Council Admit they have been negligent with my claim

liesauk
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5230 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Ok, so long story cut very short hopefully.

I have been claiming housing benefit whilst working for about a year, in September I notified council I had gone self employed. they said they would contact me about this. November 13th they suspended my claim and sent me a letter asking me to provide proof of income details and asked me to fill out form enclosed about my self employment details. No form was included. I phoned them and they said that they would have to send the form out. This was on the 20th. I explained that my situation was difficult I needed my housing benefit to pay the rent, they said that they couldnt help that and my claim would stay suspended until sorted. I told them that they had screwed up by not sending out the form, they did apologise and after i demanded to speak to a manager they emailed me the form. Form was duly received by them on the 24th and entered on system. I phoned them every other day to chase claim, they were nice enough to tell me they had 28 days to process.

In amongst all of this I had changed banks and sent them a recorded delivery letter(as requested by them) notifying them of this. They recorded this on the system on the 4th November.

I was under severe hardship as my business is new and I dont take any monies from it at the moment. I was using all of my tax credits just to pay rent. I have 4 children aswell to support. at the first week in december I was told my claim had been sent higher up as they had worked out the claim but due a 'computer fault'(their words not mine) it would not be entered on the system. So my claim was being delayed due a computer fault!! I was at wits end at this point and owed 800 quid. On the 8th december they finally told me that i was ok.. the money was being sent in two parts 600 in one go and the other 300 later on. i was over the moon it would be here in time for christmas. as i put the phone down i had a sickening thought, They will have sent it to the right bank?? i phoned back and was told no, it was going to the old one.. it takes up to 28 working days to be processed, it was 2 days short of that!! i broke down on the phone. not least because i had been told at least 4 times prior that they system had beenupdated. I asked them to stop the payment but it was too late. Any way I asked to put in a complaint about the whole process.

I have found out today they are sending out an apology and an offer of compensation. My question in all of this is, if they are offering compensation without me asking.. if it is a negligble amount would I have grounds to take them to court for the emotional and physical strain this has put myself and my husband under?

Liesa

xxx

Hi Yes seems to me that councils get away with apologising by offering a small amount! Happened to me over c/tax. threatned legal action with help of my MP! got a substatial compenstation off my lot - serves them right.

Did you know many so called senior council managers eg Head of Housing - Head of refuse collection etc earn over £100000? and are always in meetings.

(ie who shall we screw up next type meetings?) Happy Christmas.