fighting for disabled housing

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5225 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi

Currently I'm fighting my council for suitable adapted housing. We've been at the top of the housing list for years watching suitable houses going to able bodied families. I don't think my council likes housing disabled people.

Papers are at the barristers for judical review after years going through the "proper complaints procedures" and getting exceptionally bad support/advice from local councillors, MP and LGO and the local Shelter.

Finally they "may" offer us a house, "if" they can get the funding and "if" they can get planning permission for a "possible" extension and finally "if" the housing association it belongs to is prepared to do without rent for at least six months while the funding is allocated and work done. And they will not have the funding till atleast April.

Is it me or are they taking the p***?

• 3 weeks later...

Just goes to show how different councils work. My wife and I were both disabled after a traffic accident. Our home at that time was no longer suitable. We were assessed by council and were immediately put at the top of list for disabled and seriously ill applicants. I was informed that we would require a two bedroomed single floored home. a wet room in place of a normal bathroom and doors suitable for my wifes wheelchair. Within six weeks we were informed that a two bedroomed bungalow would be available in two weeks when relatives of previous tenant had cleared the house(tenant moved to care home). I asked how long to make this suitable answer they would install wet room as soon as house cleared and keys handed in, the doors of all their two bedroomed bungalows were built to allow for wheelchairs. So ten weeks after coming out of hospital we were in our bungalow, just had to wait another six weeks for completion on sale of old home. The council could not have been more helpful. I was very surprised to be told by council that we qualified for housing when we owned our own home only to be told that we were not considered to be making ourselves homeless due to the circumstances of the accident.

This occured approx 8 years ago.

dpick

Just goes to show how different councils work. My wife and I were both disabled after a traffic accident. Our home at that time was no longer suitable. We were assessed by council and were immediately put at the top of list for disabled and seriously ill applicants. I was informed that we would require a two bedroomed single floored home. a wet room in place of a normal bathroom and doors suitable for my wifes wheelchair. Within six weeks we were informed that a two bedroomed bungalow would be available in two weeks when relatives of previous tenant had cleared the house(tenant moved to care home). I asked how long to make this suitable answer they would install wet room as soon as house cleared and keys handed in, the doors of all their two bedroomed bungalows were built to allow for wheelchairs. So ten weeks after coming out of hospital we were in our bungalow, just had to wait another six weeks for completion on sale of old home. The council could not have been more helpful. I was very surprised to be told by council that we qualified for housing when we owned our own home only to be told that we were not considered to be making ourselves homeless due to the circumstances of the accident.

This occured approx 8 years ago.

dpick

Excellent however are you implying that if the accident had been your fault the council would have decided you had made yourself homeless & not assisted you:eek:

It is nice to know not all councils are bad.

Babybear, ring back social services and ask them for a date when your assessment will take place and find out who deals with it. From experience it is very easy to get lost in the system, unfortunately it is necessary to remind social services that you are there and need their help.

Good Luck