banking shennaneghans

In fact alot of those comediens seem to be with us. Perhaps they could be persuaded to host a 'Comedy Relief' style fundraiser to help fund some of the cases to go through court.

Slightly OT, but Ive been searching the forum for over an hour now trying to find the link about where we change our application to the court, in the light of the OFT test case result. I had it up the other day but the computer crashed before I had a chance to copy it

Hi and thanks for the ideas. That would certainly be interesting, but might be a logistical nightmare, to get them together in one place at the same time. I like your way of thinking though.

Perhaps it's time to start making contact to see if we can get some celeb support.

Hey Daniella, did you manage to find contact details for Michael McIntyre?

I've given some thought to suggested wording for a petition, and will post them up over the weekend. In the meantime I've emailed my MP to see what (if anything) the Government propose to do about the situation. This is what I said.

Dear Mr Plaskitt

You may recall that I came to see you some 2 years ago regarding the issue of bank charges, both as your constituent, and as a representative of the Consumer Action Group.

OFT Test Case Updates and Discussion - The Consumer Forums

Before the Supreme Court ruling in the case between the OFT v Banks on bank charges in November, leaders of the three major parties had all called for automatic refunds for customers. Given that the Supreme Court upheld the banks appeal, but suggested that regulation 5 of The Unfair Terms in Consumer Contracts Regulations 1999 may be applicable, I would like to know what the Government position is now on bank charges.

There are tens, if not hundreds of thousands of court claims of bank charges which are still on hold, and the OFT have yet again failed to protect the public from banks. Where does this leave us now, and what do the Government propose to do about it?

I would welcome your comments.

Yours sincerely

Caro

The Consumer Action Group is a free help site.

Should you be offered help that requires payment please report it to site team.

Advice & opinions given by Caro are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

Thanks Kip. To be fair he is a very proactive MP, has been on the Treasury Select Committee that questioned Sir Fred, and was involved in ensuring banking was accessible to all. He also wrote to the OFT for me, but hasn't pursued the charges issue further as far as I know.

Last time he replied within a couple of days.:)

Advice & opinions given by Caro are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

Mind you, he is a Labour MP in what was a very safe Tory constituency, so he needs to keep ahead of the game if he wants to keep his very marginal majority.;)

Hello caro!

One problem with MPs that many of us are faced with, is the fact that many are wholly discredited and are standing down at the next Election.

These people did not even have the decency to stand down and get out of the way to allow someone else to do their job properly.

In the meantime, they are collecting their honey, and they are no doubt still submitting expenses to get at the honey-comb as well.

Many people have non-MPs at the moment. I really would love to write to my MP, but the idiot is probably on holiday or relaxing in front of the fire with their pipe and slippers.

For all those in the same position, I would perhaps suggest writing to the Party Leaders instead, all of them. Make it clear you have a non-functioning MP, could they appoint a working one please to handle the issue instead?

Cheers,

BRW

I suspect that the Government will comment as they did immediately after the Supreme Court Judgement:

Is there anyway of being able to make any petition specifically to avoid the standard response Caro. From the wording it gives them the opt out of "we are working with the OFT, banks and consumer groups etc,etc,".

"Sarah McCarthy Fry, Exchequer Secretary to the Treasury, said the government was "determined" to make sure the system was made fairer in future.

"Consumers, who have been waiting a number of years, will be extremely disappointed with this outcome.

"It is clear that in the past, banks were not thinking enough about their customers. That needs to change for the future.

"The government will work with the OFT and Financial Services Authority to reach a new framework for fairer bank charges going forward.""

Source: BBC News - Banks win Supreme Court case on overdraft charges

FSA Waiver on Bank Charges:http://www.fsa.gov.uk/pages/Doing/Regulated/Notify/Waiver/pdf/dir_quart_0709.pdf

Michael McIntyre's myspace page where you can contact him is here: Michael Mcintyre on MySpace Comedy - Comic Clips, Funny Videos & Jokes

Have taken info from his official website and his agents website.

FSA Waiver on Bank Charges:http://www.fsa.gov.uk/pages/Doing/Regulated/Notify/Waiver/pdf/dir_quart_0709.pdf

Good points BRW and thanks for the info and link YB.

I've had a look at the petition website which says they don't accept petitions which are similar to others already up and running, and there are a few on bank charges issues. Number 10 have to approve it before it can be hosted on the site.

I know I have a tendency to be verbose, but I think the points I've raised are valid, even though the Govt should be aware of them. Comments welcome on first draft.

