Money Shop postcard "Agent Will Visit"

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5069 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi

I've posted previously. I have an outstanding £750 loan with Moneyshop, taken against cheques from an account that later went into default. I paid interest charges for a couple of months. However, as I missed the latest (November) interest payment as I couldn't afford it, the Moneyshop presented the cheques which the bank then refused to honour.

The Moneyshop took November's interest payment of £117.50, plus a further £75 charges, without permission from my wife's bank account, as I had used her debit card the previous month (I've since cancelled the card!).

I answered their calls initially and tried to negotiate a position, but they were not interested and very abrupt. I then told them to write to me, and I have since opted not to answer their calls. I have not received any letters, but have subsequently received a card from their head office advising that they "have instructed [their] agent to call" this Thursday.

I don't deny the debt, however I need time to repay as the bank default effectively wiped out my banking facilities. I want sensible discussion on the options, rather than inane bullying and shows of strength.

Who will "the agent" be ... a bailiff? And what rights will they have, and do I have? I can't imagine it'll be a visit for a cup of tea and a chat!!

As I understand, I should not grant access. As I also understand, they can't do anything until they've obtained permission from the court, and if they sought this I would be contacted in advance of any hearing as the defendant? Is all of this true, and can I therefore meet him outside and simply tell him to go away, and to advise his/her client to put things to me in writing?

Any advice in advance of Thursday's "visit" would be most appreciated!!!

Thanks, Lamp

the threat to call will provably be someone on the phone, if someone turns up it will NOT be a baillif just some scroat on commsion, simple tell them to leave, and if they dont then inform them that you will call the police.

Thanks PGH. Their choice of the verb "call" does leave it unclear whether this is a visit or a telephone call, however given that they're always doing the latter, I anticipate the former!

I'll tell the "scroat" to beat it! Will my indebtedness be increased by a "charge" for this visit?

Once I can pay the capital (hopefully Jan/Feb), I assume I should transfer the original amount only to them and tell them to sue me for any difference (interest/charges/etc.)?!!!

Lamp

• 2 months later...
Have they visited yet?

No, never had a visit, and I've not had any cards for a while. Instead I'm being chased via phone and letter by a company called "Castlebridge Credit Management".

Their latest letter has advised me that "The Money Shop have indicated that if the outstanding balance is cleared within the next 30 days there is the potential that you may be able to use their services in future" ... oh, seriously?!!

• 4 weeks later...

They definitely do not send bailiffs... i worked there for almost 5 years and never ever heard of this happening..

Normal procedure for them is to harass these people frighten them to death with threats of bailiffs then sell the debt on!!

:)

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I had the same threat from a pay day lender, V Gates, operating under the title, 4Cashnow. They said that it was normal policy to visit one's work place after issuing a default on a loan. I explained my situation and also stressed that according to debt collection guidelines set by the OFT, that such a visit would be against such guidelines, as well as be considered a breach of section 40 of the administration of justice act 1970 (i.e harrassment). they seemed a bit more reasonable afterwards.