BT increased my monthly payment plan without notice.

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5231 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I'm wondering if this has happened to anybody else? I logged into my BT account on the 09/12/2009, only to find that BT had increased my monthly direct debit from £31.00 per month to £114.50 per month. I was shocked at this and attempted to edit my payment agreement online to make it less. Unfortunately, they set the edit options as unavailable and gave me little or no choice but to cancel my direct debit.

I'm sick of BT doing this, they put up the amount, if I didn't check it then I would have gotten a failed direct debit charge with my bank at Halifax and would have to pay an additional charge of £35.00

So, during my negotiations today with a live agent... They basically said that I had to pay half the bill by the 01/01/2010, if I didn't then I would get my line restricted and get my Broadband cut off (Currently with Be Broadband). They forced me into a corner and I finally agreed that I could be hard pushed to afford £150 on the 11/01/2010 and would have to pay £67.00 every month thereafter.

I think it's silly that they get away with murder, asking people with limited income to stump up an increase from £31 to £114.50 in such a short period of time and it's Christmas!

Does anybody have advice where I stand and whether or not I can force them to accept my original payment agreement which I sent asking if I could pay £100 a month until 1st April 2010. Have my calls on incoming calls so the bill dosen't get any bigger, and keep my broadband line connected. The Live agent originally wanted me to pay the whole bill on the 01/01/2010, I basically said "NO WAY! ARE YOU CRAZY!".

Anyways, let me know what I can do and if I have a valid complaint to take up with somebody about this.

Thanks!

Partners mobile phone call usage. Basically, I've had a massive arguement over this. But I thought BT could only increase your monthly payment direct debit with 14 days notice or something along those lines. I haven't received a single letter or e-mail advising me of an increase. I'm thinking I should have just let it go through, get the bank charges and open a complaint about the amount being changed without a scrap of written notification. But they'd probably fob me off with (it's your duty to monitor your usage). Bleh ::-x

I had this last time, nobody would accept fault. BT increased the amount without first writing to me or e-mailing me with an intent to increase the monthly amount by so many £ per month. It went through to the bank, the bank knocked it back saying "Not enough funds" and I got a £35 bank charge. I contacted BT and kicked off, saying you didn't inform me of an increase. BT said, it's not our fault... you should have been keeping an eye on it yourself. The bank said they couldn't reverse the bank charges as they can only credit money back that has been taken. As there was no funds there for BT to take, then they couldn't credit any money back. Nobody accepted liability for the mistake and I was left with £35 bank charges and I was forced to cancel my direct debit to prevent BT representing their Direct Debit again. :(

Edited by gpbrown81

They normally put the change on your latest bill in the form of footnote or did on mine any how, I access mine online and it says how much dd is to be. Last time I speant more than planned it was a shock to see dd go from 28 to 60 but it did say it on last bill online. I didnt get email warning either but still went into shock.

They normally put the change on your latest bill in the form of footnote or did on mine any how, I access mine online and it says how much dd is to be. Last time I speant more than planned it was a shock to see dd go from 28 to 60 but it did say it on last bill online. I didnt get email warning either but still went into shock.

Turns out that they did squeeze that bit of information into my bill, I'm online billing so it's difficult to notice these things unless you download the pdf file and actually read it properly. I just read overview on my screen, the part that lists your charges etc for that period.

I think the way they operate stinks and they need to have some automated system set up that either writes to the customer or e-mails them with a brief note. "Hi, it's BT here... sorry, but your montly payment amount is going up by £83.50, let's see if you have a merry christmas... HO HO HO! We definately will!"

I suppose with every organisation, they rely heavily on people not noticing the obscure footnotes, those late payment charges and reconnection fees buy the bubbly at the shareholders christmas banquets. :D

Edited by gpbrown81

Partners mobile phone call usage. Basically, I've had a massive arguement over this. But I thought BT could only increase your monthly payment direct debit with 14 days notice or something along those lines. I haven't received a single letter or e-mail advising me of an increase.

Sorry, no, This is a common misconception. BT do not have to notify you in advance. You agreed this when you agreed to use direct debit.

You may find this thread useful:

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/telecoms-mobile-fixed/238198-bt-contract-problem.html

The Monthly payment plan is a budget scheme, and if your phone usage goes over some trigger points, the monthly chatge is increased to ensure there will not be a shortfall building up on the account. They're also very slow in reducing it (and I've never seen them reducing it voluntarily).

Perhaps we shouldn;t let suppliers take control of out finances? I feel we're in a better position to realise what is in our best interests, and to expect ANY third party to do this is going to end in tears.

BT did the same to me years ago. I no longer use direct debit with them as I don't trust them. Their monthly costs were always a lot higher than necessary and like Buzby says, they are a nightmare to get money back from. I get my bills on-line and pay by debit card. I get charged more for this privilege but would rather do that than give them access to my bank account.

I intend changing my supplier soon - but I suspect I have a fault on the line and want BT to fix that first so they can't just blame the new provider as I believe they are prone to do.

Jan

a little FYI... the call center staff get a bonus (about 25p) for signing someone to MPP.

If in doubt, contact a qualified insured legal professional (or my wife... she knows EVERYTHING)

Or send a cheque or postal order payable to Reclaim the Right Ltd.

to

923 Finchley Road London NW11 7PE

Click here if you fancy an email address that shows you mean business! (only £6 and that will really help CAG)

If you can't donate, please use the Internet Search boxes on the CAG pages - these will generate a small but regular income for the site

Please also consider using the

C.A.G. Toolbar

A slight consolation if you incur future Bank Penalty Charges for unpaid Direct Debits to BT....

I notice that you bank with the "Halifax", like I do.

Last month I got stiffed with a Penalty Charge for not having enough in my account to cover my monthly payment to "Tiscali", as for some reason "Tiscali" wanted their money on November 21st instead of the usual 1st of the month.

When I received my "Halifax" Bank Statement last week, it showed that they have reduced their 'Penalty Charge' for an unpaid Direct Debit, from the original £35.00p, down to just £15.00p.

They never told me of this change, but I'm not complaining.

You should be getting charged the new £15.00p too, so best check.

Good Luck,

Border Collie of Scotland.