We, the undersigned, oppose the unfair and systematic way banks charge extortionate amounts to customers for purported services. People who do not have enough money to cover bills and living expenses, are the very people being forced to pay these charges, thus making their situation worse, as money they need is taken from their accounts. This leads to such problems as inability to pay day to day living expenses, and going without or cutting down on basic human needs like, food, clothing and heat in an attempt, not only to live within their means, but to pay the banks the money they demand.

People are being forced into bankruptcy, harassed by debt collection agencies, (many using dubious practices), losing their homes forcing families to live apart, relationships to break down, and mental and physical health being affected as a result of the stress of the situation, and in some cases, suicide.

It is inconceivable that the British Bankers Association, the Financial Services Authority and the Financial Ombudsman Service cannot see the hardship that these charges inflict on the least well off, and allow the banks to carry on at will, and we have no faith in their ability to resolve the ongoing problems.

We demand that the Government take action to redress the balance for bank customers, which the Supreme Court have questioned under the UTCCR reg 5, and that the Office of Fair Trading see as a problem, despite their puzzling decision not to pursue the matter further. The law needs clarifying, or changing quickly to prevent more poverty and suffering.

Sorry Caro I really don't understand what you are trying to acheive with that.

The future of bank charges and personal accounts is being looked at heavily and things are changing for the better, the white papers, the market studys, BCOBS regulations etc etc. I don't agree with the 'carry on at will' part.

With your references to the Judgment I think you are petitioning for redress for historical charges and past actions of the banks, which is what the test case was primarily wanted for, and the part where you talk about changing the law, I assume you are meaning as indicated by comments in the judgment ?

Moreover Ministers and Parliament may wish to consider the matter further. They decided, in an era of socalled “light-touch” regulation, to transpose the Directive as it stood rather than to confer the higher degree of consumer protection afforded by the national laws of some other

member states. Parliament may wish to consider whether to revisit that decision.

and

93. I would only add that, should this or any other Parliament be minded to take up the invitation given in the last paragraph of Lord Walker’s judgment, it may not be easy to find a satisfactory solution. The banks may not be the most popular institutions in the country at present, but that does not mean that their methods of charging for retail banking services are necessarily unfair when viewed as a whole. As a very general

proposition, consumer law in this country aims to give the consumer an informed choice rather than to protect the consumer from making an unwise choice. We buy all sorts of products which a sensible person might not buy and some of which are not good value for the money. We do so with our eyes open because we want the product in question more

than we want the money. Should financial services be treated differently from other goods and services? Or is the real problem that we do not have a real choice because the suppliers all offer much the same product and do not compete on some of their terms?

This is the situation here. But it is not clear to me whether the proper solution is to find some way of forcing the suppliers to compete with one another in the terms they offer or whether the solution is to condemn one particular model of charging for those services.

Fortunately, however, that is for Parliament and not for this Court

so thus the UK interpretation of article 4(2) ???

I think a petition to force the OFT to refer the banks to the Competition Commission for an inquiry might also be an idea.

I also don't think the OFT's decision is puzzling, they spelt out the reasons pretty clearly.

Edited by yourbank
spelt Judgment incorrectly

As I said Yourbank, this was a first draft, but I think the OFT have had more than enough time to resolve the issues, and as they are not an elected body they don't have the same need to answer to the public.

It is a non-ministerial Government department, so IMHO we should be going straight to the top.

The law I refer to is the law of the land and what entitles banks to rip us off. I take your point that it needs to be clearer.

Hello caro!

I fear the Petition could be in danger of disappearing in amongst all of the others, unless we can come up with something short and hard hitting...something that the Nation and his/her dog can get their head around...and flock to the cause in their Millions.

Taking the cue from the Icelandic people, something like:

We, the British people, refuse to pay for the mistakes made by the banks. We demand the immediate liquidation of as many UK based banks as needed until this wholly discredited group settle their own commercial debts. In the meantime, we demand emergency level Consumer and Business protection to safeguard the people while a profoundly fairer, more transparent and significantly better regulated financial system is established. One that exists to serve and support the Nation rather than one that simply feeds upon the Nation.
Cheers,

BRW

lol I like that BRW.

Right Caro, why not spell out exactly what government should do to force redress for consumers. Whats wrong with the directive implementation in the UK as opposed to say, Germany ? Spell it out so the government can't come back, as I said before, with generic bull. Put it in PIL so people know what you are asking for and so the government know what is needed of them.

Hello caro!

I fear the Petition could be in danger of disappearing in amongst all of the others, unless we can come up with something short and hard hitting...something that the Nation and his/her dog can get their head around...and flock to the cause in their Millions.

