Benefits to A Non Practising Policy

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5230 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

A friend of mine is a chiropodist (podiatrist) and is thinking of a change of career. It has been suggested that she takes out a non practising insurance policy.

This isn't my area of expertise so I'll ask the question here....

Is there any benefit to her in having this type of policy, to my mind once she gives up treating patients she no longer needs liability insurance, and if a claim were to materialise from a former patient for something she did whilst she was in business then it would be dealt with by her insurers at that time.

Anyone?

Mossy

Hi Mossy,

Although not my area; I would tend to agree with your thoughts, the insurer from the time of 'negligence' if it were to arise would be liable, and as liability certificates have to be retained I can see no benefit in doing so...

although-

I have had a dig on google, and everything seems to be Americanised (compo culture etc) however they refer to a non practising extension, which allows you to report an incident after the end of a liability policy, as though all incidents must be reported before policy expiry?

sorry I cant help further.

Insurance Guy

If I can offer any help I will....

I have experience in Fault, Non-Fault & Disputed Liability Motor Claims for vehicle damage and hire, and some experience in Personal Injury Claims

If I've helped- please click my scales :D

ANY ASSISTANCE IS GIVEN ENTIRELY WITHOUT PREJUDICE- YOU SHOULD SEEK INDEPENDANT LEGAL ADVICE TO CONFIRM ANY ADVICE GIVEN

FEEL FREE TO PM ME A LINK TO YOUR THREAD IF YOU WOULD LIKE ADVICE 8-)

Hi Mossy,

Although not my area; I would tend to agree with your thoughts, the insurer from the time of 'negligence' if it were to arise would be liable, and as liability certificates have to be retained I can see no benefit in doing so...

although-

I have had a dig on google, and everything seems to be Americanised (compo culture etc) however they refer to a non practising extension, which allows you to report an incident after the end of a liability policy, as though all incidents must be reported before policy expiry?

sorry I cant help further.

Hi IG

Thanks for taking the trouble, I also Googled it and like you came up with lots of American references.

My way of thinking is still that the Insurer at the time the policy was in force would deal with a claim, even if it is reported after the policy expiry, because they were the insurer concerned at the time.

Cheers

Mossy