Shop refusing to give change

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5221 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

My daughter and her friends have gone into town, they have gone into a certain shop, purchased a handbag for £3. Paid with a ten pound note I had given her, and walked away from the till. Took half a dozen steps then realised she had been given no change.

She immediately went back to the till, and was told basically tough, you should of checked straight away! Give us your phone number and we will ring you tonight if the till is up.

My daughter has just rung me, and is so distressed.

Before I go to the shop guns blazin.....what should I do?

HOW TO...DUMMIES GUIDE TO CAG...Read here

STEP BY STEP GUIDE...Read here

F&Q's... Read here

EVERYTHING YOU NEED THE A~Z GUIDE...Read here

Go to our Cag Toolbar Download page here

Please don't forget this site is run on DONATIONS If this site has helped in any way, then please give a little back. ;-)

Any opinions are without prejudice & without liability. All I know has come from this site. If you are unsure, please seek professional advice. .

Does she have a reciept?

Please Note

The advice I offer will be based on the information given by the person needing it. All my advice is based on my experiences and knowledge gained in working in the motor and passenger transport industries in various capacities. Although my advice will always be sincere, it should be used as guidence only.

I would always urge to seek professional advice for clarification prior to taking any action.

Please click my scales at the bottom of my profile window on the left if you found my advice usefull.

My temper got the better of me, and I went to the shop.

I asked what had gone on, and she validated my daughter's story. Yes she had the receipt still which showed she had given £7 change.

I asked why the change hadn't been offered to my daughter, and the slales girl said she couldn't remember, and to wait until the store had closed so she could check.

I told her she should check now while I wait. There were 2 other tills in the shop and it was very quiet, as what would happen if she made another mistake and gave too much change out??

So she apparently went to call head office, came back and said she needed to count it out by hand. And low and behold within 5 mins she gave my daughter her change.

A tiny victory I know, but one that my daughter is proud of. :)

HOW TO...DUMMIES GUIDE TO CAG...Read here

STEP BY STEP GUIDE...Read here

F&Q's... Read here

EVERYTHING YOU NEED THE A~Z GUIDE...Read here

Go to our Cag Toolbar Download page here

Please don't forget this site is run on DONATIONS If this site has helped in any way, then please give a little back. ;-)

Any opinions are without prejudice & without liability. All I know has come from this site. If you are unsure, please seek professional advice. .

Just as an aside, the shop (any shop) is NOT legally obliged to give a customer change!

Yes I know it sounds silly, but it would be perfectly legal for a shop to take the money you tender for goods and NOT give you any change at all.

Obviously that doesn't happen in the real world (except on buses that display EXACT CHANGE ONLY or parking machines that state NO CHANGE GIVEN), but it's true and perfectly legal.

I'm glad you got your money back though £7 is a lot to lose because of human error

Mossy

Reference or citation please Mossycat.

Royal Mint says:

Both parties to a transaction are free to agree to accept any form of payment whether legal tender or otherwise according to their wishes. In order to comply with the very strict rules governing an actual legal tender transaction it is necessary, for example, to offer the exact amount due because no change can be demanded.

Frequently Asked Questions

Mossycat is 100% correct...Consider vending machines that state "use exact cahange" or "no change given".

However it would be commercial suicide for a shop to impliment a no change policy.

• Haha 1

However it would be commercial suicide for a shop to impliment a no change policy.

Yep, and that's exactly why they give change.

Just as another aside the reason why a lot of retail prices end in .99p is NOT because £9.99 sounds cheaper than £10.00 and therefore tempts you into buying it, it is because of change.

A customer who buys something at £10 and pays for it with a £10 note might not wait for a receipt, but if the goods are priced at £9.99 most customers would wait for their change, which forces the sales assistant to ring the sale through the till.

The .99p pricing was introduced to reduce staff theft because they couldn't pocket the money paid and had to ring it into the till to get the change the customer was waiting for.

Mossy

you think £7's bad

once went into the bank and put £400 in, it hadnt gone in next day so i went and asked to be told "theres no record of the transaction".... they asked if i had the reciet from it, and i pointed out i hadnt been asked.

they closed the area of the kiosk down and checked the staff members till that had apparently not been cashed up overnight?????

found the £400 fortunatly cos i was ready to kill someone that was our holliday money

Please note:

• I am employed in the IT sector of a high street retail chain but am not posting in any official capacity,so therefore any comments,suggestions or opinions are expressly personal ones and should not be viewed as an endorsement or with agreement of any company.
  • i am not legal trained in any form.
  • I have many experiences in life and do often use these in my posts

if ive been helpful kick my scales, if ive been unhelpful kick the scales of the person more helpful :eek:

Its a simple contract issue.

The marked price is an invitation to a treat - so if you pay for an item costing £5 with a £10 note... you are the one offering to pay double the price.

If the seller does not want to give change then it is their choice... as the customer you either pay the correct price or don't buy the item at all!

I know all that but would still like to see it in black and white or it becomes just another myth.

Tendering £10 for a £5 item is not offering to pay double the price unless you make that obvious.

I think that is about as black and white as it gets!

The leading cases on Invitation to treat are; Fisher v Bell [1961] and Pharmaceutical Society of Great Britain v Boots Cash Chemists Ltd [1952].

None of these cases concern someone not recieving change, but they do state that where goods are advertised in a shop, there is no offer by the shop keeper.

Therefore it is the customer that makes the offer. So, if you did hand over £10 and the cashier said "i will not be giving you change", you would not be able to demand change.

the answer is in fact there is no LAW that requires change to be given , therefore it cannot be shown in law

however a shop / retailers etc etc would be stupid if they ran on , exact price of goods only and did not give change, however there is no actual law to stop them,

the giving of change is a service that is offered free of charge, and it can be withdrawn at anytime

there are many self serve facilitys that do not supply change such as vending machines, and in most cases they will have a sign saying "NO CHANGE GIVEN" simply because people would be complaining left right and centre,

NEVER FORGET

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Help Our Hero's Website

http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/

HIGHWAY OF HEROES

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/bear-garden/181826-last-tribute-our-lads.html

Like Cooking ? check the Halogen Cooker thread

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/bear-garden/218990-cooking-halogen-cookers.html