Taking the cue from the Icelandic people, something like:

Cheers,

BRW

I agree it does need to be punchier and am happy to scrap my starting point. Just trying to set the ball rolling.;)

However I'm not sure that your suggestion makes clear to Joe Public that bank charges are part of the issue.

I think the OFT have had more than enough time to resolve the issues, and as they are not an elected body they don't have the same need to answer to the public.

But they are working on it, they have been held up with the legal issues but now know where they stand, they have made massive changes and are continuing to do so, work WITH them as well as petitioning the government and guide them in the direction the people on the ground actually WANT and need. It is relevant to the thread as you are talking about redress AND the ongoing situation with regards bank charging, and no its not down to me to start a thread about it, you have a forum dedicated to the current work the OFT ARE doing, you could be doing so much more, as a site not just you personally. Sitting and winging and making petitions and talking about protests that wont happen will not change things.

lol I like that BRW.

Right Caro, why not spell out exactly what government should do to force redress for consumers. Whats wrong with the directive implementation in the UK as opposed to say, Germany ? Spell it out so the government can't come back, as I said before, with generic bull. Put it in PIL so people know what you are asking for and so the government know what is needed of them.

If the German implementation is better perhaps you could expand on that for those of us who haven't studied how the rest of the EU handle it.

I'm not trying to pretend I know everything YB, so specifics would be better if you can come up with something.

I don't know what you mean by PIL.:confused:

Plain Intelligible Language (sorry that wasn't a good example of such)

I'm just pointing out Germany as an example as their unfair terms law is much much stronger than ours (I can find a copy if you really want but its quite tedious) and takes the directive much further (actually I think the directive came FROM the german law first) As in the Judgment we haven't and it could be strengthened. If the government won't do it, then it needs a reference to the ECJ from the high court.

I'm simply trying to get something more specific to be petitioned for, so the government can't turn round and say the OFT are looking at it etc like they did with the Charter petition, so if we want a Competition Inquiry, we say we want one and why, If we want law changing we say which ones and why - the heart strings pulling stuff has been done over and over and possibly creates a few questions in parliament and some sympathetic noises, but when it comes down to it we are stuck with what the OFT/FSA are doing, until we get something high enough up in the court system, or we get the government to step in.

We know they can't just change the law to suit us off the back of one issue, else the banks would just take the government to court wouldnt they.

Hello caro!

I agree it does need to be punchier and am happy to scrap my starting point. Just trying to set the ball rolling.
No problem at all, it wasn't a criticism of your efforts.

My concern is we have perhaps a golden chance here to make a difference, the best one we have had in perhaps decades. We need to give it our best shot while we have the chance.

Here is why:

• There is a General Election looming.

• The Economy is in deep recession and could yet go a lot deeper, or we may see an engineered false-hope recovery with serious inflation (pump that much number-money in and prices will be affected once that number-money finally starts working its evil magic).

• The banks are the cause of this, not the people nor real businesses (banks and most of the financial groups living off the Nation do not count as businesses).

• The resident crop of politicians have demonstrated their true self-serving and dishonest tendencies.

• The Courts have demonstrated a reluctance to support the people.

• The Regulators have demonstrated a bias towards the banks, and a reluctance to support the people.

• The DCAs are out of control and causing real misery. People who can make a difference (such as comedians like Michael McIntyre who have a huge potential audience) are now increasingly aware of this, some having suffered this at first hand.

• The people behind the banks, financial organisations and the politicians themselves, are a very small minority compared to the Nation as a whole. The new obscene banking Phoenix profits and huge greedy banking bonuses now popping back up on the scope are angering millions.

• The political parties are almost indistinguishable from one another, none are showing any real desire for change that will benefit the people who they hope will re-elect them.

I feel that if we concentrate upon some core issues albeit simplistic ones, rather than getting bogged down with specific technical areas that will only serve to make most people go all distant and blank, then it might be possible to set something in motion that might just gather momentum. Once rolling, then the core simplistic issues may gather up the more specific and complex issues as the larger ball becomes unstoppable.

I honestly do not know who to vote for. The major Parties are not saying the right things, and whilst some of the smaller Parties are, there are some strings attached that many will not accept.

The next General Election is in danger of being either a damp squib, or a messy hung Parliament. Unless someone, somewhere starts something, then things will carry on as before. We need to get it across to the egotists that people want and need some real changes. If we let them revert to the existing system, then the engineered banking swings will get bigger and deeper. We will be destined to wobble alarmingly from false boom to real bust until we own nothing and owe everything.

Cheers,

BRW

Edited by banker_rhymes_with
Typo