Help - garage have sold my car without my consent!

goosemc
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5232 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi all, I wonder if anyone can help me with a very complicated issue...

I am the owner of a T reg Vauxhaul Tigra. I still have my logbook and all documents relating to this vehicle.

In june of this year, my car's cambelt broke and a mechanic friend of my boss offered to help out.

He towed my car to the garage he works at and examined it and informed me the car needed a new engine.

He said he would hunt around for a new engine and let me know costs etc. A month went by and I found an engine on ebay and called to let him know. He informed me "oh no, don't touch an ebay engine, you'll end up with worse than you already have"... I trusted him and left him to keep searching for me.

More time went on, it was now September and I called again and he advised me to cancel my insurance as the car was held at the garage and would be covered under their insurance. He also advised that I should SORN the car to get the last few months of tax back while he searched for an engine.

He said, and I quote "don't worry, it can stay here as long as it takes, it could even be months, I'm not having any luck finding an engine yet"

I thanked him and told him to please call me if his boss needed the car moved and they needed the space back and he agreed. As he was a personal friend of my (now retired) boss, I had no reason to doubt him.

On friday evening of this week I received a letter from the DVLA that someone was trying to claim ownership of my car!!!

I called them this morning and was informed that someone had indeed got my vehicle and was claiming ownership.

I called the garage and they informed me that they had scrapped my car without my consent!!! When I questioned this he told me "sorry, we couldn't find an engine and it wouldn't have been worth it anyway due to the age of the car, we thought you'd want it scrapped"

I called the scrapyard, who informed me they took the vehicle an estimated 5 months ago from the garage and put (wait for it) a new engine that THEY had waiting there into my car and sold it.

I called the police who won't do a thing! As far as I am concerned the car is stolen, but they said I need to go to the CAB about it.

This is utterly crazy, the "new owners" will own my car officially in 14 days time according to the DVLA and there seems to be nothing I can do about it as the police are treating it as a civil matter.

This is theft! I never gave consent for the vehicle to be scrapped or sold, To top this all off I even still have possesions in the car - sunglasses, stereo, tapes, a carpark pass to my husbands place of work and personal bits and bobs.

What on earth can I do? I cannot afford to fight this in the courts but I am not elligable for legal aid due to being in full time paid employment.

Help! :(

I'd say no to the DVLA, they do not have permission to move ownership.

and force the local plod to issue a crime number, do not take no for an answer

could the op claim fraud?

I say he's been defrauded out of his car.

he could then force the plod to react with Section 4 of the Criminal Law Act 1967

"It is an offence under Section 4 of the Criminal Law Act 1967 to conceal a crime under false pretences."

IE claim the plod claiming its a civil matter.