Virgin Media broke data protection

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5225 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

An adviser from Virgin Media called my home when I was at work and spoke to my wife.

They discussed the amount owed on the account with my wife who is not authorised to discuss the account.

My wife explained that I dealt with this, but the adviser continued without security questions and told her if the amount was not paid in two days, the services would be suspended.

Can anyone please advise what I should do?

An adviser from Virgin Media called my home when I was at work and spoke to my wife.

They discussed the amount owed on the account with my wife who is not authorised to discuss the account.

My wife explained that I dealt with this, but the adviser continued without security questions and told her if the amount was not paid in two days, the services would be suspended.

Can anyone please advise what I should do?

Pay up ? :)

Thanks for the constructive help.

YW :)

Although Data Protection rules may have been broken, I doubt they'd admit that, unless you have something in writing to prove it...and wouldnt effect the debt still owing.

Andy

Regardless or not whether money is owing they should not have discussed the account with a non account holder. For all we know this may have caused an argument or even a break up in a relationship. IMHO they have contravened the Data Protection Act.

This gets better and better.

I spoke to Virgin Media earlier who said that if I don't want a third party to discuss my account, I HAVE TO TELL THEM!!

I thought that Data Protection law meant that I would have to tell them if I wanted anyone to discuss the account other than myself??

According to Virgin Media "We can chase you for money at any time it is owed and we can speak to any third party if they quote the password even if they are not named on the account"

She also had the cheek to ask "Why would there be anyone in your home who was not able to discuss the account?"

Unbelievable!!

This gets better and better.

I spoke to Virgin Media earlier who said that if I don't want a third party to discuss my account, I HAVE TO TELL THEM!!

I thought that Data Protection law meant that I would have to tell them if I wanted anyone to discuss the account other than myself??

According to Virgin Media "We can chase you for money at any time it is owed and we can speak to any third party if they quote the password even if they are not named on the account"

She also had the cheek to ask "Why would there be anyone in your home who was not able to discuss the account?"

Unbelievable!!

This is not the case. What happens if a child were to answer? I.e like my 15 year old son who does sound like an adult? No way. Password has to be given or they can't discuss it - it's financial and confidential.

They have broken the rules.

You didn't mention that the password was given.

No I didn't

The password was not given in this case.